• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dry Spell

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
OOC:

None but Relgore and his two orc bodyguards ever use this passage. The others know that it contains
at least one trap, and that it is extremely dangerous. (I'm pretending the orc you interrogated told you all of this.) ;)

Slyfen, the chamber you are in is exactly the same size and shape as the wide part of the corridor. To the southeast, it extends to the square Rufus is standing above. To the northwest, it extends to the point where the corridor narrows again, including that last, ambiguous square. There are 25 squares. Please let me know if that is unclear, and I'll gladly make up a little map. :D

From where you are right now, you cannot tell whether any other squares are rigged to collapse (the ceiling is 30' above the surface you are standing on). However, the whole thing looks quite unstable to you.

Brain

First Post
Slyfen climbs back up the rope that is dangling down. "Perhaps if I was tied to the rope and kept on a short leash, a future fall could be halted before I hit the floor."

Slyfen pauses to drink the healing potion and listen to his companions.

Galieo

First Post
Looking from Hardin to Slyfen, Eolan blushes. "I didn't want to suggest putting you in harm's way, good elf, but the same idea crossed my mind." Hurriedly adding, "With Hardin and myself hold the line, I guarentee you won't plummet too far."

Even in the darkness, the knight flashes a smile, "Just don't ask me to tie those knots, with tasks like that I am all thumbs."

Krug

Newshound
"Well go ahead. I won't lend my soft hands to that rope," says Belisha. She taps her toes and watches the proceedings with interest.

Brain

First Post
"I don't see anywhere to anchor the rope on the other side right now. Belisha, keep an eye out across the room for signs of Relgore or his bodyguards please."

Slyfen will then start again, sweeping aside debris in the square ahead of him as he goes, and looking for signs of weakness before he steps anywhere. He'll try the square to the right of where he fell before first.

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
OOC: Very clever idea, guys! Here's how I'll work this. I'm assuming that Slyfen is tied to the rope, and that Hardin and Eolan are just holding on to it. If Slyfen triggers another collapse, he can avoid falling with a successful Reflex save (DC 20). If that fails, Hardin and Eolan will make a Strength check, and I'll use the sum of their scores (DC 15 to keep Slyfen from falling). If they fail the combined Strength check, Slyfen falls, and Hardin and Eolan each have to make a separate Reflex save (DC 15) to avoid being pulled into the hole after Slyfen.

More tonight.

Nac Mac Feegle

First Post
Bear in mind about the strength checks that Hardin weighs about 200 lbs and carries another 80 or so in equipment, while slyfen weighs in at about half that. Add in Eolan's weight and we shouldn't have much trouble.

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
Tied to the rope held by the fighter and cleric, the rogue searches to the right. Finding no traps, he carefully steps over, half expecting to fall. To his relief, and that of the rest of the party, the floor does not give way this time.

The wizard carefully watches the corridor ahead, but she sees nothing indicating any danger.

OOC Notes:

Cure light wounds potion [1d8+1] 7 + 1 = 8
Slyfen raised to 15 hp

Belisha
Spot check result 15 + 2 = 17

Slyfen
Search check result 9 + 10 = 19

If you want to continue this way, just give me a path or a method for determining your path, and I'll keep it going until something interesting happens or you reach the end of the wide area.

Attachments

• Corridor4.gif
    Corridor4.gif
    119.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
Nac Mac Feegle said:
Bear in mind about the strength checks that Hardin weighs about 200 lbs and carries another 80 or so in equipment, while slyfen weighs in at about half that. Add in Eolan's weight and we shouldn't have much trouble.

Thanks for pointing those things out. I appreciate players taking the time to help to clarify the situation. :)

I'm thinking along the lines of: "How difficult would it be to hold on to a rope with a heavy weight on the end if it suddenly fell?" That seems to me to be in the DC 15 range.

Plus, I'll combine your check results. Since you both have Str bonuses of +2, your separate d20 rolls only have to add up to 11. If my math is correct, there are only 45 possible ways you guys can get a 10 or less on two rolls of a d20. Given that there are 400 possible outcomes, this leaves you with only an 11.25% chance of failing the check. That seems pretty reasonable to me.

Last edited:

Remove ads