• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeoneer

chronoplasm

First Post
DUNGEONEER

Role: Defender. You use the terrain to protect your allies.
Power Source: Arcane. You use magic to bend the landscape to your will.
Key Abilities: Wisdom, Constitution, Intelligence

Armor Proficiencies: Cloth, Leather, Hide
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple melee, military melee, simple ranged
Implement: Axe, Hammer, Pick

Trained Skills: Dungeoneering (WIS). From the class below, choose three more trained skills at 1st level:
Class Skills: Acrobatics (DEX), Athletics (STR), Arcana (INT), Nature (WIS), Thievery (DEX)

Class Features:

Fortress Challenge
Whenever you attack an enemy, you may mark that enemy and place a trap within 10 squares. Any previous traps you placed disappear.
Marked enemies get -2 to attacks that don't include you and whenever the marked enemy makes an attack that doesn't include you as the target, your trap makes an attack against that enemy.

Dungeoneer's Trap
Choose from one of four traps at level one.
(I haven't decided on the traps exactly, but I would like to have one for each of the trap roles.)

Dungeoneer's Implement
If you have an axe, hammer, or pick equipped, you may add its enhancement bonus to spells with the implement keyword.

Dungeoneer's Mount
You must give up Dungeoneer's Trap and Fortress Challenge to take this feature.
Whenever you attack an enemy, you may mark that enemy. Marked enemies get -2 to attacks that don't include you as a target, and whenever marked enemies make attacks that don't include you as a target, your mount may make a basic attack against them.
At level 1, choose one of the following mounts:
Worm
Insect
Mole
Serpent
Scorpion
Reptile
Pangolin (Ground)
Pangolin (Arboreal)

So that's the basic idea. I want to get some comments on this before I start putting up power ideas. Do you think this idea is worth pursuing?

Starfox

Hero
The concept is cool, but the name... Try and find another name.

When I think of a combat trap maker, I don't think defender, I think controller.

Maybe if the trapsmith himself isn't so durable, but somehow the traps take damage for him? The Arcanist (from an early, free, virtual Dragon) had constructs with hit points. If such a construct can mark, it could absorb damage.

Of course, this is just ideas out of thin air - its your protect, don't let me set your course.

WYT

First Post
I really like the concept, but as Starfox said, the class' name does not fit with the concept. I think bounty hunter or something like this would be a good alternative.

chronoplasm

First Post
Hmmm... straying from my original idea quite a bit, I had an idea:

Essence Collector
Whenever a marked enemy is reduced to 0 hit points, you gain an essence point of a corresponding type.
If the creature is abberant, you gain an abberant essence, if the creature is fey you gain a fey essence, etc.
You may spend an essence point of any type as a minor action to regain a healing surge.
Certain powers may also allow you to spend essence points to add additional effects to the power.

Grimgrin

First Post
Dungeoneer has been pretty firmly established as a rogue or ranger that specializes in exploring and disarming dungeons.

The concept is cool, but the name... Try and find another name.

When I think of a combat trap maker, I don't think defender, I think controller.

How about Geomancer: One who reshapes the land (geo-) through magic (-mancer)? I completely agree that what your describing is a more a "controller" that a "defender" even if your character has more melee weapon and armor proficiencies than a typical wizard. A character that fills a battlefield with traps and barriers is by definition controlling the battlezone.

OTHER IDEAS

Freemason (a secret society with alleged global power)
Arcane Sapper (a sapper digs a mine shaft under walls to collapse them)
Trapezium (A four sided shape with no parrallel sides)
Blockierhersteller (German for Trap Maker)
Terra Magus (Earth Mage in latin)
Shikakejirai (Japanese for booby trap)

what's a "Pangolin"?

A pangolin is a scaly anteater.
pangolin.jpeg

Last edited:

chronoplasm

First Post
Geomancer sounds good. Maybe make it a primal controller since we don't need any more arcane controllers?

Lava Pit Geomancer Attack 5
Daily. Primal, Implement, Zone, Fire
Standard Action
Area burst 2 within 20 squares
Target: Each square in burst.
Effect: The burst creates a zone of molten lava that fills the area until the end of encounter. The zone is considered difficult terrain. Any creature that ends its move in the zone takes 1d6 + wisdom modifier fire damage.

Remove ads