Droid101's Story Hour, "Of Gods and Devils" Updated 10/12!

Sandain

Explorer
I realize that they were powerful opponents, but they seemed to keep accepting AoO and they were dividing attacks among thier different foes. I doubt any player would split attacks between 2-4 different opponents, but rather focus on one until it was dead.

If the Kukri or Skaven god had not been splitting attacks i expect you would have a TPK on your hands :)

Droid101

First Post
Sandain said:
I realize that they were powerful opponents, but they seemed to keep accepting AoO and they were dividing attacks among thier different foes.
True, but since he had reach, it was more prudent to move and let them come to him. That way, he'd end up with the same number of attacks (move and attack, then three attacks of opportunity, all at full attack bonus), and each person would only get 2 attacks against him (one AoO, and one move and attack, instead of 4 attacks [Ogrim or Grog] or 7 attacks [Blaine or Eltharion]), therefore reducing the number of attacks he takes by close to 13 or 14 per round.
I doubt any player would split attacks between 2-4 different opponents, but rather focus on one until it was dead.
My players do that quite frequently, especially when describing some cool jump double kick they do. But I'll admit that I don't remember exactly who was attacked in that last flurry by the Skaven God (it happened quite a long time ago). It may have been (and probably was) Ogrim attacked all four times. But he would've lived anyway.

If the Kukri or Skaven god had not been splitting attacks i expect you would have a TPK on your hands :)
Well, the Kukri-Skaven took down both Blaze and Bloodthorne, so I think he did all right for himself. :)

Last edited:

Sandain

Explorer
Oh! Thats a really good point about moving to get the AoO and reducing the number of attacks. Wish id thought of that when my group was doing G1-3.

What exactly is the reach on that guy? a large creature gets reach, and a polearm gives reach - so is it a 20ft reach or the standard 10 still?

With a monster with 10 foot reach I have been allowing my group to take a free 5 ft step (provoking an AoO) and have thier full attack since they are now 5 ft away which is within combat range per the rules.

Hrm 2-handed sword doesnt usually have reach, but what if its wielded by a large creature and the sword is 15 feet long?

the Jester

Legend
Droid101 said:
True, but since he had reach, it was more prudent to move and let them come to him. That way, he'd end up with the same number of attacks (move and attack, then three attacks of opportunity, all at full attack bonus), and each person would only get 2 attacks against him (one AoO, and one move and attack, instead of 4 attacks [Ogrim or Grog] or 7 attacks [Blaine or Eltharion]), therefore reducing the number of attacks he takes by close to 13 or 14 per round.

Brilliant, a ploy I'd best remember. I like it.

The only thing that would spoil it imc is psionic lion's charge...

Droid101

First Post
Sandain said:
What exactly is the reach on that guy? a large creature gets reach, and a polearm gives reach - so is it a 20ft reach or the standard 10 still?
Well, a reach weapon increases your reach by double, so whatever your reach is (his was 15 feet) gets doubled, for a total of 30 feet.

Hrm 2-handed sword doesnt usually have reach, but what if its wielded by a large creature and the sword is 15 feet long?
I don't think it matters, since the length of the sword is already taken into account with the creatures enhanced reach.

Thanks for the discussion, however. I should be posting an update later on today!

Droid101

First Post
Bloodthorne’s limp body moves after about five minutes.

“What’d I miss?” he asks, looking around the room. His body still pretty torn up from the fight.

“We killed them. And turned that one to stone,” The Necromancer chuckles.

“We should definitely put that in our mansion in Sigil,” Bloodthorne says, using his bag of holding to scoop up the man-sized statue of the mechanically-enhanced skaven.

“Okay, I piled up everything that is magical. If everybody carries something, I can teleport us to Baron in two trips,” The Necromancer says while gazing around the room under the effects of his detect magic spell.

“Hold on…” Eltharion says, pushing a loose stone off a nearby wall. Inside, he finds a forest green cloak with a strange symbol embroidered on it. “How about this?”

The Necromancer looks at it.

“It’s not magical,” he says.

“I’m taking it anyway. Someone hid it here for a reason,” Eltharion says, putting the cloak into his bag.

The Necromancer collects the items and teleports the party back to Baron.

“Okay, I’m going to go get this stuff identified,” The Necromancer says, flying off.

“I’m going with ‘im,” Bloodthorne adds as he flies off as well.

Grog also goes off by himself to find an inn room. Blaze, Blaine, Ogrim and Eltharion head to the castle. They enter the castle to report back to Adlai.

“Hey Adlai, look who we found,” Eltharion says, pointing behind him to the rest of the group.

“Good, you’re back. We have a problem, and lots of news” Adlai says, giving barely a passing nod to the newly returned Grog, Necromancer, Blaze and Blaine.

