Droid101's Story Hour, "Of Gods and Devils" Updated 10/12!

sandtiger

First Post
Update Please

Hey,

It's been awhile (months, sigh), but I wanted to say I still want you to update this story hour.

I am still interested in finding out what happens and miss your writing.

Sandtiger

the Jester

Legend
I understand how busy life stuff can take away from the SH writing time.

HOWEVER-

Please don't forget about this one! It's good fun! I'm not saying today or next weekend, I'm just saying eventually. :)

Droid101

First Post
“Excuse me?” Bink asks with a puzzled look on his face.

“Yeah, you forgot me!” Damaré says as he takes a step up to the beautiful elven maiden. “I’m Damaré, how you doing?”

“Right…” Jelodia steps back, smiling. “I am only familiar with the four I mentioned, sorry.”

“Familiar?” Eltharion says, as he takes a knee. “I’m familiar with you. You’re the most powerful druid in all of Aldor-Valencia. I aspire to attain the kind of power you control…”

“Yes, you four have been together the longest, as far as I can tell. I’ve heard many stories of your groups’ exploits,” Jelodia says, as she blushes slightly. “And thank you…”

“Interestin’…” Ogrim grunts.

“So… you need our help?” The Necromancer says.

“Yes, I have come because I have a plan to destroy the dark elves plans for good,” Jelodia responds.

“Why don’t you detail your plan, so we can tell you if we want to help,” Bink reasons.

“Of course. Please, allow me to sit,” Jelodia says, as she walks smoothly into the meeting hall and has a seat.

“Drink?” Ogrim slams a mug down in front of her, filled with ale.

“Thank you…”

“You sure have a way with the ladies,” The Necromancer says with a smirk.

“All right, so my plan…” Jelodia starts, as she sniffs the mug before her. “As you may know, the dark elves have taken over Brunswick castle. They also have taken over the dwarven strongholds in the northern mountains. Combine this with the fact that they are staging an attack on the Kingdom of Baron, and have their own city below the surface, and they have seriously thinned out troops.”

“She’s got a point…” Wren nods at Basil, and then to the Heroes.

“I saw the dwarves, led by the fallen Moradin, marching back toward their stronghold. They have no intent of being pushed away,” Jelodia says.

“Damn straight!” Ogrim adds.

“So, with an army keeping them busy to the north, and an army keeping them busy to the south, Brunswick is open for attack,” Jelodia says, and lets it sink in a moment.

“You want us to storm the castle?” Eltharion asks, intruiged.

“Exactly. But, I wouldn’t be asking for such brash action. I have a very powerful spell, High Magic, which will destroy the castle,” Jelodia says matter-of-factly.

“Then why do you need our help?” Adlai asks.

“I have to be inside the castle to cast it, and it takes an hour to take effect. During that time, I will be vulnerable, and need to be protected,” Jelodia says.

“Ah…” the Heroes nod in unison.

“I was going to try this either way, help or no, but of course our chances of success increase dramatically if I have a team of skilled adventurers backing me up,” Jelodia says.

“I’m in,” Eltharion says, no hesitation at all.

“Well, let me just say, that chances for survival are slim to none. I will not be making it out of the castle after my spell is cast, and I don’t imagine that any of you will, either,” Jelodia pauses. “This is a one way trip, so please make your decision with that in mind. We go in, we destroy their main staging ground on the surface. If Baron and the dwarves act accordingly, the dark elves will have nowhere to go but back underground.”

“But none of us live to see it…” Damaré says slowly.

Jelodia merely nods.

“How long do we have to decide?” Bink asks, then realizes his answer. “The dwarves are mounting their attack on the stronghold in two days. If I send a missive to Enzonito, I can have them strike out from the Wall of Baron at the same time.”

“Exactly. Two days then. Take your time and make your choice,” Jelodia stands, and walks to the door. “I’ll be around.”

The Heroes sit, quiet for a few moments.

“I don’t be knowin’ what else I’m gonna be doin,’” Viknen says, breaking the silence. “So I be in, now den.”

“I’m in. I’ll do anything to stop the dark elves…” Eltharion growls.

“You guys got banished and I couldn’t help you, now I’m gonna help as best I can. I’m in,” Damaré says.

“Peace to the world, glory to my race. I’m in,” Ogrim states.

“Where else am I gonna get a chance to die? Count this bloke in,” Bloodthorne says.

