Dwimmermount OOC

Imperialus

Explorer
I'm really sorry you feel that way Binder. Let me explain what happened 'behind the screen' such as it is to see if I can help shed some light on how things went down from my perspective at least.

Your encounter with Rethar was a random encounter. Your reaction roll was reasonable leaning towards favorable. It also helped that you outnumbered Rethar and he knew that he'd be on the loosing side of any combat. That's what caused him to mention the existence of the dwarven captives. His only motivation was to get you talking so you would be less likely to split his skull, he honestly wasn't negotiating in very good faith. That's why he offered the exchange for such a low number. By playing hardball and making him fear for his life Midgrim managed to successfully negotiate him down.

At this point, the whole thing could have been a done deal and the encounter with Sigur could have been avoided entirely had you agreed to accept a proof of life in note form. There was really no downside to the Orcs in accepting that offer. If you brought the goods, even a dozen axes, they'd give you some captives they didn't know what to do with anyhow. Midgrim turned the note down and demanded that they let a dwarf leave with him because he believed it would likely be a forgery, but I would counter that by asking how many Orcs would know how to write in Dwarven?

The demand to take a living dwarf out of the the dungeon based on a promise was an extremely high bar, and one that IMO requires a huge amount of trust for a chaotically aligned character to even consider. This was really the first turning point towards the negotiations going sour. Midgrim might have been negotiating in good faith, but think of it from the perspective of a creature who's entire worldview revolves around backstabbing, trechery, and 'might makes right'. The Dwarven prisoner could have provided you with intelligence regarding the orcs forces, their defenses, their weaknesses, all sorts of stuff if you weren't negotiating in good faith and instead plan on mounting an armed rescue operation.

Your reaction roll with Sigur was neutral leaning towards hostile. You're right, he is not balanced for an encounter with a first level party, he is the leader of a faction on the second level of the dungeon. You would very likely be well into second level by the time you should be encountering him. In the event that it was a combat encounter you would also likely have allies from other factions on the second level to help you out. Even in straight up combat, he is a 4HD orc chieftain with almost as many HP as the entire party combined. I was actively trying to avoid combat because in a straight up fight your chances of coming out on top were pretty slim.

Now, from Sigur's point of view he wanted the negotiations to succeed as his tribe is in a fight for their collective lives. However, he knew he only had the lives of the dwarves as his bargaining chip and he was pragmatic enough to know that the chances of a future working relationship were slim at best. Orcs and Dwarves would have an exceptionally difficult time working towards a common goal at the best of times. As such he wanted to get as much out of the deal as possible when he had leverage. I mean Midgrim even though that Rethar's demand of 15 axes was low to begin, but still chose to play hardball and aim for a better deal. Sigur's brain went in the same direction, and from the perspective of a chaotically aligned character he felt that no one but him was in a position to negotiate the value of his property. I tried to telegraph this by showing Rethar having been beaten up.

This led to Sigur showing up with a significant show of force in order to re-enforce his negotiating position and his high counteroffer. Now at this point negotiations were still possible, but the price would have inevitably been higher. Midgrim countered with an even lower offer than his first one. At this point Sigur was just flat out insulted and honestly believed that there was no way you were negotiating in good faith. Had Midgrim countered with a more reasonable offer himself, even replacing the swords with axes and offering no armour then Sigur would have agreed, shook on it, given you his captive and walked away. Instead, when faced with an offer that was even worse than what his lackey had negotiated he decided to end the negotiations in a very orcy, manner if for no other reason than to save face. You still could have let him walk away, and either fulfilled his demands or returned in such a manner that the deck was stacked in your favor. Depending on how you spun it after leaving the dungeon you could have either ended up with the dwarves of Adamas supplying you with the requisite items, or rallying a couple dozen strong dwarven warparty to mount a rescue/revenge operation.

When attacked, he chose to flee, due to a failed moral check having lost half his force in a single surprise round. As he fled though, he dropped the flask to cover his escape.

Now, as for the 'fireball' Orc tribes can have shaman's in them with the ability to cast spells of 5th level Clerics. Glyph of warding is a 3rd level cleric spell and as such the tribal shaman can cast it once per day. By inscribing the glyph on a jar filled with Azoth and telling Sigur the command word, he created the item that you encountered. As a 5HD cleric the glyph itself does 2HP of damage per level of the caster which led to the 10 damage dealt to Lief. The exploding Azoth did 1d10 damage, the same as the Azoth you have been using.

Now as for the grabbing of the flask by Klyman I think I did everything I reasonably could to warn you that it might potentially be dangerous. Why would Sigur have dropped something benign, nevermind valuable behind him as he retreated? Even with the detonation, as a dwarf you needed to roll a 15+ chance to take 4HP of damage which would have led to Midgrim surviving, and after that roll failed there was a further 10+ save to pass his saving throw vs. death and survive with 1 HP. If Midgrim had had full HP at the time of the fight then regardless of his save he would have survived.

Even now, negotiations could still be possible. After all you have 3 captive orcs as leverage, you've proven that you are powerful in your own right, and you could still potentially bring this to a conclusion that involves the remaining dwarves being returned alive.

*Edit* I do honestly hope that this helps explain where I was coming from, and that I was not out to railroad you, or screw you over. I really enjoy you as a player Binder Fred, and would like to see you continue the game. Low level AD&D can be very lethal. I mean Jimi went from full HP to dead in a single round a while ago. I can totally, 100% sympathize with how frustrating it can be to loose a PC, and if you want to rejoin with a new PC I'd really look forward to whoever it is kicking in doors for the second expedition into the dungeon. If you do decide to drop out I'd also like to make sure that I've extended a 100% open invitation to rejoin should you change your mind at any point down the road (assuming the game is still going at least) just keep me posted as to what you would like to do.

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Anyway, what am I going to play now and where will I be starting? Assuming of course that I'm still in ... and I DO wish to be. :)

Imperialus

Explorer
Totally up to you. You could take over as Climent or Pieter temporally until we get back to Muntburg and then roll up whatever you want. You could certainly play the dwarf as a multiclass fighter thief like your original idea. You'd have a penalty to pick locks, but other than that your thief skills would be intact. I might even suggest a bonus to climbing if you got a hook hand or something like that. Whether you roll a new PC or take over the Dwarf you will be starting with XP equal to what the survivors take out of the dungeon.

Imperialus

Explorer
Oh, also as an FYI I was thinking of opening up another round of recruiting. Jimi is out for a while, and a few more PC's would probably help things move along a bit more smoothly. Alternatively I would encourage you guys to start looking at hirelings once you get back to Muntburg.

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
As seen IC, I think I'll be taking over Vindar for now, if that's alright? Haven't decided on a class yet (can't quite cut the paladin's requirements, unfortunetly) so I'm leaning towards either Fighter or Cleric (since he's been continually bathed in healing spells since his capture)... Is Thurm Thermax an option? I'm thinking his main motivation might eventually be to ascend, like Thurm, and "do it right", this time. :)

What about you, Leif? Any of the presented options tickle your fancy?

Stats: 3D6 = [4, 6, 4] = 14
3D6 = [2, 5, 2] = 9
3D6 = [3, 1, 4] = 8
3D6 = [4, 6, 6] = 16
3D6 = [3, 1, 6] = 10
3D6 = [5, 6, 3] = 14

Even now, negotiations could still be possible. After all you have 3 captive orcs as leverage, you've proven that you are powerful in your own right, and you could still potentially bring this to a conclusion that involves the remaining dwarves being returned alive.
It's up to Gargrim now, but that ship has sailed as far as I'm concerned.

[sblock=Opinions and such]In general, I think we understand what 'negotiating/bargaining' entails differently, I think. To me it means: high demand, followed by low counter offer (AKA opening positions); then bargain hard until you meet somewhere in the middle.

If you brought the goods, even a dozen axes, they'd give you some captives they didn't know what to do with anyhow. [...]

The Dwarven prisoner could have provided you with intelligence regarding the orcs forces, their defenses, their weaknesses, all sorts of stuff if you weren't negotiating in good faith and instead plan on mounting an armed rescue operation.
These two statements seem contradictory: setting 3 dwarfs free is no big deal to his defenses, but setting 1 dwarf free is potential disaster?