“Can’t even get a minute of rest around here…” Ogrim grumbles.

“Sorry, but this is serious,” Adlai says. “Last night, someone kidnapped Senman and Misani out of their inn room. A ransom note was given to the innkeeper.”

“Who gave him the ransom note?” Eltharion asks.

“We have him in custody if you want to interrogate him. I’m about ready to try and scry them so we can go find them, and make sure they’re okay,” Adlai says.

“Take us to him.”

Adlai leads them down into Baron’s dungeon. They stop at the first cell, and a regular looking fellow stands up.

“Can I leave now?” the man asks.

“Not until you give us some answers,” Eltharion says, his face serious.

“I already told your people everything I know!”

“And what is that, exactly?” Ogrim says.

“When I woke up in the morning, I had a piece of paper in my room and a note. The paper said to deliver the note to the innkeeper, and not to open it. There was a gold piece with it, so I thought if I did what it said, that maybe I’d get another gold piece. I didn’t think I was doing anything wrong!”

“Seems legitimate. Adlai, start scryin’, we leave tomorrow,” Ogrim puts. Nobody argues.

The guards let the man free, and the Heroes go upstairs to Adlai’s chamber, where he scrys Senman.

An image swirls into view on his mirror. They see a huge pillar in what looks like an enormous stoneworked room. Misani and Senman are at the base of the pillar, bound and gagged.

“Okay, so we need to find out where that temple is, and go there,” Ogrim says.

“I’ll do some research, but first, I have some news as well. I’ve been researching more of the prophecies,” Adlai starts. “It seems as if there are two people who are mentioned quite a lot. They basically team up and seem to play a big role in the coming Dark Tides.

“One of them is said to be invincible, unable to be harmed by anything. Like a stone. The other is described as lightning fast. Able to kill many men before any can react. They are called ‘The Two’.”

“So, they are going to help us against the dark elves?” Eltharion asks.

“That’s what we’re hoping, but the problem is, from what I’ve been able to decipher, I can’t tell what side they are fighting on,” Adlai says.

“Well, come on, it should be pretty simple. There’s us, and there’s them,” Eltharion says.

“Actually, the prophecy speaks of three distinct factions. The good, the evil, and the others. The good and the evil seem to clash for most of the time, and the others grow quietly in strength. From what I read, either the good or the evil side prevails at first, but after a long delay, the other faction gains the upper hand,” Adlai says.

“What do you mean ‘Either the good or the evil prevails,’ huh?” Eltharion asks. “You can’t even decipher that!?”

“I’m sorry, it’s very cryptic, and I’m doing all kinds of other research at the same time!” Adlai is quite flustered.

“Sorry. You’re right. Hey, could you add this to your pile of research?” Eltharion pulls out the cloak he found, showing Adlai the peculiar symbol.

“You… found this?” Adlai looks shocked, as if he has seen a ghost.

“Yeah, why?” Eltharion replies.

“Hold on, let me check something,” Adlai throws open some books on his desk, flipping through the pages quickly. Finally, he gets to a page that has two large symbols drawn on them. One looks like a shield with a tree on it, and the other is a triangular symbol, which looks exactly like the on on the cloak.

“So, what does this mean?” Eltharion asks.

“Hold on, come with me, I need to ask the king of the dwarves a question,” Adlai leads them downstairs. He knocks twice on the chamber. A dwarven guard comes to the door.

“We need to speak with Strumdar Goldensoul, it’s of vital importance,” Adlai says.

“Wait ‘ere a minute,” the dwarf closes the door. After a minute, the king emerges with a mug in his hand.

“I’m eatin’. What’s the trouble?” Strumdar asks.

Adlai slaps the book down on the table in front of him, pointing to the shield.

“Recognize this?” Adlai asks.

“Yes, it’s the Oakenshield. An heirloom of our kingdom. Supposeddly only the chosen one can wield ‘er,” Strumdar says.

“And you never bothered searching for the chosen one in your own kingdom? Even in the dwarven family that shares the shield’s name?” Adlai presses on.

“Nay, we figgerd it was just a legend,” Strumdar says.

“Well, it’s not. And you’re looking at the ones they speak about in the prophecy, right now!” Adlai says, pointing to Ogrim and Eltharion.

“They are The Two!”

sandtiger

First Post
Hi,

Figured I'd just let you know, I'm still reading and enjoying it immensely. You have outdone yourself with the last two episodes. The fight scene was well written. Blew me over with the final paragraph is the last one too. Did your players know they were going to be "chosen"?

Also a general questioin. How do you work the NPC's ? Do the players take them over during the battles or do you play against yourself?

I look forward to your story, so thanks for posting twice in two days! I can't tell you how much you improved my pretty pathetic day with your story.