“I’m fighting so Blaze didn’t die for nothing. I’m in,” Grog says, clutching Blaze’s re-fitted gauntlet he’s wearing.

“What better way to test if I’m invincible… I’m in,” Bink chuckles.

“You think the battle that determines the fate of the world will be won without me? I’m so in,” The Necromancer grins with glee.

Everyone looks at Adlai.

“I failed you guys before, and I am determined to make sure I make it up to you. I’m in, and I’m not going to stop until you know I’m on your side…” Adlai says proudly.

“Adlai, get over it. We have,” Eltharion shakes his head, smiling. “So, you two, what are you going to do?”

Basil and Wren look at each other.

“You said you have a place in Sigil, did you?” Wren asks. “We could hold down the fort there until you return…”

“If we return…” Damaré says with a shrug.

“Good plan. Bellamy Bill is our seneschal there, he could use some help getting everything set up,” Eltharion says, nodding.

“So this is it then? Our last battle? Dying to save Aldor-Valencia?” Grog asks.

“As long as we can take them with us…” Eltharion grits his teeth.

The Heroes talk and drink for a while, when Jelodia finally returns.

“Have you made your decision?” she asks.

“We’re in,” Bink says triumphantly.

“Excellent. Now, I need to go over some specifics. Before we can go, I need to retrieve a powerful component that is used in my spell. I’ll need three of you to go with me,” Jelodia says.

“What do you need?” Adlai asks.

“A tooth from the mightiest beast that lives. A tooth from the Tarrasque.”

Will this be the end for the Heroes? Will the Tarrasque be the end for the Heroes before their siege on Brunswick? Does the plan sound insane, or what? All these questions, and more, will be answered, next time!

Last edited:

sandtiger

First Post
Okay,

I was trying to wait, so I could thank you and give you a bump at the same time :D

However, since you came back with a vengeance, I just had to say "hi" and "thank you".

Your first post in which they all agreed to commit suicide (heh), made me worry even further for their sanity. However, they showed remarkable restraint running from the Tarrasque. Surprised me.

Something occurred to me which I am not sure of. Can they not teleport out of Brunswick Castle when it collapses? Is there a block?

I don't want them to die!!!!

Tnaks for taking the time to write these up. Hope your enjoying the job changes.

Immensely pleased,

Sandtiger

Droid101

First Post
The rest of that day is spent planning and discussing.

They give all the belongings that they don’t feel they’ll need in the fight to Basil and Wren, who will take them to their mansion in Sigil.

“So, Jelodia, now can you tell us what your big plan is, so that we can be ready to support you properly?” Eltharion asks.

“Absolutely,” Jelodia replies. “The High Magic spell that I have created is very powerful, but also dependant on a material component. What the spell does, is it transforms me into a tree, and I will grow extremely fast.”

“A tree? That’s it?” The Necromancer scoffs. “We’re going to bring down the dark elves with a tree?”

“The strength of the component from a creature of this earth will decide the speed and size I attain. Since we retrieved a tooth from the most powerful creature alive, my growth will be immense. Enough to bring the entire castle down around me, and destroy any inside it,” Jelodia finishes.

“Oh…” The Necromancer nods.

“But, remember, the dark elves are no laughing matter. They will defend their holdings with fervor. We have to be prepared for the worst,” Jelodia reminds them.

“We can handle anything they can throw at us,” Eltharion’s teeth are already grinding.

“As you know, the Gods have fallen and walk Aldor-Valencia. The dwarven God, Moradin, joined the dwarves. So, we must assume that Lloth, the God of Chaos and the Drow, will be with them,” Jelodia says calmly.

The Heroes go pale.

“W-well, we killed that rat-God, right?” Grog questions.

“Yes, but he was a lesser God before he fell. And the fight certainly wasn’t easy…” The Necromancer says. “Lloth is one of the highest powers out there…”

“The way I understand it, there will be certain creatures guarding the castle. Once we are found out, they will send a small force from their front lines at Baron. If they receive no response from them, or get another distress call, then they will send more and more powerful things back from their front line. If it actually seems as though the castle will fall, they will no doubt send their most powerful generals, including Lloth, back to the castle to stop us. That is the way I see it unfolding,” Jelodia says.

“So, you’re saying I have a shot to kill Lloth…” Eltharion’s eyes glint with hatred.

