• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon Tiles - Photos

zoroaster100

First Post
I use Dwarven Forge whenever I have time to set up stuff and don't have to travel. But I still find the Dungeon Tiles very useful when I travel to run a game away from home, or when I need to set up an encounter area quickly. I also like using the Ruins of the Wild set of Dungeon Tiles to create outdoor encounter areas. I hope Wizards put out more outdoor tiles soon for more variety.

Thanee

First Post
Some more outdoor variety would be great. Like small lakes/ponds or actual rivers that are more than a few feet wide, bridges, stuff like that. Always useful. :)

Bye
Thanee

VirtualWizard

Explorer
I have two copies of every set and really find them handy. Of the 7 sets, I've used #1, 3, 6 the most. However, I would like to see more outdoor tiles with rivers, mountains, hills and forest/jungle terrain. Also, I like to see some good outer wall castle pieces.

webrunner

First Post
I have some tiles, but I must confess I dont really use them- when building my own maps it feels.. wrong, kinda, to have to build based on what tiles I have. It seems limiting. How do people get around that? Are they primarily good for pre-made adventures, or is there a trick to making adventures using tiles instead of on a battlemat/1inch graph paper?

zoroaster100

First Post
The tiles come in enough shapes and sizes you can build a dungeon with most any size rooms and connecting corridors if you buy multiples of each set of tiles. For the most special encounter areas such as giant caverns with lava rivers, etc. you would need to use something else, such as drawing the area on a mat or creating your own tiles to supplement.

How can you get them to stay down on the table is my problem! All card tiles have the problem that they move around too much.

one day I'll get rich and get a magnetic, gridded, whitebaord, and lots of mini super magnets (niobium?) to stick 'em down with....

The Little Raven

First Post
How can you get them to stay down on the table is my problem! All card tiles have the problem that they move around too much.

Try finding some poster tack. It's an adhesive that is reusable and will not damage any of your tiles.

There's also a small company that makes adhesive felt mats call Tac-On, which I am going to be looking at in the near future.

I have discovered one draw back on these that seems minor but is a problem. For a game at the local game store I bought large pieces of foam board and using fun tack (very sticky puddy) I set up several maps in advance. Two months later I needed the tiles and went to remove them-

The fun tack will TEAR the pieces. So be careful.

Otherwise I love the tiles.

Thankyou for the scanned images. I hope to put these into a file along with how many of each set I have to create dungeons easier on the go. Combined I have over 20 sets. It is becoming a bit daunting to assemble.

CastTiltowait

First Post

An alternative for sticking things down: Post-It Glue sticks. I do a lot of stuff with cardstock terrain (think really heavy paper folded to make 3D buildings, etc.). They've got little props, things like chairs, tables, bookshelves, etc. that are easily knocked aside when people are moving their figs. I rub this stuff on the bottom, however, and they hold up to any casual bumping. I can still pick them up easily, no muss, no fuss.

I have some tiles, but I must confess I dont really use them- when building my own maps it feels.. wrong, kinda, to have to build based on what tiles I have. It seems limiting. How do people get around that? Are they primarily good for pre-made adventures, or is there a trick to making adventures using tiles instead of on a battlemat/1inch graph paper?

I've posted about this company elsewhere, but I'll repeat the gist for those who are interested. The cardstock terrain I use comes from a company called WorldWork Games that sells folders of .pdf files so you can print out as little or as much of the terrain you want, and it's modular so you can build your encounter as you like. Most of their stuff is designed for doing 3D buildings, etc, but they've got one set called DungeonLinx 2.5D that's for doing up dungeons with tiles (and the occasional simple 3D prop like doors and a dragon). If you want an 800' corridor, go ahead, print out that much, once you've spent the $17 for the files, the only real cost is ink from your printer (or your work printer;)), paper, and if you want to, glue to stick it to some hard backing like foamcore/matboard/cereal box cardboard.

[sblock]
dlxlotgb1.jpg

dlxlotgs2.jpg

dlxlotgs3.jpg

[/sblock]

Most of their sets, however, have ground tiles, and for those of you looking for good outdoor stuff, they've a set called ExteriorWorks: Hinterland that has a bunch of grass, road, and river "tiles" Even if you don't do any of the 3D stuff (hills, cliffs, bushes, and trees you can put figs in!), you could easily cover a 30x40 outdoor scene with high resolution (300 dpi) good looking terrain. The time investment is only cutting off the margin from the paper and the drying time for whatever you use to glue the stuff down to any backing.

[sblock]
ew_3.jpg

ew_6.jpg

ew_4.jpg

[/sblock]

They've a ton of stuff suiting all sorts of genres (if you go to their site, make sure you check out their horror stuff, most of it is readily useable for fantasy games). If you choose to do the 3D stuff, it can take some time investment to build up your "stock" of pieces (luckily for me, not a lot of talent if you can cut a straight line with a ruler and x-acto knife), but they can be reused for all sorts of encounters. I've been re-using a bunch of the same buildings for my RHoD game, just rearranging them, sometimes making them 1 story small buidings, other times making them into multi-story, multi-room mansions or town halls.

hexgrid

Explorer

You've got to be willing to let the tile selection influence the maps you design to get the fullest use out of them. In this sense, they're slightly less useably for pre-made adventures, unless the adventure has been designed with Dungeon Tiles in mind.

Remove ads