Black Flag Tales of the Valiant Kobold Press Kickstarter opens Tuesday, May 23rd

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I just got a notification from the Foundry Discord that it's supported so sounds good to me. Honestly I am not sure that there won't be better alternatives for 5E adjacent games but if it has full support for Foundry I can use it.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I just got a notification from the Foundry Discord that it's supported so sounds good to me. Honestly I am not sure that there won't be better alternatives for 5E adjacent games but if it has full support for Foundry I can use it.
Sure, it will be on Foundry.....but will it have its own game system, or can I actually use it with my 5e stuff in that system? That's the unanswered question, so far (people are asking in the comments on KS).

Zaukrie

New Publisher
The announcement on Foundry says there will be a ToV game system. That is expected, but unfortunate. The means that to use any 5e content, you'll need to manually convert it somehow.....(or manually convert ToV to 5e). That makes me less interested for sure.....but not completely out.....

SteveC

Sure, it will be on Foundry.....but will it have its own game system, or can I actually use it with my 5e stuff in that system? That's the unanswered question, so far (people are asking in the comments on KS).
I think that's what you're going to get with Foundry and other VTTs too. I have a module that makes it easier to add 5E content and I'd expect to be able to use that to add content to their game too.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I think that's what you're going to get with Foundry and other VTTs too. I have a module that makes it easier to add 5E content and I'd expect to be able to use that to add content to their game too.
You have a module that adds 5e content to non-5e game systems? Which module?

SteveC

You have a module that adds 5e content to non-5e game systems? Which module?
I have one that makes it easier to create them by hand. There is also a module to import content from D&DBeyond, but I haven't used that because I don't have anything more than the SRD to import. There's also a D&DBeyond character converter too.

For those not familiar with Foundry (or VTTs in general) maybe something to be helpful: when you create a "world" you specify a gameset to use with it. There's one for the 5E SRD materials, for instance, and I expect that there will be one for Valiant. You can only use one of these at a time.

On top of that, you can import and use many modules, so for instance you might have a 5.1 SRD module, which adds content from the SRD to the gameset compendium. So if I do that, I could search on, say, magic missile and pull up information on the spell.

Hopefully that makes things easier for folks who don't use these types of systems.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I have one that makes it easier to create them by hand. There is also a module to import content from D&DBeyond, but I haven't used that because I don't have anything more than the SRD to import. There's also a D&DBeyond character converter too.

For those not familiar with Foundry (or VTTs in general) maybe something to be helpful: when you create a "world" you specify a gameset to use with it. There's one for the 5E SRD materials, for instance, and I expect that there will be one for Valiant. You can only use one of these at a time.

On top of that, you can import and use many modules, so for instance you might have a 5.1 SRD module, which adds content from the SRD to the gameset compendium. So if I do that, I could search on, say, magic missile and pull up information on the spell.

Hopefully that makes things easier for folks who don't use these types of systems.
none of that allows you to import non 5e stuff into 5e systems......Alas. This is my concern with ToV....how to use it with 5e content online.

SteveC

none of that allows you to import non 5e stuff into 5e systems......Alas. This is my concern with ToV....how to use it with 5e content online.
There is a module that makes it easier to enter it by hand. I don't know how else to explain it. But yes, you only get one game system so I suppose you will have to choose which one you want to use. You'd be in the same situation with 6E or any other 5E adjacent product, so ... pick your poison. I suppose you have to consider which company will support their product the best long term. I don't have an answer for that.

If these products are released under CC, there is nothing to stop someone from exporting the content and repackaging it as a Module, but who knows if that will happen.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
There is a module that makes it easier to enter it by hand. I don't know how else to explain it. But yes, you only get one game system so I suppose you will have to choose which one you want to use. You'd be in the same situation with 6E or any other 5E adjacent product, so ... pick your poison. I suppose you have to consider which company will support their product the best long term. I don't have an answer for that.

If these products are released under CC, there is nothing to stop someone from exporting the content and repackaging it as a Module, but who knows if that will happen.
Sure, but the main selling point is that this is 5e compatible and you can use your old adventures and monsters and stuff......I get all of what you are saying, but it is pretty hard to use your old 5e stuff and this, given it is two game systems. We can hope someone builds a converter of some kind, as the underlying math is nearly identical.....

Remove ads