Droid101's Story Hour, "Of Gods and Devils" Updated 10/12!

Droid101

First Post
The next few days are spent in relatively quiet solitude.

Mourning the loss of their dear friend, Blaze.

Several announcements are made during that time.

The King of Baron, after careful consideration, is going to allow the bi-yearly trade gate to the planar city of Union to be opened as normal. At first fearing a security risk, the good and services available by opening the pathway far outweighed any potential risk.

Several mercanes – giant men with blue skin, known for their shrewd ways of negotiation – show up and start setting up a huge archway in the town center to be used as the gateway to Union.

Eltharion, Ogrim, Misani and Senman meet with Adlai the next day.

“All right, tell us everything you remember about being kidnapped,” Adlai says.

“Okay, well, it happened during the middle of the night. I was asleep, and the door burst open. A horrible looking demonic creature came in. It was floating. It only had a torso and two arms, and a head. No legs. It scared me half to death, and the next thing I knew I was tied up in that temple,” Senman explains.

“Same here,” Misani puts in.

“Demons…” Eltharion hisses.

“We’ll avenge Blaze, worry not,” Ogrim states.

“Can you scry The Necromancer? He could be of help during this time, and I haven’t seen him since we got back,” Eltharion says.

Adlai scrys using his mirror, and the image shows The Necromancer flying high above the ground at great speed.

“Looks like he’s going somewhere,” Adlai says. “I’ll try to contact him.”

Adlai casts a sending spell.

“He didn’t respond,” Adlai says after a moment.

“What did you ask him?” Eltharion says.

“I said we need him back here, trouble has arisen,” Adlai says, shaking his head.

“You think he could be behind the kidnapping?” Misani asks.

“I don’t want to even think that one of our friends would betray us…” Ogrim grunts.

“Well, the portal to Union should be opening in a couple of days. You should go there and see if you can get some new gear or new contacts. Plus, there’s always an open portal to Sigil there, so you can go check on your mansion if need be,” Adlai says. “I’ll talk to you all later.”

The Heroes make their way back to their inn rooms.

Eltharion hears a knock on his door. He opens it and sees a shapely female with pearly white skin. She has raven black hair, and two tiny black horns protruding from her forehead. She is quite frail. She wears all black.

“You are Eltharion?” her voice is soft.

“Yes… who are you?” he replies.

“I am Israkahn, I have come on behalf of Baalzebul. You have served him in the past, and he wishes to know if you would be interested in doing any further deeds in exchange for payment in the future,” she says.

“If the price is right,” Eltharion says.

“So be it. I shall return here when he thinks of a need that you can fulfill. Your payment for slaying Gryrtag has been delivered to your estate on Sigil. An extra amount was given for causing such duress to Dispater and his other lords,” Israkahn places a soft hand on Eltharion’s shoulder. “See you soon.”

Eltharion watches her walk off down the stairs. He tells Ogrim and Viknen about the woman and Baalzebul, but cannot find Bloodthorne.

“Should we trust her? I mean, we’re dealing with demons here…” Ogrim says.

“Devils. And supposedly they can be trusted. If the proposition isn’t so bad, we can go through with it if we get enough in return,” Eltharion says.

“We shouldn’t be spreadin’ out our resources too much now den,” Viknen says.

“If it’s not out of our way, I say we do it,” Eltharion says, and the others nod.

“We should demand help in the battle. Don’t devils hate demons?” Ogrim says.

“Yes that’s true,” Eltharion replies.

“So, we do what they ask, and then in return they supply forces to fight against the dark elves and demons?” Ogrim reasons.

“I think it sounds fair enough!” Eltharion responds, chuckling.

“The portal to Union opens tomorrow. We should go and see if we can sell some of the items we got from those skaven,” Ogrim says.

“Good idea,” Eltharion says, and they all go back to their rooms for the rest of the day.

The next day, they head to the town square to see the portal. Sure enough, the huge archway is set up. Several mercane guards stand around it. A long line of wagons is in front of it, ready to go in. Seems as if people from all over the continent have come to Baron to go through the portal to Union for some exotic trade.

“Well, let’s do it,” Eltharion, Ogrim and Viknen get in line.

“Couldn’t find The Necromancer?” Ogrim asks.

