[Dread] Jenga beat up my dice! My results from the indie horror RPG.

Epidiah Ravachol

First Post
Matchstick said:
Quick question:

When playing, are people sitting around a table, like in a GenCon gaming room, or playing someplace where the table (and Jenga) are at least a little separate, like couches in a hotel room with a coffee table in the middle (but out of reach of feet, etc.)?

I'm picturing this as the latter, just because of the accidental bump factor.
The accidental bump factor is built into the rules and an important part of the game. But there is nothing in the rules that doesn't say you can't minimize this by putting distance between the players and the tower.

I've found while playing Dread, players will naturally start spreading themselves out, away from the table. Especially as people get careless with the growing nervous energy. At some con games, late at night, when we are the only group left in the room, it is not unusual to see the players each sitting at their own table with the tower teetering on some central table.

I will suggest that you do keep the tower in the middle, however, and not off to one side. It is important that everyone have that reminder in front of them.

Nyarlathotep

Explorer
How well does the game work with a smaller group playing? I've bought the book and am waiting as patiently as I can for it to arrive, but my playing group is generally only 3 to 4 players plus myself GMing.

Matchstick

Adventurer
Epidiah Ravachol said:
I will suggest that you do keep the tower in the middle, however, and not off to one side. It is important that everyone have that reminder in front of them.

I had thought of that too. Gotta keep that constant reminder going.

:)

LostSoul

Adventurer
Piratecat, how did you handle failed pulls? Did whatever the PC was trying to do just not succeed, or did you jazz it up a little?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Okay, picture this scenario:

[sblock=Spoiler for what may actually be a fun plot]The PCs are college students belonging to PETA (people for the ethical treatment of animals.) They are breaking into a lab known to use animals as test subjects. What the PCs don't know is that it's a secret government lab, and the test animals are now very powerful psionics who have managed to control the humans and who have killed the scientists, one by one, for the animals' sadistic amusement.

Unknowingly, the PCs walk down the hallway when a mind-controlled lab tech pops around the corner with a fire axe. She is babbling and unskilled and has clawed out one of her own eyes. She is clearly dangerous and insane; the PCs want to disarm her while she's still talking and before she attacks. "Pull to grab the axe away from her," I say.

Well, there are four possibilities on the pull.

1. They pull and succeed. That means that they're successful in what they were trying to do. In this example, they've managed to yank the axe away from the lab tech without getting significantly hurt. I'd probably have them pull at least one more time to avoid getting bitten or clawed by her in the tussle.

2. They elect not to pull, or they start to and change their mind. In this case they will fail in whatever they're trying to do. In our example they try for the axe and don't pull it away. (Sucks for them, because I'd then have them pull to avoid the inevitable axe blow. If they didn't want to pull for that, either, they'd be struck by the axe. It would hurt them but not kill them, since normally only knocking down the tower does that.)

3. They take one for the team and purposefully knock down the tower, killing themselves but succeeding in their intended action. They would be killed by the axe but in a dying act of self-preservation, rip it from the hands of the mad-woman.

4. They pull and accidentally knock down the tower. Their action failed. Either immediately or soon, something will remove them from the game. In this case, the axe catches them in the throat. They'd turn gracefully and spray hot arterial blood across all of their friends' faces.

But what if I didn't want to off them so quickly? Perhaps I'd have one of the animals mind control them; I'd take the player aside, explain that they were now an agent of the animals, and have them secretly lead the rest of the PCs into real danger. Or maybe I'd use the "dead man walking" rule, where they'd take the role of "that guy everyone knows in gonna get killed" in horror movies. Their death is inevitable, and it's only a question of when... but they can still play a while longer. Either way, though, once they knock down the tower they are no longer permitted to pull from it, and anything difficult they try to do will automatically fail.
[/sblock]
These alternatives work nicely; after all, if someone knocks over the tower when trying to notice something, they can't get killed by a spot check! So you kill them in a nifty way soon afterwards, or do whatever is the most fun / horrific / impressive way to remove their character from the game.

Last edited:

Asmor

First Post
Piratecat said:
These alternatives work nicely; after all, if someone knocks over the tower when trying to notice something, they can't get killed by a spot check!

Or maybe they succeeded a little too well on that spot check? Who says it can't kill you? >=)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Asmor said:
Or maybe they succeeded a little too well on that spot check? Who says it can't kill you? >=)
"Okay, Larry glances quickly through the diary - and then he turns to the rest of you, melting eyes bubbling noisomely as they stream down his face. You smell something akin to rotting meat. Larry, do you scream as you die?"

"... yes?"

"Anyone else want to read the diary?"

"NO!"

Remove ads