• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Druid subclass: Circle of Decay

faria

First Post
Druid subclass
Circle of Decay

Death and Decay
When you choose this circle at 2nd level, your Wild Shape now takes on the form of the undead. You learn the cantrip Spare The Dying and you gain proficiency in the Blowgun.

Shamanism
Your mystical connection to the dead infuses you with the ability to cast black magic. At 3rd, 5th, and 9th level you gain access to circle spells connected to omens and death. Once you gain access to these spells, you always have them prepared, and they don’t count against the number of spells you can prepare each day. If you gain access to a spell that doesn’t appear on the druid spell list, the spell is nonetheless a druid spell for you.
Druid Level - Circle Spells
3rd - augury, bane, hex, witch bolt
5th - animate dead, bestow curse, remove curse, speak with dead
9th - contagion, raise dead

Witch Doctor
Starting at 6th level, your experience as a Medicine Man/Woman grants you proficiency with Medicine as well as both Herbalism Kits and Poisoner's Kits:
  • Poison
    • Once a day, if you spend at least 1 hour using your Poisoner's Kit, you create a vial of poison. This is considered light work and can be done as part of a short rest. You can use the poison in this vial to coat one slashing or piercing weapon or up to five pieces of ammunition. Applying the poison takes an action. A creature hit by the poisoned weapon or ammunition must make a DC 10 Constitution saving throw or take 1d4 + your WIS mod poison damage and gain the poisoned condition for 1 minute. Once applied, the poison retains potency for 1 minute before drying.
  • Potion
    • Once a day, if you spend at least 1 hour using your Herbalism Kit, you create a black, foul-smelling potion. The potion can end either one disease or one condition afflicting it. The condition can be blinded, deafened, paralyzed, or poisoned.
  • Poultice
    • Once a day, if you spend at least 1 hour using your Herbalism Kit, you create a poultice. This is considered light work and can be done as part of a short rest. It can be used with an action to heal a creature for 2d4+4 health.

Voodoo
Starting at 10th level, your experience with black magic grants you the following abilities:

• Bones
    • You can cast Augury at will without expending a spell slot. It does not count toward your spells known.
  • Doll
    • You can create a voodoo doll of any creature you've seen for at least 1 minute. Creating the doll is a ritual that takes 1 hour. This is considered light work and can be done as part of a short rest. Once created, while the creature it represents is within 60ft range, you can stab the doll with a pin or dagger as an action to deal 1d4 + your CHR mod psychic damage to the creature it represents.
  • Shrunken Head
    • You can spend 1 hour removing and preparing the head of a creature that has died within the past 10 minutes. This is considered light work and can be done as part of a short rest. As part of the magical ritual, you shrink it down to fit into the palm of your hand. The next time you fall to 0 HP, the head shrivels into nothing and disappears, healing you to 1 HP instead. You cannot keep more than 1 shrunken head at a time.

Mumbo Jumbo
Starting at 14th level, you gain the following abilities:

• Mojo Bag
    • You have learned how to fasten a horrifying magical bag out of the rotting flesh of the dead. Creating a Mojo Bag is a ritual that takes 1 hour. This is considered light work and can be done as part of a short rest. If anyone other than you touches the bag, you can choose whether that creature must make a CHR save or be harmed by the bag. It takes 6d6 necrotic damage on a failed save.
  • Mojo
    • Once per long rest, as long as you have your Mojo Bag, you may cast any ritual spell of 7th level or lower as a ritual without prior preparation or specific material components.
  • Bad Juju
    • When a living creature deals damage to you, you can use your reaction to make the creature take the same amount of necrotic damage. You can use this ability a number of times equal to your WIS mod per long rest.

Last edited:

merwins

Explorer
Pretty interesting. I like the overall creativity. Has parallels to fallen paladin when slotted in the context of a druid.

Some areas of concern and additional thoughts:

- I wouldn't hand out damage immunities (or even resistances) at 2nd level.
- Shamanism should be part of your Circle spells, triggered at levels 2, 5, 9. Recommend against giving out the Find Familiar spell, undead familiars and damage immunities.
- Voodoo doll is neat and simple.
- I'd move Augury into Shamanism in place of Find Familiar. Bones is a nice elevation of the ability.
- Shrunken Head didn't make any sense to me until I'd done some reading. It's interesting. Recommend against damage immunity.
- Mojo doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps better to have it be, "Once per long rest, as long as you have your mojo bag, you may cast any ritual spell of 7th level or lower as a ritual without prior preparation or specific material components." You'll have to further define a mojo bag.
-- IMO Bad juju should be more about luck than damage. Suggest ability to cast Bane at will. At 14th level, this seems pretty reasonable.

Very flavorful - nice work.

I like [MENTION=6829883]mervinci[/MENTION]'s suggestions.

A couple of suggestions that popped into my mind when reading:
- Anything that takes 10 minutes should be reworked to take 1 hour - and can be done as part of a short rest without losing short rest benefit
- If you keep Bones in the 10th level slot, I'd insert some limitation like "You can cast Augury, without expending a spell slot, a number of times per day equal to your Wisdom modifier"... or, maybe better, just twice a day. Spamming Augury could get annoying/tiring/make the spell feel cheapened.

merwins

Explorer
Augury has a built-in anti-annoyance component. If you cast it repeatedly, you have an increasing probability of getting random answers.

Nevvur

Explorer
Looks cool.

Not a fan of breaking the standard format on circle spells, but that's more a consistency thing than a balance issue.

Thematically, voodoo dolls seem more intended for causing problems from a remote location, not within 60 feet. At 10th level, 1d4+Charisma modifier damage is a drop in the bucket of level-appropriate monster HP, anyway. Maybe you could give it different effects depending on whether the target is visible to the user. Also, Charisma??

Herosmith14

First Post
This may just be me, but this seems like a lot of stuff per level, but the same could be said about the kensei. Also, in my experience, auto prepare spells are given at 2 per level. It's a cool concept though, and I like the ability ideas, I just think some of the crunch could be shaved down. Then again, I'm not really all that experienced with homebrew that gives multiple abilities per level.

Brando

First Post
When I saw Circle of Decay, I thought this was a Druid that focuses on microscopic life like mushrooms and bacteria. Perhaps with swarm shapes and more disease spells. Still a cool idea though.

Remove ads