“Don’t get ahead of yerself, we’re there to do a job,” Ogrim settles his friend down.

“Another reason I wanted to contact all of you, is that I have heard that you know Castle Brunswick very well. I need to know the best place to start casting my spell. The lowest spot in the castle, where the base of the darkness-emitting spire is, and the place we can most easily defend,” Jelodia says.

“Lowest spot… hm…” Bink wonders.

“The Oubliette,” Adlai says. Everyone nods.

“That might mean we have a way to escape, through the portal to Sigil down there!” Eltharion says.

“We should really scry the place, see what has changed,” Adlai says. “See how low the spire goes.”

“Who can you scry in there?” Bink asks.

“Well, nobody, but I can try to scry the portal in the Oubliette, and I can also try the teleportation device, if they haven’t destroyed it yet,” Adlai says.

“Oh wonderful, they have that too…” Damaré says.

Basil brings Adlai a mirror with which to scry. Everybody gathers around to watch closely.

“First, the teleportation device,” Adlai says, as he starts his arcane incantation.

An image swirls into view on the mirror. The room looks much the same as when they were there, rock-walls that were teleported into the castle when the device first arrived. However, they notice a few things different. First, there is a small glass-looking cylindrical object jutting off the wall about six feet up. Second, there are several dark elves wearing white clothing, inspecting the device, and taking notes.

“Hm, they probably don’t know how to use it yet, that’s good,” Ogrim says.

“Can you detect magic through the scry?” Eltharion asks.

“Yes, doing it now…” Adlai casts the detection spell through the scry-mirror. “The entire place seems full of abjuration, and the little glass thing has a lesser abjuration inside it as well.”

“Hm… it’s probably a viewing device. If we get near it, it will see us and alert someone to our presence,” Bink reasons.

“Possibly. What about the spell hanging in the air?” Eltharion asks.

Dimensional Anchor. I know because they put it up before they even took over the castle. Remember during the battle at Brunswick, we couldn’t teleport?” The Necromancer says.

“Damn… so we really will be stuck in there,” Eltharion shakes his head.

“But the dark elves will fall, friend,” Ogrim reassures Eltharion.

“Okay, scry the Oubliette now,” Damaré reminds him.

“All right,” Adlai ends his first spell, and scrys again.

The image that comes into view is nothing like how the Oubliette used to be. The shape is the same, 80 foot wide circular chamber that goes up about 100 feet, with a staircase spiraling along the side to get to the secret passage from the jail area above. The bottom, instead of the cells, are large holes in the walls scattered around. In the center, the black, rune-covered spire sits, extending the entire chamber, and on up to cast its darkness. The room is covered in spider-webs.

“Ouch… that’s ugly,” Adlai says. Everybody nods.

They see two of those glass-cylinders on the sides of the spire. Also, they see two driders (half dark elf, half spiders) milling about, tending to the spire.

“Detect magic,” The Necromancer says.

Adlai does so, and looks around.

“Much the same, except I see two abjuration auras overlapping, and of course the small abjuration in the glass-things,” Adlais explains.

“Probably an alarm spell and the dimensional anchor,” Bink surmises.

“That is where we I must place myself for the casting. I must be at the base of the spire to ensure its destruction,” Jelodia says.

“Then we plan around this,” Eltharion says.

“Can you scry anywhere else?” Ogrim asks.

“I can try the jail, so we can see the path we need to take to get to the Oubliette,” Adlai casts another scrying spell.

The image that appears is the jail. Three cells on each side, faerie fire light instead of torches or sunlight, two glass-cylinders on the walls, and a huge, 20-foot tall metal humanoid standing in the middle, motionless.

“Golem, no problem,” Bloodthorne puts in.

Ogrim is pale.

“Aint no iron golem, you fool. It’s made of adamantium…” Ogrim says slowly.

“You’re not serious are you…” The Necromancer says, deflated.

“I am,” Ogrim reassures him.

“Well, I’ve read up on adamantium golems, and that’s it for us. We can’t take it down. It’s impossible,” The Necromancer crosses his arms.

“Nothing’s impossible,” Eltharion says.

“Look, I like playing the big badass as much as you all do, but we can’t beat that thing. It’s not possible. I’m sorry, really, I wish we could…” The Necromancer pauses.

“You, wish?” Bink says slyly.

