D&D 5E Dumb orc Class?

thorgrit

Explorer
Reminds me of the story of the orc who was fascinated by wizards. They'd point their finger at someone, shout "Sleep!" and they'd fall over! Orc tried really hard, and finally declared himself a wizard when he could do the same! Only instead of making arcane gestures like other wizards, he just hit people over the head with a greatclub until they stopped moving. He only learned the one "spell" but he could cast it unlimited times!

Xeviat

Hero
unearthed arcana beastmaster ranger with ape as beast companion: he's a brother from another mother...the smarter mother.

I was going to say Druid, but I really like the idea of a ranger with an ape, and the ape is the brains of the operation.

How do you you play a 2 int, especially if you ended up put your 8 and 11 into Wis and Cha (please don't). Well, intelligence governs the Arcana, history, nature, investigation, and religion skills. So you have basically no faculty with those. You don't remember things well. This is animal level intelligence. 5E bumped the predatory animals up to Int 3, so you're dumber than a dog. But, you're not necessarily unwise. You can perceive threats. You know who your friends are. But you'll probably not be good with tool use. I wouldn't purposefully hamstring your character, but I'd choose to stick with bludgeoning weapons and no ranged weapons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, I'm currently making a new character for a homebrew campaign. I rolled 18,16,16,8,11,4 when i was determining my stats and thought i should make a character with two intelligence (yes that is as dumb as a horse).me and the dm have already talked about the draw backs of having 2 intelligence but what is the most STUPID and FUNNY class i could be. Also if anyone could think of any sort of backstory starter idea of how they got that stupid would be brilliant! Thanks!
I'd recommend checking if your character is smart enough to tie his shoelaces and do elementary-school math (or the D&D equivalence of that intelligence level). You don't want to play the troll from the toilet scene in Harry Potter, right? But IF you do, that is your choice of course.

According to this: D&D 5E - Intelligence Ratings
You are right, 2 IS as smart as a horse. Literally.
So I wouldn't bet on him being able to use cutlery, or trust him with anything sharp. But there is always the chance he knows which end to hold the blade, that's just survival instinct.

I'd say he'd have bad manners, and makes bad decisions a LOT.

That said, I have a Bard myself with an intelligence of 5. And whenever there is a choice, where one option is incredibly stupid, I roll a dice to see how likely he is to do said idiotic thing.
(In an RP with a prankster, the group found a suspicious-looking stone with something red and sticky on it --the prankster tried to convince my character it was wine and to lick it, and he ended up licking it. It tasted awful, but that was it. Probably was blood. lol)

Done right a stupid character can be incredibly entertaining.
But remember that even animals can take care of themselves. So as long as he doesn't need to read (he is most likely illiterate), and he relies purely on other skills (my Bard uses charisma to charm people...and get in trouble a lot) that do not need intelligence, he should be fine.

And don't act like a drooling moron (or the HP troll), that's just stupid.

But if a priest tell you to go to church or you'll burn in the Nine Hells forever, your character will probably believe him (unless his wisdom is high) and go to church. (Until a party-member explains he doesn't have to. But on the bright side, inteligent people are usually too stupid to understand something as complicated as embarrassment, and tend to be happy because they can't understand or worry about the future too well.
"Thinking is hard," is a good catchphrase, usually followed by signing the contract with X without reading it, or trusting the sly merchant to give you the right amount of silver back.)

Bravery tends to follow low intelligence too, because, again; If you don't think too much you don't think about the future, or worry about it.
So your character may be the first to buy the magic beans, insist this treasure map the seller sold you is totally true, or say that you are clearly capable of taking down the great dragon that has terrorized the village and killed several armies sent after it.

Speak like a normal person. Well, mostly.
A better thing would be to say; Speak like a HP houseelf.
You're still a race that can think and speak --however badly--, so you know at least your native language. (Which better be common, otherwise you WILL sound like the bad example of an Orc in common. Learning a second language is hard when you're stupid. And if common is your second language, you will mostly speak via pointing and using verbs in the present tense, like "Orc bash", "You dumb."

Speaking in normal sentences with flawed grammar is better, assuming, again, Common is your native language.
"I's be Mipsy. I loves cooking and speaking with nice peoples like you."

And to circle back from my tangent...

ANY class is possible to use for a stupid person, but I would avoid Wizards and classes that relies on Intelligence to cast their spells.

Personally I like Bard, because you can be both stupid and charming at the same time.

Warrior or Paladins with low intelligence is such a cliche it's not even funny.
You'd have your work cut out to make those classes even remotely interesting.

You could try a priest.
And rather than the low intelligence showing itself in an uneducated way, if you have low intelligence, but high wisdom, you could create an absolute fanatic, that no logic can shake, and that fears nothing.

He/she would do anything for their deity, because they are not smart enough to question said deity, or their order.
They also would be brave, for the reasons mentioned above.

And it opens up the possibility for the Priest to be part of a corrupt priesthood, but unable to see that for themselves, which opens up for a really interesting story-arc later on, as he/she may learn more and more suspicious things about them, and your group members have to make you understand how bad the priesthood really is. Maybe culminating in a battle-scene where your character is forced to choose side, and is torn between his friends and the cult he was raised in and until recently thought could do no wrong.

Don't be afraid to try combinations of classes that absolutely shouldn't be stupid as well.