“Nope. He’s off doing his own thing I guess,” Eltharion says.

They progress in line, and after about ten minutes, the shapely Israkahn approaches them from the direction of the portal.

“I see you are on your way to Union. Good, you can accompany me. Baalzebul has a proposition for you, and would like it to be presented to you by his most trusted servant, Vashaak,” she explains.

“We are at your service,” Eltharion says. “This is Ogrim and Viknen.”

“I know of you. You did do us a favor by killing Gryrtag. Baalzebul doesn’t so soon forget his allies,” she replies.

They wait in line and finally get to the portal. Two mercane guards approach.

“Ten gold to enter, 25 for a trade pass,” a guard says.

Israkahn holds up her pass, and they let her through. Eltharion pays 75 gold for himself, Ogrim and Viknen, and they head on through.

Union is a strange and wonderous place. A town floating in space. That is the best description of what the heroes see. Roads surrounded by short walls connect different sections of the city. Looking down over the walls reveals empty space below, above and anywhere in between. Each sector of the city specializes in something different: armaments, magic, spice, entertainment, sex. Anything can be bought or sold in Union.

“Please, follow me. We shall be going to Chindra’s Palace of Delights. Vashaak is waiting there,” Israkahn says.

They make their way through the city. They see every race and creature imaginable. Devils, demons, angels, elves, dwarves, gnomes, planetouched, bariaur, and otherwise.

What will they run into in Union? Will they ever find out who was behind Blaze’s demise? Is is wise to be working with devils? Find out all this and more, next update!

Last edited:

Droid101

First Post
“So… you have brought me the book?” she was beautiful and horrible at the same time. Soft features. Pearly skin. Feathery white wings. But she had sinister black eyes. She wore black lingerie, and sat upon a fine throne.

“I have,” Bink replies. His rainbow robe starting to scintillate.

“Turn it over to me, and consider your debt repaid,” Indiffines the Wretched says with a seductive voice. Her eyes flared an evil only possible from an erinyes.

“And if I choose to keep it?” Bink says. The air around him almost electric from the latent magic ready to leap forth.

“Then I will have no choice but to kill you, and take it,” she tilts her head, staring directly into Bink’s eyes, trying her best to dominate him. Bink didn’t waver.

Bink just stared right back. However, Bink’s gaze began to overtake her. She felt a fear she never knew possible. She had seen the most vile creatures in all the levels of Hell, but she could not muster the will to hold the gaze.

She turned away, and in that split second of hesitation, she flitted away, nothing more than dust.

Bink put his hand down, which was still glowing slightly from the disintegrate spell he struck her with, right between the eyes. He turned and left her palace behind. The Book of Infinite Spells was now his. The pupil had become the master. The circle was closed. He could finally leave this Hell.

………

Eltharion, Ogrim, Viknen, and Israkahn made their way through the bustling city of Sigil, trying to get to their mansion. They find the four-story building, and Ogrim holds the door open for Viknen, who enters.

Just then, from behind them, they hear a loud trumpeting. So loud and piercing that it rattles their very bones.

From one side, they see a greenish-skinned female with feathery wings, glistening armor, and a polished silver trumpet. From the other, a celestial looking half-man half-hound, who charges them wielding a cold iron greatsword. The female angel’s trumpet changes into a greatsword as well, and she charges.

The angel touches Israkahn, envoking a banishment and sends her back to Hell. The hound archon slashes Ogrim across the chest.

Ogrim pulls out his axe and shield, hacking down into the hound. However, his attack doesn’t seem to affect the archon fully.

“Die, you scum!” the archon yells as it presses forward.

Eltharion spins his Sun-sickle and Moon-scimitar into his hands as he lunges at the angel. He strikes, her but his blades do not pierce her light green skin.

“Your evil cannot harm us!” the angel brings her sword over her head and slams it down into Eltharion three times, each one drawing a long line of blood. The hound archon similarly hacks into Ogrim, piercing through his adamantium armor, and injuring him greatly.

“You best be watchin’ out, now den,” Viknen says as he steps out of the house. Eltharion and Ogrim know to close their eyes. Viknen’s eyes turn into the blue sapphire-like gems, glowing furiously. His gaze washes over the hound archon, whose eyes flash blue momentarily.