“I… I could try to wish that I was the creator, then I’d have control of it…” The Necromancer says, pondering.

“You can cast wish and you never told us Nekky??” Eltharion says, agast.

“It’s not a freaking toy!” The Necromancer replies.

“Can I get some new armor?” Grog asks.

“Can I get a new sword?” Eltharion asks.

“Can I get a pony?” Bink chuckles.

“Can you kill me?” Bloodthorne pleads.

“NO! No, no, and no,” The Necromancer shakes his head, pointing at each person in succession. “You remember the last time you had new armor Grog, you have like 50 swords already Elth, you can summon your own damn pony Bink, and you can’t freaking die Bloodthorne!”

“Okay, so that’s the plan then? Stroll in, control the golem, take the Oubliette, cast a spell, and save the world?” Damaré asks, incredulous.

“Yep.”

Can the plan work? Will anyone be able to escape? Will Bink get a pony? Tune in next time!

Droid101

First Post
“Well, let’s go to Sigil, show Wren and Basil where we’re at and set up any final stuff in case we don’t make it back,” Bink says, preparing his plane shift and teleportations.

Bink, Wren, Ogrim, Eltharion, and Basil all shift into the Outlands, and quickly teleport into the bustling planar metropolis that is Sigil.

“Oi, welcome!!” Bellamy Bill exclaims as he welcomes the Heroes back to their mansion.

“Hello Bellamy. We’re just dropping some stuff off. Get everything up and running as soon as you can. Wren and Basil will help you out if you need it,” Eltharion motions to them.

“Surely. Oi, and a letter arrived from someone in a place called Union. Says yer swords and yer axe are all ready,” Bellamy explains.

“They’re early! How fortunate!” Ogrim clasps his hands together eagerly.

“I guess we have one last stop before we head back to Aldor-Valencia then. Union it is,” Eltharion says.

“When did you guys go to Union? I’ve never been,” Bink asks.

“Oh, you were off in hell on a date with your girlfriend,” Eltharion muses.

“If you mean ‘In hell killing a greater devil lord general of the ruler of the second layer,’ then yes, yes I was,” Bink furrows his brow.

They bid Wren, Basil and Bellamy good bye, and head through Sigil to the gate leading to the trade-city of Union.

The blue-skinned, ten-foot-tall humanoid mercanes could be seen ushering people in and out of the gateway, charging, of course, for the right to trade. Eltharion and Ogrim have their passes from the last time they visited, and they were still valid.

“How about your friend there?” one of the mercanes asks.

“Oh, I’m not buying anything today,” Bink’s eyes glow and his robes flash.

The mercane nods. Nobody knows if it was by his own will or Bink’s.

They head through the city floating in space. It takes a while, but finally they reach the magic district, and make their way to the fiendish gargoyle’s magic shop, Suplindh’s.

Suplindh nods as they enter, his black horns and stony face betray his soft robes.

“Ah, I remember you. The one who needed all the scimitars. And you had the… axe and silver cloth,” Suplindh says.

“Yes! They’re ready early, then?” Eltharion asks.

“Yes, I was able to find the axe, which would have taken the longest to craft, and the rest is history,” he retreats into the back room, coming out with some black cases. After three trips, the table is filled.

Eltharion opens the four small cases, attaching the two holy silver and two holy cold iron scimitars to his belt. Ogrim opens the large case and inspects the large cold iron battle axe. He places the silver cloth on it, and it instantly grafts, changing the material of the blade to silver. He then removes the cloth and puts it away.

“Nice!” Ogrim nods in approval.

“Thank you guys, nice doing business with you,” Suplindh says with a smile. The Heroes head out.

“Okay, let’s not waste any more time,” Bink prepares another plane shift, and after their reality shifts, they are back on the prime material plane. A teleport later, and they are in the Adventurer’s Guildhall.

“Okay Adlai, you send a message to someone in Baron, and I’ll get the king of the dwarves,” Bink says, getting ready to coordinate their attack.

Both of them cast their spells, and await responses.

Tomorrow night, at the time of your attack, we will be attacking Brunswick Castle. Keep them busy as best you can. Bink sends to Strumdar Goldensoul, king of the dwarves.

Tomorrow night the dwarves are hitting their stronghold and we’re hitting Brunswick Castle, try to make an attack to distract the army if possible. Adlai sends to Enzonito.

“I sent my message to Enzonito, because since I was banished, I don’t know if it would be a good idea to send it to the king himself,” Adlai says.

“Good idea, he was always more reasonable,” Bink replies.

We attack tomorrow night at six. The battle will be glorious and we wish you the blessing of Moradin for yours. Bink gets the message back in his head.

“We’re good to go with the dwarves,” Bink says.

I’ll see what I can convince the king to do. No promises. Will send another message to you tomorrow morning. Adlai receives his message from Enzonito.

“Hm, no good news from Baron yet. Enzo will send me another message tomorrow with status,” Adlai looks down. “Hope they can work it out…”

“Where exactly are we teleporting in? Or are we just going to walk through the city?” Eltharion asks.

“Let’s go scouting Elth. You have the power to look like a dark elf, right? And I can shapeshift into a spider or something, I can be your pet!” The Necromancer chuckles.

“Good idea,” Eltharion concentrates, and his skin turns black, and his hair white.

“Not bad,” The Necromancer casts shapechange and turns into a small spider, who hops up onto Eltharion’s shoulder. He then hops down, and changes back to normal. “Let’s do it.”

The Necromancer readies their teleportation.

It is raining. It is dark. Almost pitch black. The disk of darkness emanating from the spire grows slowly, blocking out the sunlight above the castle and its surroundings.

The bridge crossing over into the city seems intact. The Necromancer casts mindlink and then shifts to spider form, hopping back onto Eltharion.

Let’s check it out. The Necromancer’s mind says directly to Eltharion’s.

Eltharion walks across the bridge, into the city. The rain soaks him quickly, but he merely pulls on his hood and continues.

Many of the buildings are destroyed. Some are still standing, but it’s obvious that the insides have been gutted, as many raging bonfires can be seen inside, with kobolds and goblins sitting around drinking and eating. Eerie faerie fire lights the main roads.

They’ve destroyed this place… I don’t know if we want it back now… Eltharion thinks to The Necromancer.

They continue on, seeing more and more of the kobolds and engineered goblins. As they approach the castle, they see some strange mechanical devices. They are large, and have kobolds inside of them, controlling them. Their movements are clumsy.

Those look like golems, but with kobolds inside controlling them? Eltharion asks.

The designs look dwarvish. Perhaps they pilfered them when they took over the dwarven stronghold, and are trying to learn how to use them properly. The Necromancer points one of his little spider legs toward a dark elf taskmaster, overseeing the kobolds, and whipping any who get out of line.

They reach the castle, and next to it, where there used to be a stable, there is a large cage, with a strange looking tentacled creature. It looks like a troll, tall, greenish, leathery skin and long features, but it has many tentacles spouting from its body, and its eyes are glazed over, with clearly no conscious thought. It is ravenously tearing through a pile of meat that has been thrown in by a muscular orc.

Very, very strange. Eltharion thinks.

Agreed. The Necromancer wiggles his spider abdomen.

Eltharion confidently reaches the large doorway to the castle, and pushes it open. Inside, the main hall looks similar, but twised. The pearly white columns and walls appear black. The bright light that used to illuminate the hall has been replaced by the sickly green and purple faerie fire. Above the throne there is a strange symbol carved directly into the wall. The throne is intact, but it looks dirty and used.

And, at that moment in time, it is used, by a dark elf in a long white coat. He has a pair of goggles propped up on his forehead, and is examining an object with something that looks like a tiny telescope, placed directly against his eye.

Eltharion approaches the throne and kneels.

I’m going to scout. The Necromancer hops off Eltharion and scuttles off into the side passage.

“I am here to report,” Eltharion says in Undercommon. “Everything around the castle is secure. No sign of the humans.”

“Hm,” the dark elf puts his viewing device down. “I could get used to all this bowing stuff. Who told you to report to me?”

“I am of House Deblora, and I have taken it upon myself to ensure the safety of the city,” Eltharion thought quickly, and came up with the name of the dark elves who had attacked them long ago.

“Ah, well, good then,” the dark elf replies.

“Is there someone else in charge that I should report to?” Eltharion asks.

“No, everyone important is leading the charge toward Baron right about now. They should fall within the week,” the dark elf seems confident.

“We can only hope,” Eltharion says, standing up.

I want to kill him so bad. Eltharion thinks to The Necromancer.

