D&D 5E Dungeonscape no more?

Paraxis

Explorer
I hope we can now get official pdf releases now.

Sure would like to give WoTC some money to use some digital format of the game.

But I guess they don't like money.

Evenglare

Adventurer
Honestly, in my opinion, nothing of value was lost. I know it sounds mean and trollish but I don't mean it in an offensive way, it's just that the program is worthless right now other than some basic character building. The program had very very high goals and I think it was simply too overwhelming for them. In it's current state I'm not sure I would even want it at the table. There were simply too many bugs. BUT, there are more implications than you might think. The program was supposed to fill in the roll of pdfs, clearly that is not going to happen. So does this mean PDFs are coming? Of course it's too early to say, but at least there is a bit more hope.

transtemporal

Explorer
Aw man, that sucks. :(

Unfortunately, I don't think labour-of-love is the way to go. Old school publishers don't respond to that. You have to tell them to :):):):) themselves in order to get them interested.

Cake Mage

Explorer
ah bugger.

I thought the beta was coming along pretty well and I was really looking forward to its release. WoTC...why can't you get it right for once? (yes I don't know for sure it was them, but their track records certainly isn't doing them any favors)

Grazzt

Demon Lord
I'm guessing because they don't seem to pick developers with a track record of producing RPG Tools. Heck, maybe that doesn't even exist (given there's not exactly a lot of money in it), but maybe they should be picking a database company or something.

Hero Labs

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
Honestly, having been in the web beta and not seeing any real progress in the last month, I suspect WOTC grew impatient with waiting for the program to be completed.

You could not successfully make a character in the beta in the state it is in. At least not one that was 100% correct. It also didn't let you multiclass at all. I attempted to make 2 or 3 characters in it and after they all came out wrong, I decided to wait for the inevitable patch in a week or two that caused everything to work. When I didn't see any patches at all, I became concerned that it wasn't going to make any real progress for months and months.

I'm guessing WOTC saw the same thing and pulled the plug.

dd.stevenson

Super KY
The best case scenario isn't all that bad--it's quite possible that WotC has open-ish licensing plans which render exclusive agreements untenable. Which could explain, perhaps, why Trapdoor continues to have plans for Dungeonscape.

...of course, the worst case scenario is still pretty bad, and when it comes to Wotc and electronic products, I'm firmly in the "seeing is believing" camp.

Remove ads