The archon turns to the angel, and swings his blade at her. It slams into her, catching her off guard, she staggers back.

“I’ll be back for you, Helious!” and she flutters away, up into the sky with all haste.

The hound archon stands motionless. Ogrim and Eltharion quickly disarm him and tie him down, taking him inside their mansion. The charm gaze wears off, and the archon struggles to escape. Eltharion, Ogrim and Viknen stand over him.

“You try to attack us in our very home!” Ogrim kicks the archon roughly.

“Why did you attack us?” Eltharion asks.

“Let me go!” Helious says.

“We’ll let you go if you tell us why you attacked us,” Eltharion states.

“Fine. You have been connected to some powerful devils. Anyone who works with devils is EVIL!,” the archon spits on the ground. Bellamy Bill wanders in from the other room, watching the exchange.

“Yes, we took the devil’s money to kill another devil. We were going to be doing it anyway, so basically we killed a devil and robbed another one. How does that make us evil?” Eltharion says.

“You made deals with devils twice now. You can only be redeemed by the blade,” the archon says proudly.

“You can go. Don’t bother us again,” Eltharion says. Ogrim nods.

“Next time we meet, we’ll be enemies,” the hound archon says. Ogrim unties his bonds, and he storms out of the mansion, giving everyone a steely glare. Ogrim keeps his cold iron greatsword.

“Bellamy, how are you?” Eltharion asks their dwarven seneschal.

“Construction is on schedule. A laboratory in the basement, a tavern on the first floor, training rooms, bedrooms, kitchens and the like all throughout. It’ll be a masterpiece when completed,” Bellamy explains.

“Great, we have some things to drop off, put them in the safe downstairs,” Eltharion says.

“Some snake-man dropped off 50,000 gold a few days back. It’s in the safe,” Bellamy says.

“Good. Keep up the good work,” Ogrim says. The Heroes make their way out after inspecting the place. They find the portal to Union, and then the portal back to Baron.

They do some research while in Union, and find out about a group called the Celestial Avengers. This conclave of angels, archons and guardinals believe themselves to be the ultimate power of good in the multiverse. They hunt down and kill anyone who has had even a slight interaction with a demon or a devil. Fanatics, would be the best word to describe them.

“I think we’ve gotten some bad attention…” Eltharion says.

“True. Well, let’s get to Baruk and find out about this evil wizard,” Ogrim says.

Can they handle evil wizards? How powerful are the Celestial Avengers? How many powerful enemies can the Heroes raise? Find out more, next time!!

Droid101

First Post
Sorry for the lack of updates. As of now, I am getting promoted at work so I will no longer be able to write while at work.

The bad news is that I will be posting less often.

The good news is that I started recording the sessions, so each post will be longer, more in-depth, and will more accurately portray what the characters said and did.

I'll try my hardest to get a post done tonight! Thanks for hanging in there!

sandtiger

First Post
Congratulations on your promotion. I'm bummed that you won't be able to write at work, but I'll find some way to forgive you :p.

I still check regularly for your story, so don't think your off the hook.

Sandtiger

Droid101

First Post
After a couple of days, Viknen teleports himself, Ogrim, and Eltharion to Baruk, the town where some evil wizard was supposedly trying to get power through politics.

Baruk seemed like a small town. They gather some information from the innkeeper where they get a room.

“Yeah, elections are going on. Towns out here in the east are progressive. They vote in mayors,” the innkeeper says.

“Interesting. And who is running this time?” Eltharion asks.

“Well, the man who has been our mayor for years and years: Hrogan McCandless. He was a shoe-in every year, but this year, things are looking different. Some new guy, named ‘Ronec’ is running. Saying how he’s going to progress us into the future even more. He’s got everyone in an uproar,” the innkeeper explains.

“Hm…” Eltharion thinks a moment, looking to Ogrim and Viknen. “You think he’s using magic to influence votes?”

“A possibility,” Ogrim responds.

“Thank you good sir, we’ll be off,” Eltharion says.

“If you hurry, you can catch the end of the debate that’s going on in town hall right now,” the innkeeper says.

“Great, thanks!” they run to the center of town and find a large courthouse and meeting hall. They go in, only to find two tables up at the front, along with rows and rows of seats. The seats are empty, as all the people are crowding one of the tables. The other table has one chubby man sitting behind it, looking flustered. The Heroes approach.

“Ah, votes, votes!” the chubby man says.

“No, we don’t live here, I don’t think we can vote,” Eltharon interjects.

“Rats… looks like that Ronec guy is going to win…” the chubby man shakes his head slowly.

“Who is he? Does anybody know anything about him?” Eltharion asks.

“Newcomer. Just showed up a couple of days ago. Everybody loves him. Says he’s going to use magic to take our town to the ‘next level.’ Political mumbo-jumbo. I know what this town needs!” Mr. McCandless says.

“I think we need to have a word with him…” Ogrim says.

“Great, more support for him…” Mr. McCandless looks defeated.

“Don’t worry…” Eltharion pats him on the shoulder, and the Heroes sit in some chairs, waiting for the crowd to die down.

Slowly, the mass of people starts to stream to the exit. The crowd grows more and more thin, and finally, they can see the man sitting at the table. They can see Ronec.

Rather, they can see The Necromancer.

“What in the world…?” Eltharion says, perplexed, as he approaches The Necromancer.

“Fancy seeing you all here. Any reason for the surprise visit?” The Necromancer asks.

“Yep,” Ogrim lowers his voice. “We’ve been sent to kill ye.”

The Necromancer laughs for a moment, but then sees that the others aren’t.

“With or without my permission?” The Necromancer asks.

“Well, we didn’t know it was you when we came,” Eltharion says. “The devils that paid us to kill Gryrtag are paying us again to help stop ‘some evil wizards in the east.’ Turns out, that’s you!”

“Why are ye runnin’ for public office?” Ogrim asks.

“Easy. Here in the east things are changing. Down south, in Baron, things are changing as well, but for the worse. Adlai has read you the prophecies, right? There is a third side that comes out victorious. There is a third side that wins in the end. I intend to be on that side. And this is where I think the resistance begins,” The Necromancer explains.

“Resistance?” Eltharion asks.

“Well, let’s see. Baron outlawed magic. Outlawed drugs. What’s next?” The Necromancer asks.

“They did it for the good of the people. The dark elves have been slaughtering everyone with magic, so they want to set a good example for their people,” Ogrim says.

“But when does it stop? The King has too much power. And now that this ‘Prophet’ has arisen and is backing the King, nothing can stand in their way. I don’t want to be there when things go sour, that’s all,” The Necromancer says.

“So you’re going to let us fight for our lives in Baron, while you’re out here by yourself?” Eltharion asks.

“How can I fight if I don’t believe what’s being fought for?” The Necromancer retorts.

“Good point,” Ogrim nods. “But I must stay and fight with the dwarves.”

“And I can’t let the dark elves take over Baron…” Eltharion says.

“I’m just along for da ride mon,” Viknen says.

The Necromancer shakes his head.

“Look, you’re my friends, but I just can’t go back to Baron. I’m an outlaw there as it is. Remember, I use magic.”

“Suit yourself. You’re going to be missing out on the battle that will define our time, though,” Ogrim says ominously.

The Necromancer chuckles.

“So, what about this whole killing me thing?”

“Well, we don’t have to kill you. We just have to ‘neutralize’ you,” Eltharion says.

“Hm. I have a plan. Where are you staying?” The Necromancer asks.

“The inn down the street,” Eltharion responds.

“Meet me there tonight, I’ll find your room,” The Necromancer stands, and walks over to Mr. McCandless.

“How do you do it?” Mr. McCandless asks, shaking his head.

“May it be a clean and fair vote,” The Necromancer shakes Mr. McCandless’ hand, and leaves the hall. The Heroes hang around that day, and finally return to their inn room that night.

The Necromancer enters, with a large sack over his shoulder.

“What’s in the bag?” Eltharion asks, and the question is quickly answered when chopped up body parts are strewn about on the floor. The sight is more than disgusting.

“There you have it, it’s me!” The Necromancer says.

“Nekky, that’s disgusting…” Eltharion looks away. Ogrim shakes his head. Viknen sniffs an arm.

“I used magic to make the body look as much like me as possible. I just dug him out of the cemetery,” The Necromancer says. “Then chopped him up like I got murdered. I’ll vanish for a while, and the devils will think you did a good job. Sound like a plan?”