If giving over 12 axes over was really going to so completely convince them of the group's good faith, then asking for some sort of advance-in-kind/security for the first dwarf seems like a natural counter to me (Midgrim had already offered his own axe for him, after all). Breaking off negotiations while singing a chorus of "I am evil" and torturing people right in front of the party, joking about eating his prisoners alive.... Maybe not so much of a smart move if he knew anytghing about dwarven tempers?

I mean Midgrim even though that Rethar's demand of 15 axes was low to begin, but still chose to play hardball and aim for a better deal.
If you straight-agree to anything, they'll think they low-balled it and come back with demands for more.

<shrug> Plus, Midgrim was a dwarf. ;)

The fact that Midgrim did negotiate that first one down should have been a strong indication to Sigur that he was going to try to do the same against his much higher demands, I would have thought... That's sort of the whole point of doing it in the first place.

At this point Sigur was just flat out insulted and honestly believed that there was no way you were negotiating in good faith.
Insulted I can certainly understand (although Sigur's extreme reaction to that (unintended) insult sort of makes me doubt his own commitment to making a deal). The second bit doesn't quite click though. When you negotiate in bad faith, you can simply agree to whatever price the other wants, since you have no intention of paying anyway. You only negotiate hard when you *do* intend to pay.

If Sigur suspected foul play, he should have been, on the contrary, highly suspicious of any easy agreement to his demands (clearly, to his mind, designed to get him to release that one dwarf and his dangerous inside information (whatever that was)).

[Snip the rest]

In general, I'd say that it might be entirely justifiable and possible for Sigur to decide to throw the whole negotiations down the toilet on an imagined insult (You did get that Midgrim did not intend it to be an insult at all, right? That was his opening gambit in what he expected to be protracted, hardball negotiations). Same thing for that firebomb glyph to exist. The thing is, you control the world, so you can use the same logic to justify just about anything: dragons on the 1st level, suddenly collapsing ceilings, it's ALL possible, probable and/or 'realistic'... But it's just as easy to justify Sigur shattering that flask on the ground behind him to cover his exit in a wall of flames (no glyphs needed), or going for a lesser show of temper when 'insulted', if he really did want/need this deal. Going for the worst case outcome should be a last recourse, IMHO : these things are hard enough as it is.

Having Sigur cut-down Midgrim would have been entirely justifiable in my book (and actually expected/dreaded when he charged in). That would have been a good death, of his own choosing, battling senseless evil and defending his dwarven kin against the same. In comparison, planting a glyphed firebomb on an opponent that already outmatches the entire party, just so it can inevitably blow up in their faces in the unlikely event a 1st level party somehow DOES heroically defeat and/or rout/outmaneuver a 4th level boss... is a sad death, that cannot help but feel like an arbitrary punishment.

I hope you can see the difference.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Imperialus

Explorer
I like your idea of taking over for Vindar.

Seeing as how you are a single point off from being able to qualify for a Paladin I'd say that if you wanted to go that route you could drop one roll by two points and increase the 16 to a 17 before arranging the stats to suit the class. I'll PM you some of the details on Paladins in Dwimmermount since it might help you make up your mind.

Being a cleric of Thurm Thermax could be an option, however just as a warning they are Chaotic by nature. Within the 'lore' of Dwimmermount any attempts to achieve immortality both in the form of the Eld (to a lesser extent Elves) and the Thermaxians is an inherently chaotic act as it is such a fundamental alteration to the natural order of things that those who pursue it are inevitably twisted into power hungry shells of their former selves. It is certainly possible, I mean no one says you have to be the 'good guys' and it wouldn't necessarily have to be a sudden shift either but rather a slow corruption that might be interesting. Perhaps even moreso if you did play a Paladin.

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
So what are you going to do? Wait till we get to Muntburg and come in as an hireling/page?

any attempts to achieve immortality [...] is such a fundamental alteration to the natural order of things that those who pursue it are inevitably twisted into power hungry shells of their former selves.
That sounds exactly like something somebody who set up 'the natural order of things' would say. Let's try it and see! :devil:

Leif

Adventurer
Taking over Vindar The One-Handed, A/K/A "Lefty" seems to be just asking for complications. The hireling/page idea is no better, either. How about if I roll-up a new character and have him join the group for the next expedition into the dungeon? That way, I don't have a handicapped PC, and it complies to a rough degree at least, with the verisimilitude of the game.

Remove ads