• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon magazine reviews?

Mantriel

Explorer
I'm looking for Dungeon Magazine reviews.

Little (or not so little) reviews on the adventures in them. Right now, there are dozens (if not hundreds) of adventure modules for D&D4 and reading them all through, just to see which should be the next one I play would take a ridiculously long time.

Anyone has a link or something?

Neil Bishop

First Post
You'll struggle to find any.

The DDi versions of both Dungeon and Dragon attracted very line online response. I cannot remember reading a review since around 2008 or 2009.

You better practise your speed reading....

Mantriel

Explorer
Thanks for the reply. Hmm... that's bad. I have the impression that 4ed will be forgotten pretty quickly, Dungeon- and Dragon magazines are on hiatus... so many adventures will be lost in oblivion.

exile

First Post
Along similar lines, were access to a lot of the old Living Forgotten Realms adventures lost with the change to WotC's forums? I visited www.livingforgottenrealms.com recently and the links to a lot of the older adventures appear to be dead. This really kind of makes me sad if it is indeed the case.

D'karr

Adventurer
Along similar lines, were access to a lot of the old Living Forgotten Realms adventures lost with the change to WotC's forums? I visited www.livingforgottenrealms.com recently and the links to a lot of the older adventures appear to be dead. This really kind of makes me sad if it is indeed the case.

The links to the LFR wiki, which had a link to the archive, are broken due to the reorganization. However you can still download the LFR Archive using the direct link from the Wizard's site.

There are not many adventures in the archive. The rest (quite a bit) you can download directly from the Living Forgotten Realms site. Just use the links that say "Download (ZIP)" and don't use the ones that say "LFR Adventure Archive".

Somebody here on the community has a listing of many of the free downloadable adventures, and it is a great resource. Kind of a one stop shop.

I'm looking for Dungeon Magazine reviews.

Little (or not so little) reviews on the adventures in them. Right now, there are dozens (if not hundreds) of adventure modules for D&D4 and reading them all through, just to see which should be the next one I play would take a ridiculously long time.

Anyone has a link or something?

I have an "or something." Start with the most recent issues of Dungeon Mmgazine and work your way backward. Within Dungeon Magazine (and probably outside of it as well), adeptness at adventure design in 4e increased dramatically probably around late 2010, early 2011. Some of the more recent stuff I have perused in Dungeon Magazine is rather clever and thematically robust.

Mantriel

Explorer
I have to agree. I have read the first few Dungeons- and Dragons magazines from the beginning of 4e, and they were quite bad imho.

The last few are quite interesting. I don't really understand why they try to limit themselves to these few topics... They could use themes from their old d20 line:
Like:
01. Common Places (Inns, cities, villages, forests, hills, forts, dungeons, swamps, etc.)
02. Expeditionary Dispatches [Shadowfell, Feywild, Sigil, Abyss, Astral Sea, (Spellplague, Underdark)]
03. Named Places from Campaign settings (Neverwinter, Waterdeep, Baldur's Gate, etc.)
04. Common Beasts (Animals, Plants, Ankheg etc.)
05. Magical/Aberrant Beasts (Unicorn, Pegasus, Treant, Owlbear, Green Pudding etc.)
06. Codex of Betrayal (Zombie, Ghoul, Vampire, etc.)
07. Demonomicon of Iggwilv (Yeenoghu, Baphomet, Turaglas, Orcus, etc.)
08. Groups and Guilds (Ashen Covenant, The Wolves of Maldeen, etc.)
09. Winning Races (articles about the different races)
10. Channel Divinity (Article about the various Gods and their servants)
11. Class Acts (Articles about the various classes)
12. Wandering Monsters (Articles about creature design)
13. Legends and Lore (Editoral talk, about R&D)
14. Bazaar of the Bizaar (New magic items)
15. Etc.

I'm sure there are several capable writers out there who would love to contribute to the magazines.

JeffB

Legend
I recently went through the same issue (no pun intended). IMO, its alot of work for very little payoff, but as posted previously, the majority of best stuff is post essentials. Work your way back.

Remove ads