D&D 5E Druids in 5e: how do I optimize them?

Minsc

Explorer
Juuuust wondering.

I'm being pigeonholed into playing one. Which is cool. But I don't know the mechanics of making a decent one. What race? Any skills or feats I should aim for?

PeteZero

First Post
Moon druid, human, start with War caster
stats: STR 10 DEX 14 CON 15 WIS 16 INT 8 CHA 10
at 4th level take resilient Con
Skills: Animal Handling, Insight, Perception, Stealth, Survival

evilbob

Explorer
The logic behind those suggestions is that a Moon druid is considered pretty ridiculous at low levels. Their wildshape ability to transform into a CR 1 creature at level 2 is amazing; it's like getting 30+ temp HP and some decent close-range attacks, all for a bonus action. (Check out the dire wolf, for example.) They're not quite so amazing late-game, just because there aren't a lot of good choices (yet?) and the utility of simply being a brute runs out quickly, but overall they are a strong choice.

Starting as a human and getting a free feat is also just generally strong. Druids tend to have lots of concentration spells, especially once you get to levels 5 and 7, so if you want to cast and then mix it up in melee as a wolf or something "war caster" is a good feat to have. The stat array given is also pretty strong, especially in conjunction with the "resilient" feat for Con, which is generally regarded as a strong feat because Con saves tend to be important, and you're already going to be good at Wisdom saves (the other most important one). You'll also want to take +2 Wisdom at some point, obviously.

With skills, it's really more like: Perception, Stealth, Survival, and then 2 more. Those two aren't bad ones, though; Animal Handling is especially thematic and Insight is just a darn useful skill you'll already be pretty good at.

I'll go further and say that Guidance and Shillelagh are great starting cantrips and Poison Spray is a good pickup later on. The rest of your spells will really depend on party composition and what you need for that day, but the nice thing is that druids always "know" all druid spells - it's just a matter of which ones you want to prepare. Healing Word, Thunderwave, and Faerie Fire are good ones to note.

There are other race combos that will work well, and if you want to be an amazing caster the Land druid is a great path too, but the above post is a very good answer to your question.

Moon druid, human, start with War caster
stats: STR 10 DEX 14 CON 15 WIS 16 INT 8 CHA 10
at 4th level take resilient Con
Skills: Animal Handling, Insight, Perception, Stealth, Survival

Screw Survival. Take athletics instead. Its a no-brainer for the Moon Druid.

You can have some wonderful fun with Strength 20+ large and huge creatures and the 'shove' action or with grappling.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Athletics is important for Grappling and Shoving.

At level 2 you can transform into a brown bear with a 19 strength, and at level 6 a polar bear with a 20 strength. With Athletics as a skill, you will add your proficiency bonus to grapple and shove attacks. Which means at 6th level you have +5 (str) +3 (prof) for a total of +8 to grapple or shove. Not much is going to resist that. Even better if you can get Expertise in Athletics somehow.

And it's an ability check rather than an attack roll, which means all sorts of stuff can get you advantage on the check, like raging, the Enlarge spell, the Enhance Ability spell, a familiar using the Help action, etc.. In addition, cantrips like Guidance can give you a +1d4 to that check.

And at 8th level, you can change into a flying shape (or at 10th into an Air Elemental even, which has a 90 foot fly speed). So now you can grapple something, fly them high, and drop them for lots of damage. You can do this at an even earlier level with a climb speed. But imagine changing into a Giant Eagle and grabbing an enemy (two if you find a way for an extra attack), ascend 50 feet (80 base speed + 10 longstrider spell + 10 mobile feat, all halved for grappling). Next round, just take a dash action and then move straight up another 100 feet, dropping them from 150 feet for 15d6 damage. And if you can Dash as a bonus action somehow (rogue cunning action or monk Ki - Step of the Wind) or use an action surge and dash with your main action, then you can REALLY fly high in one round and drop them.

If your GM is allowing the variant human, choose the grappler feat. At 4th level, choose improvised weapon specialization as a feat as well. This will allow you to grapple anyone you attack as a bonus action, and the grappler feat will make it pretty difficult for them to break free, plus provide you with advantage to attack anyone you have grappled.

My druid is a bit higher level. One of my more interesting combos is to cast contagion, change into a giant scorpion, attack someone and grapple them (inflicting the contagion with the Con option), and then stinging them with advantage. The Contagion will make it difficult for them to resist the poison damage. Very effective...

Remove ads