Sandtiger

Droid101

First Post
sandtiger said:
Figured I'd just let you know, I'm still reading and enjoying it immensely. You have outdone yourself with the last two episodes. The fight scene was well written. Blew me over with the final paragraph is the last one too. Did your players know they were going to be "chosen"?
Thank you, and no, they didn't know they were being chosen. They were blown away by the news too!

Also a general questioin. How do you work the NPC's ? Do the players take them over during the battles or do you play against yourself?
I have always controlled my NPCs. Which ones are NPCs, however, will be answered soon.

I look forward to your story, so thanks for posting twice in two days! I can't tell you how much you improved my pretty pathetic day with your story.

Sandtiger
Hopefully I'll have more time to post even more! Thanks for being one of my two sandy readers.

Droid101

First Post
The Oakenshield

One of the “Relics of the Two”

Powers granted only if used by “the Stone” member of The Two.

+4 IronOak shield (large)

When wielding the shield, the wielder gets +10 to all rolls to avoid being tripped or bull rushed, or otherwise moved from their position.

One time per day, the user may move their speed while in a defensive stance without losing its benefits.

The shield cannot be disarmed without total removal of the arm that wields it.

Automatically blocks one normal ranged attack per round, as Deflect Arrows.

Cannot be sundered.

Fire, Lightning, Acid, Cold, Sonic resistance of 5.

+2 to all Fortitude saves.

Cloak of Alacrity

One of the “Relics of the Two”

Powers granted only if used by “the Swift” member of The Two.

One time per day, the wearer can take twice the number of attacks in a round that they are normally allotted. All these attacks are at a +2 bonus to hit.

Cloak is fireproof.

Wearer gets +10 to movement speed.

One time per day, wearer may sprint at x6 instead of x4 for four rounds.

+2 dodge bonus to AC. +2 insight bonus to attack rolls. +4 to Reflex saves.

If the wearer uses the Full Defensive combat option, they get +2 more to their AC bonus for that round than normal.

Droid101

First Post
“What?” Eltharion is perplexed.

“Look, you found the Cloak of Alacrity. They own the Oakenshield. You are fast. You are sturdy,” Adlai points to each person as he makes each successive point. “You are The Two. It’s so painfully obvious.”

“So, what, do we have special-powers now or something?” Eltharion still looks skeptical.

“Once you don the Cloak of Alacrity you will. And Ogrim, once you weild The Oakenshield, you will. Go ahead and see,” Adlai puts his hands on his hips.

Eltharion reluctantly clasps the cloak on. Instantly his mind is filled with thoughts, memories, and flashes of light. Somehow, he knows what he can now do.

“Ogrim, get that shield. If it’s half as amazing at this cloak, you’ll be pleased…” Eltharion closes his eyes and takes in the rush.

Strumdar sends his guard to retrieve The Oakenshield from the vault. After a few minutes, they return, bearing the IronOak shield. Ogrim grasps it and instantly feels a similar rush as Eltharion.

“You were right,” Ogrim states, nodding as the knowledge pours over him.

They take their new items and leave Strumdar’s presence. Adlai takes them back to his research room.

“So, now we just need to find where Misani and Senman are being kept,” Eltharion says to Adlai.

“Well, in the prophecies, it says that The Two venture to some old temple ‘in the center of the Aldor.’ The description of that temple seems to match the location Misani and Senman are tied up. One big pillar. It may be connected. You may be meant to go there,” Adlai says mystically.

“Do you know where that is?” Ogrim asks.

“I believe so. Get whoever you want to go with you, and I’ll let you know tomorrow,” Adlai says.

Viknen’s still tired, Bloodthorne and The Necromancer are nowhere to be found. They find Blaze and Grog, however, and they agree to go with them.

“You’re what??” Blaze asks.

“We’re some kind of chosen ones. I know it’s pretty crazy,” Eltharion says.

“So, you guys supposedly help us defend the land from evil or something?” Blaze chuckles.

“Well, Adlai says he can’t see which side we end up fighting for. Which is kind of odd. I mean, why would we ever turn against Baron and our friends here?” Eltharion responds.

“Who knows. Those prophecies are pretty cooky anyway. So, we leave tomorrow for this ancient temple? You all ready?” Blaze asks.

“Surely!” Ogrim says.

“Yeah,” Eltharion nods.

Grog merely nods. He was a lot more quiet than he used to be.

The next day, Adlai gathers everyone.

“Okay, it’s supposed to be somewhere around the Adventurer’s Guildhall. Somewhere out to the east in the nearby forest. You shouldn’t have much trouble locating it,” Adlai says.

“Let’s do it!” Blaze exclaims.

Adlai teleports everybody to the Adventurer’s Guildhall, then teleports himself back to Baron. Grog, Blaze, Eltharion, and Ogrim head out east into the forest.