“Good thinking, bad presentation…” Eltharion is still looking away.

“You should leave tonight, so it looks abrupt. I made sure the innkeeper saw me come in, so he’ll know it was you who did me in. Word will spread,” The Necromancer says as he steps back. “Good luck in that big battle. Wish I could be there fighting beside you.”

And with that, The Necromancer vanishes with a snap.

“Let’s be getting’ outta here, now den,” Viknen says, waving his staff with the skulls hanging from it. They clatter together, and the three of them teleport back to Baron.

They decide to take another couple of days off before letting the King and Adlai know about the help from the devils they should be receiving.

How will they take this news? Can the devils help push the fight in Baron’s favor? Why won’t The Necromancer help them? Is Baron really that bad? Find out, next time!!!

Last edited:

Droid101

First Post
(All I can say is: Sorry! Don't hate me forever please. ;) )

“Is this for real?” Bink asks in bewilderment, just having arrived back in Baron and already being banished.

“What do we do now?” Eltharion asks.

Bloodthorne, Viknen, Grog, Ogrim, Eltharion and Bink walk north, with two Baron guards following behind them. They were there only for show of course, nobody can force the Heroes to do anything they didn’t want to do.

“We help me people. We help the dwarves,” Ogrim says, which draws a nod from everyone.

“So we head for the Adventurer’s Guildhall, then on north toward the dwarven stronghold?” Bink says.

“Sounds good. I wonder how long ago the dwarves left,” Eltharion ponders.

“The dwarves were forced out by the dark elves… do they really have a change at getting back in?” Bink asks.

“If Moradin leads the charge, then there’s a good chance,” Ogrim answers.

“I’m up for anythin’. Been bored ‘ere in town too long…” Bloodthorne chimes in.

“How about you Viknen?” Eltharion asks their old gnoll friend.

“I’ll be goin’ as far as deese old legs be takin’ me,” Viknen replies, supporting his weight with his crooked staff.

Eltharion looked over his shoulders at the guards following them, shaking his head.

That night, they had to stop at an inn. The wall of Baron would be another half-day walk.

The next morning, they continued, guards still following. It was drizzling slightly and quite overcast. After a couple of hours, a form could be seen flying directly at them. As it got closer, Eltharion stopped in his tracks, and the rest of the group did as well. Eltharion pulled out his sling.

“It’s a dark elf…” Eltharion swings his arm and unleashes a sling bullet. It slams into the drow, who lands on the ground, drawing two blades.

Grog unsheathes his wakisashi and kata, and charges. His blades cross over the dark elf’s stomach, spilling his innards. In a swift and continuous motion, he sheathes his blades and grabs an amulet off the neck of the dark elf. He then spins to face the rest of the Heroes, who stare on in amazement.

Grog’s pristine white samurai-style armor morphs and changes. The wakisashi and kata rise off his person, and join into the armor, which becomes floating mass. The shape twists and contorts, and finally a grayish creature with a torso, mouth and two arms floats before everyone, holding onto the amulet. Grog collapses behind it, fully unconscious.

“Finally!” the 15 foot tall demonic-looking beast bellows. “I’ve been waiting forever for this!”

The Heroes still stare on in some kind of confusion mixed with horror.

“Who, what, are you?” Bink manages.

“Oh, pardon me for being so rude…” the semi-transparent hideous grayish demon-looking creature spoke, it’s huge maw sounding out each syllable with perfection. “I am Delroc, Master of Time.”

This didn’t help alleviate the party’s surprise.

“Okay, I know this must be a shock, so let me explain. You see, your little friend Grog here never had a ‘vision.’ He never saw a spirit who granted him any armor. I am that spirit. Heck, I am that armor. Maybe I should start off further back?” Delroc looked almost thoughtful for a moment.

“Okay, so hundreds of years ago, I am corporeal. I can touch things, move thing, just like you. However, my and my race’s wanton destruction of the land was too much for the higher powers to handle, so I was cursed to be incorporeal, unable to interact with the world around me, except to turn into inanimate objects. Like armor and a pair of swords, for instance.

“I still had dominion over time, however, and planned to use it. Existance wasn’t much, but at least it was existence. However, once I was so bored with being unable to do anything, I got to reading. I started reading the Prophecies…

“Well, let me just tell you, I didn’t like what I saw. It must be great to see your name show up in a Prophecy of any kind. Yeah, well, you can think that all you want until your name shows up as someone destined to DIE.”