Control yourself, we are here for info only, don’t start trouble. The Necromancer thinks back.

A kobold comes from another room. He is wearing shabby clothes, and has a strange looking glowing collar around his neck. He is carrying a tray of what looks like assorted glazed insects and fungi. The dark elf takes one and eats it.

“You know, I have developed something, I think you should see it,” the dark elf says, producing a long syringe from his coat pocket. He jams it into the kobold’s neck, and releases its contents into the creature. The kobold drops the tray and falls to the ground, shaking violently.

Tentacles begin to sprout from the kobold, overtaking him. He hops up, a mass of flesh, gibbering, and approaches the dark elf. The glowing collar has fallen off…

…and the symbol behind the throne lights up a dull glow, and blackness surrounds the tentacled kobold, and it vanishes with a pop.

“This new mixture instantly turns the lowliest being into an almost invincible soldier, instantly!” the dark elf says.

“But that one tried to attack you,” Eltharion tries to stay cool.

“Well, we still have trouble controlling them,” the dark elf admits. “But the potential is there. Inject several soldiers while they’re engaging the front lines of combat, and the tides will turn quickly.”

“Looks like it can be very useful,” Eltharion says through gritted teeth. “I’m going to get back out there. Good luck with your research.”

“But of course,” the dark elf nods, going back to inspecting an object.

I’m out. Tell me what you can see. Eltharion thinks as he walks out of the castle, and through the town.

Lots of stuff. Went to the jail, saw the adamantium golem. Went down the hall, saw some room with a glowing portal like thing. Not sure what that was all about. Going down another hall now… The Necromancer relays to Eltharion. Oh, wow, this room smells terrible, lots of dead bodies piled up in here. Okay, going upstairs… ah! The teleportation device is here, ah. Okay, I’m getting out, I think I’ve seen enough.

Eltharion gets back to the spot they initially showed up at, and The Necromancer appears next to him in a moment.

“Good work Nekky,” Eltharion says, placing his hand on The Necromancer’s shoulder. “Now let’s kick their asses.”

They teleport back to the Adventurer’s Guildhall.

The pressure is mounting, the day of the attack has arrived! How will the Heroes fare? Is this plan too crazy to work? Did Eltharion want to try some glazed bug? Find out next update!!

Droid101

First Post
The next morning arrives.

Everyone prepares in their usual way.

Grog practices a few swings with his katana, Murasame.

Damaré polishes his spiked chain.

Ogrim tries the silver cloth on his cold iron axe, grunting in approval.

Adlai sulks while putting on his dazzling plate armor, complete with the seal of Brunswick.

Eltharion checks inventory on all of his various blades.

The Necromancer reads his spellbooks.

Bink fires off some prestigitations.

Bloodthorne fantasizes about his own death.

Viknen prepares his tribal incantations.

Jelodia checks the components for her High Magic.

“Adlai, I never knew you wore armor? I thought you were some kind of wizard,” Eltharion asks.

“Hey, I can fight and I can cast spells. Don’t get me wrong, I’m multi-talented,” Adlai responds.

“Good deal!”

“Well, I gave all our extra gear to Wren and Basil. They’ll be taking it to our mansion in Sigil,” Bink says.

“So den we be off, now den?” Viknen’s old hunched gnoll body is supported by his crooked staff.

“I’ll do the sending to the dwarves and to Enzonito to commence their attacks, and we’ll be off,” Adlai says, a little trepidation in his voice.

“We’re ready,” The Necromancer says with all the confidence in the world.

Adlai sends his messages.

“Time to teleport,” Adlai says.

The Necromancer and Adlai both cast teleportation spells.

Grog, Bink, Eltharion, Ogrim, Damaré, The Necromancer, Jelodia, Adlai, Bloodthorne, and Viknen appear in a hallway of Brunswick castle, just outside the small cellblock prison. Coming down the hall are two dark elven guards. They draw weapons and charge immediately.

Eltharion spins to meet them, his two new silver scimitars out in a flash. Grog charges forward and jams his katana into the flank of a guard, and Ogrim’s axe finishes him. Damaré’s spiked chain brings the other to the ground, and Adlai slices his neck.

“Good, now into the jail,” Adlai says, opening the doorway.

Just inside of the jail, they see the nearly 20-foot tall golem, made entirely of adamantium. The Necromancer quickly steps up. The air grows dark and cold around him, and the room seems to shrink as he speaks.