After about half a day’s walk, they see a stone obelisk-like thing above the trees. They head toward it and see an 80 foot tall granite obelisk, with a stone stairway leading down underground.

“I guess this is it. I’ll go first, wouldn’t want our ‘chosen ones’ getting hurt…” Blaze chuckles. He heads down the stairs. A piece of the ceiling breaks off and crashes down in front of him. Part of the stone strikes his gauntleted hand. “Damn, it’s ruined…” Blaze takes off his gauntlet and tosses it back up the stairs.

“Be ready, this cavern is old and falling apart,” Ogrim studies the rock.

………

Adlai pours over his books.

The prophecies are slowly becoming more clear.

Which side do The Two end up fighting for? Why is that the most difficult thing to decipher?

And the timelines… the timelines are so vague. Either the good or the evil side wins, then later on, a third side wins. How much later on?

Hm. This part is peculiar. Didn’t notice it before. A detailed description of what happens in the temple? Pertaining to The Two?

Oh no.

Oh no…

Gotta warn them!

………

The Heroes ready their weapons as they decend the dilapidated stairs. Deeper and deeper.

“We’re down almost 800 feet,” Ogrim says, paying close attention to their decent.

They finally reach a room. Over 100 feet across. In the center is a huge pillar. At the base, they see Misani and Senman, tightly bound and gagged.

“That’s the only support for the room. It must weigh 24,000 pounds…” Ogrim mutters under his breath, slightly amazed at the workmanship.

“So, another good deed by the goody goodys…” a high-pitched, evil voice can be heard. Though, they can’t tell where it is coming from.

“We’re here to rescue our friends. Care to stop us?” Eltharion brandishes his fine blades.

“Then what? You’ll save someone else’s life? Stop some other evil-genius’ plans from coming to fruition? What next?” the voice continues. “Your lives are meaningless. You go from place to place, doing good deeds. You haven’t ever stopped to think about what it’s all for. You haven’t had one moment’s peace since you left Drelk in Baron. Since you left to find the cure for your beloved White. Then to Canticus. Then to find White. Then to the north, after Gryrtag the devil. The politics of the north. Back to Canticus, to stop Xvim. Then the dwarves. The underdark. The teleportation machine. Back in time. Have you ever stopped to think about what you’ve done!? Never!”

“Yes, we help people. We do good. Show yourself!” Ogrim yells.

“You’re pathetic. You never do anything to better yourself. Always for others. You will never get anywhere like that,” the voice is snide.

“You’re pathetic. Show yourself,” Ogrim retorts. “You get joy in the suffering of others. You bring us here just to lecture us? YOU’RE pathetic.”

“I suppose here is where I give you a choice,” the voice says, and just as it does, a thundering crack can be heard from the central pillar. “You can run for your lives, and barely make it out of the cavern alive. Or… you can try to save your friends. Doing so will mean certain death of course. You can live, knowing you are responsible for your friends’ deaths, or you can try to save them, know full well that you’ll die in the process. Choose wisely…”

The entire cavern starts to shake as the huge pillar begins to tip.

The Heroes look at each other frantically, not sure what to do. Eltharion takes a step toward the stairs, Ogrim takes a step toward Misani and Senman.

“Get them out, I’ll hold the pillar,” Blaze says. They all run up to the pillar. Eltharion, Grog and Ogrim undo the bonds holding Senman and Misani.

“TEMPUS!!!!!!!”

Blaze bellows louder than he ever has before. His muscles expand exponentially. His armor is nearly rended from his body, he grows so strong. He plants his hands firmly into the pillar, and it stops falling.

“RUN!”

“We’ll get you out… we’ll get you out!!” Eltharion says, as he takes off up the stairs. Ogrim, Grog, Senman, and Misani follow. They run as fast as they can. They can hear the ceiling collapsing behind them. Rock and dust shoots out of the passage as they run as fast as they can up the stairs.

They reach daylight, and escape just before the ceiling on the staircase collapses entirely. The granite obelisk falls as well. Only a pile of rubble remains where the entrance once was.

Don’t go into the temple!! A sending message from Adlai arrives in Ogrim’s head.

Too late. Ogrim sends back a simple response.

The Heroes collapse, panting heavily from the run. Grog bends over and picks up Blaze’s dented gauntlet that he left behind. He puts it on, even though it’s far larger than his hand, being a mere goblin.

“In your honor…” Grog says quietly.

“We’ll get him out…” Eltharion says, unable to comprehend what just happened.

“What a noble sacrifice…” Ogrim says, speaking a quiet prayer to Moradin.

“I didn’t even know him that well… and he did that for me…” Senman shakes his head slowly.

“Let’s go home…” Eltharion turns away from the ruined temple, and begins to walk back toward the Adventurer’s Guildhall, and then on to Baron.

Remove ads