The Heroes, much less shocked and almost a little bored at the wordiness of the creature allow him to continue, for the moment.

“So, if you hadn’t figured it out, let me spell it out a little bit more clearly. I read the Prophecy, and found out that a person named Blaze Brague was destined to kill me,” Delroc resumed. This certainly got the Heroes’ attention. “So, of course I didn’t want to die, but I also didn’t have the ability to become corporeal to do anything about it…”

“So, I came up with an ingenious plan to kill Blaze, and thereby extend my own existence,”

There wasn’t a hesitation from the Heroes. Bloodthorne, Eltharion and Ogrim all charged the creature, slashing it violently. Unfortunately, their blades passed through it harmlessly. Eltharion and Ogrim backed off, but Bloodthorne kept swinging.

“So, you’re saying that you kidnapped Senman and Misani, and set up Blaze’s death?” Bink asks, out of curiousity and also to stall to give him time to think of some way to avenge his good friend.

Bloodthorne kept swinging.

“You can tell him that he can stop, it’s not going to work. Trust me, I’d like to fight for a while, I haven’t been able to interact like that for an eternity…” Delroc says. “Anyway, to answer your question, yes, I painstakingly set up a chain of events to lead up to this point right here.

“I went back and influenced the changing of the Prophecies, to start. I had the original writers put in a whole section about ‘The Two,’ two chosen ones. I needed to make sure his closest friends were with him, along with Grog, so that I could be there to see it and initiate the choice.

Eltharion and Ogrim look at each other with doubting glances.

“So, the Legend of The Two was made up by me to make sure Blaze went with you to rescue your friends. I spooked some poor fool into sabotaging the temple so that the column would fall at exactly the right time. When you can travel back and forth through time you have a lot of room for error, so I kept going back and forth until it came down at exactly the right time. Quite an accomplishment if you look at it with the right point of view…”

“Hold on, so there are no chosen ones? What about the powers we’ve received from these items? Or the legends behind them?” Eltharion asks.

“Ah, situational. The only magic imbued in those items is illusory or mind-effecting. Make you think you are doing what you think you are doing. They are worthless,” Delroc says, summarily deflating Eltharion and Ogrim’s sense of worth.

But as Delroc went on in his gloating, a voice could be heard in the Heroes’ heads. A familiar voice.

Okay guys, it’s me, Blaze. I can help you kill this thing, but you’re going to need to be ready. On the count of ten, I’ll make him corporeal. He’ll be able to interact with this world, so that’ll be your only chance to kill him. I don’t know how long it’ll last, and it doesn’t mean he’s going to be a pushover, but at least you’ll have the jump on him. Start counting.

“…So I used the little goblin here as a pawn in my effort to…”

One…

“…and then kill him, which I did…”

Two…

“…an item of interest, so I used…”

Three…

“…this dark elf’s amulet. Might just be enough power…”

Four…

The Heroes were hardly listening to the creature. A burning rage was all they felt. They were going to have a chance to avenge the untimely death of one of their best friends.

Five…

They had all thought about the moment when they met whoever was behind this. They never once for a moment believed Grog was a part of this, and now they knew for sure.

Six…

Bink came to the call of a dejected Grog only to be kicked out of Baron partially due to the actions of Delroc. He readied his spells…

Seven…

“The Two” was fake. Who knows how much else in the Prophecy was made up for this stupid plan? Eltharion and Ogrim were seething with hate.

Eight…

All the rage. All the hatred. Grog had been influenced by this vile creature for almost a month now. Unable to make any decisions, unable to do what he wanted. He was alienated from all his friends because of this fiend.

Nine…

It was time for vengence.

TEN!

sandtiger

First Post
Droid101 said:
(All I can say is: Sorry! Don't hate me forever please. ;) )

Can't . Your story hour is way too good.

Geez, I don't understand why everyone isn't raving about this story hour. Everytime you write (which isn't enough! -- hint, hint),
you surprise/stun me with the happenings.

I would give way too much to be part of this game.

Don't quit writing, PLEASE!

Sandtiger

Last edited:

Remove ads