drothgery's Victorian Eberron game - OOC

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
My favorite link: archivist (you can see I linked it for Doc's sheet)

It generally talks about "his allies" everywhere in the text. The bard's insprire courage says "his allies (even himself)". So one can read that "his allies" for an archivist include himself because anywhere the bard's abilities says it cannot effect the bard, it is called out explicitly.

In all my campaigns, I always give the archivist the bonus as well.

nonamazing

Explorer
The cost of bullets is tough for me. Please double check my numbers for me and see if I've gotten it right.

The table in the DMG that lists the costs for a given bonus notes that a +2 bonus is equal to 8,000 gp. A footnote there says that this price applies to one weapon or 50 units of ammunition. Another chart notes that the masterwork cost for 50 units of ammunition is +350. So the total cost of 50 +1 flaming bullets, for instance, would be 8,350 gp. Which means that the cost for each bullet is 167 gp (8,350 divided by 50).

Have I done all my math correctly?
drothgery said:
Exception: Mastercraft ranged weapons only improve their chance to hit; mastercraft ammunition only improves damage; as such, the enhancements cost half as much.

Does this apply here? I was thinking that the 167 gp cost seems fair, as the flaming special ability only applies to damage anyway.

Solarious

Explorer
I believe that the ammo's 'enchantment' cost is halved. So, 4350 divided by 50, so 87 per bullet. I assume you have to mastercraft ammunition before you can start stacking those wonderful abilities, right?

drothgery

First Post
Solarious said:
I believe that the ammo's 'enchantment' cost is halved. So, 4350 divided by 50, so 87 per bullet. I assume you have to mastercraft ammunition before you can start stacking those wonderful abilities, right?

I think in an effort to cut down costs and introduce a small amount of psuedo-realism I added a lot of complexity.

The idea was the 'mastercraft cost' of mastercraft ranged weapons or ammo would be half the 'enhancement cost' of magic ranged weapons or ammo with the same bonus. Special ability enchancements, whether alchemical or magical, would be the same price as in standard D&D. However, the +x bonus costing used for DMG magic items makes calculating this pretty complicated. So I think I'm going to end up putting together a chart that gives alchemical enhancements (and the only commonly available magical enhanment -- which is holy) fixed costs.

For now, though, I'd just figure the costs for masterwork/alchemical ammo as if it were magical.

drothgery

First Post
Okay, I redid the equipment costs for alchemical weapons; they're over in the RG thread at http://www.enworld.org/showpost.php?p=3502124&postcount=4

nonamazing - I'm going to say the spell's okay, though with a 1 minute casting time, it may not be all that useful in combat (which is the main reason why I'm approving it). I'm going to say no on the alchemy blade bayonet, though; that seems too complicated for a last-ditch weapon.

Remove ads