• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

E-Tools and MS SQL Server

I was wondering if there are any resources out there discussing how to modify E-tools with SQL Server (if that is at all possible). If anyone has any knowledge of this or knows of any interesting links, I'd be grateful if you posted them.

Moreover, if it is not possible, I'd like to hear what possibilities do exist for modifying the software database.

-Zarrock

Enceladus

First Post
Zarrock said:
I was wondering if there are any resources out there discussing how to modify E-tools with SQL Server (if that is at all possible). If anyone has any knowledge of this or knows of any interesting links, I'd be grateful if you posted them.

Moreover, if it is not possible, I'd like to hear what possibilities do exist for modifying the software database.

-Zarrock

Good God man! What the heck were you planning on putting in there?!

Re: Re: E-Tools and MS SQL Server

Enceladus said:

Good God man! What the heck were you planning on putting in there?!

Nothing shocking I hope :eek: . But dependent on the structure (I haven't been able to study it yet), I thought it may be possible to expand upon the data in there - I was just looking for basic info before I use a lot of time studying it in detail myself. (which would be pointless if it's impossible).

-Zarrock

Enceladus

First Post
Only thing I can say is you'd have to import the access tables over to the SQL database and figure out a way to configure the ODBC drivers to get to it (don't ask me how) and once thats done get the program to use it.

I can see how this would be useful if you had a gigs worth of tables and generators, it would totally be epic in that you could generate a campaign from 1st to 20th :) but as far as getting that to work....

I can see this thread getting moved to software soon.

Fast Learner

First Post
Zarrock said:
Nothing shocking I hope :eek: . But dependent on the structure (I haven't been able to study it yet), I thought it may be possible to expand upon the data in there - I was just looking for basic info before I use a lot of time studying it in detail myself. (which would be pointless if it's impossible).
There's nothing you can't do in Access that you could do in SQL Server that is likely to apply to anything you'd want to legally do with E-Tools.

True, you can't add, say, triggers, and you don't have enterprise scaling, but pretty much everything you'd likely want is in Access.

Re: Re: E-Tools and MS SQL Server

Fast Learner said:

There's nothing you can't do in Access that you could do in SQL Server that is likely to apply to anything you'd want to legally do with E-Tools.

True, you can't add, say, triggers, and you don't have enterprise scaling, but pretty much everything you'd likely want is in Access.

Alright thanks :). I'll look into that (I may now opt to reinstall Access - even though I loathe its clumsiness).

-Zarrock

Remove ads