• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

dwarf fighter / barbarian

Lilaxe

Explorer
can a 8th level dwarf fighter take a level of barbarian without penalties?

also, a player asked if the Barbarian Fast Movement ability was useable by a dwarf in heavy armor because dwarves consider heavy armor, medium. The question is below:

"I was thinking of taking a level in Barbarian. First off I am a Dwarf and Fighter is a Dwarves favored class so there are no penalties foe me to do this. But I had a question about the Fast Movement special ability. It says "This benefit applies only when he is wearing no armor, light armor, or medium armor and not carrying a heavy load". But the description for a Dwarf says "Dwarf base land speed is 20 feet. However, dwarves can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load". So would a Dwarf Barbarian wearing heavy armor still gain the benefit of Fast Movement? I would think so seeing that Dwarves treat heavy armor the same and medium armor."

I am unsure about the class switching, but the armor question seems to dictate the barbarian class limitations would apply regardless of dwarven armor rules..am i right?

Gnome

First Post
No penalties for taking a level of barbarian, since his other levels are in fighter, which is the dwarves' favored class.

Dwarves can move at their full speed in medium and heavy armor, but the armor is still medium or heavy, so the barbarian fast movement limitation still applies. As an aside, movement rates are normally reduced for medium and heavy armors, not just heavy.

Gnome

First Post
Oh, and if he can afford it, mithril full plate armor is considered medium armor, so he could get the fast movement ability while wearing a suit of this stuff.

Shin Okada

Explorer
A Dwarf Fighter 8 can take a level of Barbarian without getting XP penalty, because Fighter is his favored class.

For armor, Dwarfs do not consider heavy armor as medium armor. It is just that they can move at full-speed when wearing heavier armor or carrying heavier load. For other purpose, heavy armor is still heavy armor for them. Thus, a Dwarf Fighter/Barbarian in heavy armor cannot get +10 speed from Barbarian class.

As the above poster says, a heavy armor made of Mithral is a medium armor. So Mithral Full-Plate (or Mithral Heavy Plate, etc) is the way to go.

Lilaxe

Explorer
so how would that work out...

say Dwarf speed is 20. barbarian +10 = 30. and if wearing medium armor (which has say a minus of 5 - i dont have my books handy) is that nullified by the dwarven racial ability?

irdeggman

First Post
Lilaxe said:
so how would that work out...

say Dwarf speed is 20. barbarian +10 = 30. and if wearing medium armor (which has say a minus of 5 - i dont have my books handy) is that nullified by the dwarven racial ability?

Movement should be 30.

Since per the SRD:

Fast Movement (Ex): A barbarian’s land speed is faster than the norm for his race by +10 feet. This benefit applies only when he is wearing no armor, light armor, or medium armor and not carrying a heavy load/b]. Apply this bonus before modifying the barbarian’s speed because of any load carried or armor worn.

Medium armor still allows a barbarian's fast movement and unless he is carrying a heavy load then he still meets the ability prerequisites (i.e, armor and weight restrictions).

The dwarf ability has nothing to do with a barbarian's class ability though.

Nac_Mac_Feegle

First Post
Dwarf Base Speed : 20'
Dwarf speed in medium armour : 20'
Dwarf Speed in heavy armour : 20'

Dwarven Barbarian base speed : 30'
Dwarven Barbarain in medium armour : 30'
Dwarven Barbarian in heavy Armour : 20'

[edit]I have been corrected by Infinity2000, in his infinite wisdom :) thanks for the heads up[/edit]

Feegle Out :cool:

Last edited:

Infiniti2000

First Post
Nac_Mac_Feegle said:
I dont think dwarves have been radically changed since 3.0 to 3.5, so that formula should still be correct
You're incorrect: "Dwarf base land speed is 20 feet. However, dwarves can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in such situations). "

Nac_Mac_Feegle

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
You're incorrect: "Dwarf base land speed is 20 feet. However, dwarves can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in such situations). "

Thank you for pointng that out, I have edit the post accordingly

Feegle Out :cool:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads