• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dwarf Fighter / Barbarian questions..

Lilaxe

Explorer
Can a Dwarf Fighter (Dwarves favored class is fighter so there are no penalties for me to do this) take a level in Barbarian without penalties?

Was asked this question by a Player in our game:
Also, with the Fast Movement special ability. It says "This benefit applies only when he is wearing no armor, light armor, or medium armor and not carrying a heavy load". But the description for a Dwarf says "Dwarf base land speed is 20 feet. However, dwarves can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load". So would a Dwarf Barbarian wearing heavy armor still gain the benefit of Fast Movement? I would think so seeing that Dwarves treat heavy armor the same and medium armor.

It would seem to me that the fast movement ability would not cover the heavy armor, because regardless of what dwarves consider armor, the barbarian class itself limits the armor types allowable to medium, and doesnt include heavy. Am I right?
Also, can you level into Barbarian? I had thought it was more a starting class you could leave...but can you pick Bar after 8 levels of another class?

Felix

Explorer
Fast Movement:
This benefit applies only when he is wearing no armor, light armor, or medium armor and not carrying a heavy load.

Pretty much answers your question. Regardless of what dwarves move in heavy armor, fast movement does not apply.

Multiclassing:
You can level into any class you meet the requirements for, ie, no lawful alignment for barbarians, unless the class has special multiclassing restrictions like the paladin or the monk. The barbarian's only restriction is the lawful alignment ban. So yes, you can multiclass into barbarian after 8 levels of fighter.

Nac_Mac_Feegle

First Post
And you will not take any multi-classing xp penalties, because your fighter levels are all but ignored when calculating multi-class level discrepencies.

To start taking xp penalties, you need 2 classes more than 1 level apart, and neither of them to be your favoured class. I am almost certain thats correct, having never gone more than 1 level different, or not had a favoured class (I tend to play humans)

Feegle Out :cool:

Last edited:

Lilaxe

Explorer
thanks for the answers.

im sorry this got posted twice. i hit submit once and my screen locked for several minutes so i re-submitted it...so its up twice...

Remove ads