'Dungeons & Dragons' fights for its future

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I just want to examine this statement for a moment:
As long as D&D is making a profit, no matter how small, Hasbro has no reason to axe it. Hasbro most likely has small board games that added together brings in quite a profit. D&D would be the same.

Profitable products get axed all the time. Chrysler recently announced they're ending production of the PT Cruiser soon- a move that has some industry experts puzzled since its one of Chrysler's most popular makes.

Closer to home, despite numerous publications that exist and are profitable in dual (electronic and physical) formats, the physical format for both Dungeon and Dragon were axed, and both, according to Paizo's stats, were doing quite well.

The fact is, WotC felt it had a better way to spend its money than printing magazines whose 3rd party licenses had expired, and reallocated that money elswhere, resutling in a profitable product getting the heave-ho in favor of their brand new shiny thing.

The reason a company decides to axe a profitable profit is pretty simple- they believe that whatever they're expending on that product can produce a better ROI (return on investment) in a different use than the current one. Many companies, especially large, multinational ones, will even have a set minimum ROI below which a product or service will be discontinued, and those resources used to produce it reallocated.

IOW, if Hasbro finds 4Ed (or any subsequent edition) to be insufficiently profitable, it may be sold off or simply have its production ended.

TechOgre2000 said:
Well, not a direct link, but I think it's fairly close:

http://www.chick.com/articles/dnd.asp

And please pay special attention to the "well-researched answers on this controversy". Very amusing.
Amusing, or saddening. It's amazing how many wrong statements and false claims can be put in the text. Perhaps more amazing is the idea that people that have played the game could believe the stuff (that an outsider might believe it, I can see, except for the parts where they are talking about magic or the mythos that is real.).
Ah well, I think there have been a few discussions on this already. ;)

I just hope there will be more (positive) news coverage in the next few weeks.

Oh, and by the way: Why is The Rouse talking to MSBNC? He should post on this board, and tell us about the GSL, or at least have Mearls spill the multiclassing rules or a sample ritual!

Just because he is now popular with the internet mass media, doesn't mean he can abondon us! [/hyperbole]

;)

med stud

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
I just want to examine this statement for a moment:

Profitable products get axed all the time. Chrysler recently announced they're ending production of the PT Cruiser soon- a move that has some industry experts puzzled since its one of Chrysler's most popular makes.

Closer to home, despite numerous publications that exist and are profitable in dual (electronic and physical) formats, the physical format for both Dungeon and Dragon were axed, and both, according to Paizo's stats, were doing quite well.

The fact is, WotC felt it had a better way to spend its money than printing magazines whose 3rd party licenses had expired, and reallocated that money elswhere, resutling in a profitable product getting the heave-ho in favor of their brand new shiny thing.

The reason a company decides to axe a profitable profit is pretty simple- they believe that whatever they're expending on that product can produce a better ROI (return on investment) in a different use than the current one. Many companies, especially large, multinational ones, will even have a set minimum ROI below which a product or service will be discontinued, and those resources used to produce it reallocated.

IOW, if Hasbro finds 4Ed (or any subsequent edition) to be insufficiently profitable, it may be sold off or simply have its production ended.
I don't think Hasbro cares about which edition it is, they care about the brand name. D&D is a well established product with a brand recognition among people. If Hasbro is interested in fantasy games in any way, they will keep D&D as long as it is not failing horribly.

med stud

First Post
xechnao said:
I was not talking about the VTT but rather the whole package. How can we trust at this point that we will get a 2000 pages a year worth of "dungeon" and "dragon" that Paizo had been making so far -and rather even more since there would be no physical value (just online info)?
Are they going to hire new people? If so why haven't they done so far? I am not sure I can trust this plan working out as it should be at this point. Perhaps they are trying the "give less" method of promoting DDI but which is exactly the contrary of 3e marketing philosophy -at least on startup. So is this how their customers really go active right now or is it due to a lack of organization?
What do you think it is?
The thing about the whole package is that you get every book, no matter if you have it in physical form or not. You also get Dragon, Dungeon and VTT. I don't buy splat books as a general rule, but I would pay 10$/month to get what's essentially a subscription for splatbooks. I also find the combination of Skype and VTT to be interesting.

xechnao

First Post
med stud said:
The thing about the whole package is that you get every book, no matter if you have it in physical form or not. You also get Dragon, Dungeon and VTT. I don't buy splat books as a general rule, but I would pay 10$/month to get what's essentially a subscription for splatbooks. I also find the combination of Skype and VTT to be interesting.

Will I get the books in pdf form or a structured database of rules like the SRD online? If I am getting all the books as they are in print form in pdf, including the novels too etch yes it is a fair deal.
But I think you are wrong regarding this one. I think you get a free pdf of the book if you buy the printed book and perhaps you also are a DDI subscriber - only the last does not give you the pdf for free.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
xechnao said:
Will I get the books in pdf form or a structured database of rules like the SRD online? If I am getting all the books as they are in print form in pdf, including the novels too etch yes it is a fair deal.

I apologise if I read the above incorrectly, but if that's the amount of content (Dungeon PDF, Dragon PDF, the rulebooks that are released that month in PDF, the novels released that month in PDF, the functionality of the VTT, the character generator, et al.) that you want before you think that 10 bucks a month is a fair deal, I'm afraid WotC will never meet your expectations.

Actually, "never" is too weak a word to describe the odds that WotC will offer that amount of content for 10 bucks a month. :D

/M

occam

Adventurer
variant said:
I quit D&D during 3e for a long time when I started playing Everquest and I really loved 3e when it came out. Our group simply drifted to playing it instead of gaming at the table. We later picked it up again when Luclin was released and EQ started going down hill. With 4e doing stuff like putting Tiefling and Dragonborn as core races and leaving out the Bard and Druid, I just don't know if I want to switch and already I am looking at what MMOGs are coming out in the future.

Frankly, I kind of want WotC to learn a lesson about listening to what their consumers want instead of trying to whore it out to those who will never buy it anyway.

You mean like consumers that would rather play MMORPGs than D&D?

With a change like 4e, you're always going to displease some people. WotC is intent on using 4e to reach what they believe is their largest addressable market. They might be wrong about what that market is, or you might not be part of it. We'll know who's right in a few years.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Sadly, ALL news is like this when you are actually THERE for the event the news reports.

When I was in highschool there was an incident where a stupid kid scratched another stupid kid with a swiss-army knife. The paper reported it as "A gang-related stabbing." where the "stabbed" kid had been a "good clean boy" until he moved to "this rough East-Side school"

I'm from Canada, not Compton.

They were both idiots, and the "stabbed" kid was back in school the next day. Not exactly a serious injury.

This is like that.

Fitz

Remove ads