If you make a Wizard as inept as Rinswind from Discworld --who cannot cast a spell to save himself-- you can pick up a second class where your REAL skills can shine, while wearing the cloak of a failed Wizard.

Maybe you suck at magic, and that made you an excelent thief.
Or maybe you were forced to sing and preform for people, making you an accidental bard.

Try a few options, and see what suits you and your playingstyle best.

Hey, I'm currently making a new character for a homebrew campaign. I rolled 18,16,16,8,11,4 when i was determining my stats and thought i should make a character with two intelligence (yes that is as dumb as a horse).me and the dm have already talked about the draw backs of having 2 intelligence but what is the most STUPID and FUNNY class i could be. Also if anyone could think of any sort of backstory starter idea of how they got that stupid would be brilliant! Thanks!
I'd recommend checking if your character is smart enough to tie his shoelaces and do elementary-school math (or the D&D equivalence of that intelligence level). You don't want to play the troll from the toilet scene in Harry Potter, right? But IF you do, that is your choice of course.

According to this: D&D 5E - Intelligence Ratings
You are right, 2 IS as smart as a horse. Literally.
So I wouldn't bet on him being able to use cutlery, or trust him with anything sharp. But there is always the chance he knows which end to hold the blade, that's just survival instinct.

I'd say he'd have bad manners, and makes bad decisions a LOT.

That said, I have a Bard myself with an intelligence of 5. And whenever there is a choice, where one option is incredibly stupid, I roll a dice to see how likely he is to do said idiotic thing.
(In an RP with a prankster, the group found a suspicious-looking stone with something red and sticky on it --the prankster tried to convince my character it was wine and to lick it, and he ended up licking it. It tasted awful, but that was it. Probably was blood. lol)

Done right a stupid character can be incredibly entertaining.
But remember that even animals can take care of themselves. So as long as he doesn't need to read (he is most likely illiterate), and he relies purely on other skills (my Bard uses charisma to charm people...and get in trouble a lot) that do not need intelligence, he should be fine.

And don't act like a drooling moron (or the HP troll), that's just stupid.

But if a priest tell you to go to church or you'll burn in the Nine Hells forever, your character will probably believe him (unless his wisdom is high) and go to church. (Until a party-member explains he doesn't have to. But on the bright side, inteligent people are usually too stupid to understand something as complicated as embarrassment, and tend to be happy because they can't understand or worry about the future too well.
"Thinking is hard," is a good catchphrase, usually followed by signing the contract with X without reading it, or trusting the sly merchant to give you the right amount of silver back.)

Bravery tends to follow low intelligence too, because, again; If you don't think too much you don't think about the future, or worry about it.
So your character may be the first to buy the magic beans, insist this treasure map the seller sold you is totally true, or say that you are clearly capable of taking down the great dragon that has terrorized the village and killed several armies sent after it.

Speak like a normal person. Well, mostly.
A better thing would be to say; Speak like a HP houseelf.
You're still a race that can think and speak --however badly--, so you know at least your native language. (Which better be common, otherwise you WILL sound like the bad example of an Orc in common. Learning a second language is hard when you're stupid. And if common is your second language, you will mostly speak via pointing and using verbs in the present tense, like "Orc bash", "You dumb."
Speaking in normal sentences with flawed grammar is better, assuming, again, Common is your native language.
"I's be Mipsy. I loves cooking and speaking with nice peoples like you."

And to circle back from my tangent...

ANY class is possible to use for a stupid person, but I would avoid Wizards and classes that relies on Intelligence to cast their spells.

Personally I like Bard, because you can be both stupid and charming at the same time.
Warrior or Paladins with low intelligence is such a cliche it's not even funny.
You'd have your work cut out to make those classes even remotely interesting.

You could try a priest.
And rather than the low intelligence showing itself in an uneducated way, if you have low intelligence, but high wisdom, you could create an absolute fanatic, that no logic can shake, and that fears nothing.

He/she would do anything for their deity, because they are not smart enough to question said deity, or their order.
They also would be brave, for the reasons mentioned above.

And it opens up the possibility for the Priest to be part of a corrupt priesthood, but unable to see that for themselves, which opens up for a really interesting story-arc later on, as he/she may learn more and more suspicious things about them, and your group members have to make you understand how bad the priesthood really is. Maybe culminating in a battle-scene where your character is forced to choose side, and is torn between his friends and the cult he was raised in and until recently thought could do no wrong.

Don't be afraid to try combinations of classes that absolutely shouldn't be stupid as well.

If you make a Wizard as inept as Rinswind from Discworld --who cannot cast a spell to save himself-- you can pick up a second class where your REAL skills can shine, while wearing the cloak of a failed Wizard.

Maybe you suck at magic, and that made you an excellent thief.
Or maybe you were forced to sing and preform for people, making you an accidental bard.

Try a few options, and see what suits you and your playing-style best.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I'd recommend

Welcome to EN world :)

I recommend looking at the date of a thread you are replying to. This thread was created in 2017, and the last post was from 2017. The odds of your advice still being useful to this person is ... slim.

This (answering a long dormant thread) is what is known as "thread necromancy" and most times (but not always!) it's seen as a big gauche. However, don't worry too much about it, you aren't the first nor the last to make this mistake! :)

cheers,

(edit: missing a word)

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Holdor from Game of Thrones might work as Int 2 but reasonable Wisdom, Int 2 is the intelligence of a Horse (Wis 11) or a Rat (Wis 10)

Remove ads