• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Drizzt Do'Urden Poll: Love Him Or Hate Him?

Drizzt: Love Him Or Hate Him?

• I love Drizzt. He is the best thing ever.

Votes: 54 47.4%
  • I hate Drizzt. He is the worst thing ever.

Votes: 60 52.6%

Arilyn

Hero
I can't love him or hate him, as I have never read any of the books or had him pop up in any of my Forgotten Realms campaigns. Little tired of hearing about him I guess?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It’s not a black and white question...waitaminit.

I know it’s impossible, but I’m indifferent, too. Never read a syllable of D&D fiction by any writer.

There’s two big problems with Drizzt:

1) The fans. Too many people making clones of the character. But this is less of a thing now that more varied fantasy fiction is popular. Jon Snow clones are probably more common.

2) Limted Writers. Bob Salvatore isn’t the strongest writer or plotter. Imagine what Batman would be if only a single creator wrote the character. Or Sherlock Holmes if no one other than Conan Doyle worked with him.
Lot of potential for different Drizzt stories that we just don’t see.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I had to vote Hate Him.

I love the character, but I cant forgive the fact that he's now the Iconic D&D ranger. So now, if you play ranger, you must love dual-wielding and pets, because this is want rangering is all about right? I think the existence of Drizzt is the reason the ranger class is all over the place in terms of themes and execution.

But I love the character in itself.

Mercule

Adventurer
Voted "Hate", but he's really only marginally worse than anything else the Realms have introduced. Really, I do not understand how anyone can make it through any of the novels.

I only voted "worst" because I had a drow in 1st edition - created in '85 or '86 that was a dual wield - back when dual wield was a drow thing, not a ranger thing. He was good, rasied by dwarves, named Obsidian.
Then the books came out and everyone thought I copied Drizzt. Grrr..
Pretty petty, but there you go.

Slit518

Adventurer
I too am indifferent to Drizzt, but I do own a lot of his books, and have read 8 of them, so I picked love him.

Too many people complain he's a Mary Sue. But after reading the first 8 books, I can say I've seen him in some prickly :):):):).

Now it's easy to look at it now that there are 30+ books out there and be like, "Okay, he survives. I know he'll get out of this." But if you look at it as if it were the time the book was released, you had no idea. :):):):), it's only book 6, he might die.

I've read about Drizzt falling, breaking an ankle, losing the skin on his hands, becoming a slave for (years? It was a while since I read that one), kidnapped, etc... Yes, he finds a way out, but that is the point of the main character, they're supposed to survive. And on occasion, it's not even him saving himself, it's someone else.

Now Bob does try to solve most of Drizzt's problems with his incredible speed. So much that he thinks Drizzt could beat Conan (laughs). I'm sorry, Bob, but Conan is only a hair slower than Drizzt, and a hell-of-a-lot tougher. He'd eat them hits and just... oh, wait, I went off topic.

I have no problem with Drizzt. He was the first good documented dark-elf that emerged from the fantasy explosion. I think most people have a problem with other people copying this concept with their own character, and trying to claim it original.

I only voted "worst" because I had a drow in 1st edition - created in '85 or '86 that was a dual wield - back when dual wield was a drow thing, not a ranger thing. He was good, rasied by dwarves, named Obsidian.
Then the books came out and everyone thought I copied Drizzt. Grrr..
Pretty petty, but there you go.

I can relate to this. I don't mean in a I have a good dark-elf kind of way. But in general. I've done/thought of something, and years later somebody else does it, gets recognized, and it's as if I never thought of it a while back.

Though, admittedly I did have a Drow Ranger main bad guy named Nar'Dier whose primary weapon is a bow, but in melee he dual wields. I almost gave him a snow leopard named Snow for an animal companion. This was before I knew of Drizzt. Then I discovered Drizzt and removed the Ranger identity and the snow leopard.

P.S.
Elves dual wielding, I think of Legolas in LotR when I see that. In fact, some of Bob's earlier books reminded me of LotR in certain parts.

Last edited:

Remove ads