Dresden Files - Things that Go Bump

sniffles

First Post
I was a little disappointed that the episode last night wrapped things up so tidily, but I would have been a lot more disappointed if they'd gone out on a cliffhanger and then not been renewed, as has happened to a number of other series I enjoyed.

My fiancee was commenting last night that although Morgan doesn't in any way resemble the character from the books, he's a good character. I feel the same way about Murphy. I wonder if they're going to lose the romance with Susan from the books in favor of a romance with Murphy. There are hints of attraction in the first couple of books.

I'm not sure I'll like it if they do that, though. When a series that doesn't start out with a romantic attachment between the characters already in place, adding a romance usually ends up feeling like a lazy writer's plot device.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Nightfall said:
Dog,

Depends on the ratings. I hope they were strong enough for a second season. We'll just have to wait and see.

Didn't much care for the season finale, since the build up wasn't as cool as somethings. Still, a rogue cop using magic was interesting.

Well, I hope they were good enough to keep.

The season finale was good, IMO, but not what I was expecting. I suppose the dealing with the family stuff [like how his mother died] and more interesting dealings with the Wizard's council and other organizations [assuming there are any] will be dealt with during the 2nd season, assuming it gets renewed.

Elf Witch

First Post
Matchstick said:
Oddly, I really like the TV Murphy. For some reason she just has come across to me more successfully in that visual medium than she did in the books. The Connie/Karrin thing is kind of silly, but other than that I like the TV version.

I missed the first part of last night's Dresden. My wife said she wasn't going to turn it on so we could watch the later one together, but she "couldn't resist". Hopefully that bodes well for the show getting some more episodes.

I don't like the character mainly because of the way they seem to be milking her not believing in magic even though it is right in front of her face. As much as I loved X-Files that used to be a peeve of mine with Scully.

The Murphy in the books works on a special unit that investigates weird crimes. She is not so head in the sand about magic and weirs stuff. It makes sense that uses Harry's as a consultant in the books. I have yet to understand why the Murphy of the TV series ever hired him in the first place.

I have nothing against the actress I think she does a great job with with what she has been given to work with.

I have written SCI-FI at the address given on Dresden File site on the SCI-FI forums asking for a second season. They are asking if you like the show to write and let them know there is an interest in a second season.

Elf Witch

First Post
sniffles said:
I was a little disappointed that the episode last night wrapped things up so tidily, but I would have been a lot more disappointed if they'd gone out on a cliffhanger and then not been renewed, as has happened to a number of other series I enjoyed.

My fiancee was commenting last night that although Morgan doesn't in any way resemble the character from the books, he's a good character. I feel the same way about Murphy. I wonder if they're going to lose the romance with Susan from the books in favor of a romance with Murphy. There are hints of attraction in the first couple of books.

I'm not sure I'll like it if they do that, though. When a series that doesn't start out with a romantic attachment between the characters already in place, adding a romance usually ends up feeling like a lazy writer's plot device.

I really like the Morgan in the tV series like Bob the changes have added to the enjoyment of the show.

I don't think they are going to do anything with him Susan. I don't know how I feel about a romance with Murphy I am rooting for it in the books but I am not sure about how it would work on the TV show.

Matchstick

Adventurer
Elf Witch said:
I don't like the character mainly because of the way they seem to be milking her not believing in magic even though it is right in front of her face. As much as I loved X-Files that used to be a peeve of mine with Scully.

The Murphy in the books works on a special unit that investigates weird crimes. She is not so head in the sand about magic and weirs stuff. It makes sense that uses Harry's as a consultant in the books. I have yet to understand why the Murphy of the TV series ever hired him in the first place.

I have nothing against the actress I think she does a great job with with what she has been given to work with.

I have written SCI-FI at the address given on Dresden File site on the SCI-FI forums asking for a second season. They are asking if you like the show to write and let them know there is an interest in a second season.

I agree regarding Murphy and magic. I'm hoping that at some point she does get into a situation where she has to be exposed to magic, so that she and Dresden can communicate about it. The dragon episode had me going for sure, as I thought that was going to happen.

If nothing else I think that's a growth direction for the show. Down the line they can look at opening Murphy's eyes and seeing how that changes their relationship. They can also get Murphy in big trouble (lots of potential there) and get her assigned to the weird crimes team. I think the show is one that would really get better with time.

I agree about the Dresden/Murphy romance as well. It sure seems like they're heading that way on the show, and I'm fine with it.

I'll send mail about the show also.

Remove ads