drothgery's Victorian Eberron game - OOC

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
drothgery said:
I'm going to say no here, mostly because my informal costing guidelines say it'd take well over half of your cash.
Understood. I'm trying to go for a smallish electrical item that would have somehow survived the destruction. Perhaps an eternal wand of either electrical jolt (0th level, 1d3) or orb of electricity (1st level, 1d8)? W/o markup that is 450 or 820, which even @ double price would be less than 1/4 or 1/2 my gold respectively.

Of course, being eternal wands, I assume I would need to Use Magic Device them for them to work properly. Makes me think that the Magical Device Attunement feat (Complete Mage: after using a device, do not have to reuse UMD for 24 hrs) might be a good idea---fits thematically as well.

Let me know your thoughts.

EvolutionKB

First Post
Did you plan on getting Complete Champion, because there is a smiting type feat in there that looks tasty. After perusing some PrCs I think that Gray guard fits my needs a little bit, but I am torn between that and straight rogue. How do you think of Gray guard would fit into the game?

drothgery

First Post
stonegod said:
Understood. I'm trying to go for a smallish electrical item that would have somehow survived the destruction. Perhaps an eternal wand of either electrical jolt (0th level, 1d3) or orb of electricity (1st level, 1d8)? W/o markup that is 450 or 820, which even @ double price would be less than 1/4 or 1/2 my gold respectively.

Aren't eternal wands always divine?

drothgery

First Post
EvolutionKB said:
Did you plan on getting Complete Champion, because there is a smiting type feat in there that looks tasty.

Yeah, but I'm hoping that I'll have things started before Amazon can ship me a copy.

EvolutionKB said:
After perusing some PrCs I think that Gray guard fits my needs a little bit, but I am torn between that and straight rogue. How do you think of Gray guard would fit into the game?

I'll need to double check, but IIRC Gray Guards seemed thematically to be 'walk the edge between LG and LN' types, which doesn't seem right for a Paladin of Freedom.

drothgery

First Post
stonegod said:

After traking a look at the rulebooks rather than just listening to the voices in my head, I'm going to say that you could find one. My general rule of thumb for magic item pricing is

Items still manufactured in quanitity (mostly low-level potions and scrolls): list price
Common ancient items, modern custom items, illegal potions and scrolls (potions and scrolls of dread necromancer and hexblade spells, plus any spell with the [evil] descriptor are generally illegal): 150% list price or list price + 1000 gp (whichever is lower)
uncommon ancient items: double cost or cost + 5000gp, whichever is lower (which means anything you can afford is double cost), only available at DM's discretion

Last edited:

nonamazing

Explorer
drothgery said:
Bump to see if nonamazing is looking here instead of the OOC or RG threads. I'd like to review characters this weekend.

I'm sorry I wasn't around over the last couple of days--I had a rough and busy week at work. I'll have my character up in just a bit. I do have a couple of quick questions: first of all, am I correct in my interpretation that the archivist's 'Dark Knowledge' ability only provides a bonus to allies, and not to herself? stonegod might be able to confirm that one for me.

Also, you had said that an archvist could have one non-cleric spell for every three class levels they had. The spell I'm thinking of is 'Ancient Knowledge' from the book Magic of Eberron. It's a 1st level spell that allows you to have a +5 insight bonus on any one knowledge check. While the spell is certainly in character, I'm not sure if it is well balanced for an archivist, seeing as how their main class ability relies on Knowledge checks. Let me know what you think.

Oh! One more thing just occured to me. Magic of Eberron lists an items called an 'Alchemy Blade'. Basically, it's a non-magical item that allows you to deliver an alchemical item's effect with a melee attack. Would it be possible to have a bayonet crafted as an Alchemy Blade?

Last edited:

drothgery

First Post
nonamazing said:
I'm sorry I wasn't around over the last couple of days--I had a rough and busy week at work. I'll have my character up in just a bit. I do have a couple of quick questions: first of all, am I correct in my interpretation that the archivist's 'Dark Knowledge' ability only provides a bonus to allies, and not to herself? stonegod might be able to confirm that one for me.

Also, you had said that an archvist could have one non-cleric spell for every three class levels they had. The spell I'm thinking of is 'Ancientl Knowledge' from the book Magic of Eberron. It's a 1st level spell that allows you to have a +5 insight bonus on any one knowledge check. While the spell is certainly in character, I'm not sure if it is well balanced for an archivist, seeing as how their main class ability relies on Knowledge checks. Let me know what you think.

Hmm... my copy of Heroes of Horror is at home (I think the closest I get to bringing gaming books to work with me is leaving them in the car on game day so I don't have to stop at home afterwork), but my inclination would be that an archivist can help herself (and if the rules say otherwise, this probably ends up going in the big houserules stack in the RG thread).

I'm generally going to be pretty stingy about allowing non-PHB spells, item creation feats, and metamagic feats. But I'll take a look at it.

Remove ads