“I wish I was the creator, and therefore controller, of this golem…”

The golem takes a step toward them, then turns toward the back of the jail. Instead of a wall where the secret passage used to be, a huge opening, large enough for the golem to fit is.

“It worked!” Eltharion exclaims.

“Now let’s get busy,” Bink, from his Book of Infinite Spells, casts a break enchantment on the Oubliette chamber, shattering all of the interweaving magic auras permeating the chamber. The golem steps through onto the spiraling stairs, all of them now reinforced with adamantium.

The chamber is practically filled with spider webs, making it difficult to see anything. Bink creates a few fires, and the golem sweeps the webbing away as they decend the staircase. Ogrim spots a drider at the bottom, and jumps off the stairs. His axe-first dive almost cleaves the beast in half. At this point, the Heroes notice the various holes all around the Oubliette that didn’t used to be there. They notice them, because all kinds of spiders begin to emerge. Spiders as small as a fingernail, and as large as the adamantium golem The Necromancer controls!

Two ten-foot wide spiders emerge at the bottom near Ogrim, both concentrate and unleash dark energy at him, but his amulet absorbs both spells.

Bink’s eyes shift to the magical spectrum.

“Those spiders just cast horrid wilting!” Bink says, flabbergasted.

An even larger spider emerges from a hole hidden behind some webbing just above the rest of the group’s head. It waves its poison dripping mandibles, and another, more powerful wave of dark energy flashes at Damaré. He isn’t so lucky to possess a protective amulet, and in a puff all that is left is a pile of dust.

Destruction!?” Bink’s jaw drops.

“NO!!” The Necromancer yells. Through gritted teeth, he mouths the incantation for a horrid wilting spell of his own. The moisture drains out of the two smaller spiders near Ogrim, shriveling them both into nothing but dried up husks.

The rest of the Heroes run down the stairs, away from the larger spider on the wall near them. Bink dives behind a leg of the golem and fires off five magic missiles, each one pelting the spider. Adlai runs to the bottom and begins to examine the spire.

“The spells that are emanating from this thing are back up!” his detect magic proves his words correct.

The Necromancer isn’t listening. He turns his rage on the spider that destroyed Damaré.

“He was like my brother!” The Necromancer casts a flesh to stone, and ends the fight. The spider loses its grasp on the wall, and falls to the ground 60 feet below, the stone shattering into 1000 pieces.

Several other spiders start to emerge, but each one is dispatched easily, one after the other, from powerful overhead smashes from the golem.

“Glad he’s on our side,” Grog says, wide-eyed.

They set the golem up at the base of the stairs, and all gather around Jelodia.

“I’m going to begin the casting now. Please, if you can, place any protective spells you can on me,” Jelodia casts any kind of helpful spells she has left on the Heroes.

The Necromancer just stares off into space.

“We’ll get them… they’ll pay Nekky, they’ll pay,” Eltharion comforts his friend.

Jelodia begins to cast her spell. The tooth of the tarrasque is absorbed into her, and the room rumbles slightly, then stops. Her feet have already sprouted roots and are digging into the stone.

Adlai nods, and casts invisibility on her, and she is unseen.

Bink takes out his falchion and slashes the glass-cylinder attached to the spire.

“Better safe than sorry,” Bink says.

Adlai is still studying the runes, and Eltharion joins him.

“Fascinating. There must be several types of spells that are powered by this thing, other than the darkness,” Adlai notes.

Eltharion starts to climb the spire, studying the runes more closely himself.

Bink clears out as much of the webbing as possible. Most of the chamber is bare now.

“The portal’s gone,” Bink says. He points to where the blocked off cell was, and it’s just a larger hole in the wall now, the Heroes cannot see where it ends.

“So much for that out,” Eltharion shrugs. “We still have our key to Sigil.”

“I’ll go look out,” Bink casts spider climb and invisibility and climbs up the spire so he can see out into the jail. Just as he gets to the top, he sees a dark elf in robes, two with wild hair and longswords, and one spindly black demon, dripping black liquid from vicious claws, talking in the jailroom, preparing to enter the Oubliette. The demon’s eyes meet Bink’s despite his invisibility.

“They’re coming!” Bink yells.

The final battle has begun. One down, how many Heroes will fall? How much vengeance will The Necromancer take? Find out next time!

Remove ads