E6: The Game Inside D&D

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfpunk

First Post
Using those feats would you allow a caster of any type to have more slots of a higher level than the ones below it? For example 7 third level spells but only 6 first and 5 second level spells.

Ry

Explorer
wolfpunk said:
The Artificer class does seem to be a good fit for an E6 campaign. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quick questions, monsters are also limited to 6 class levels as well. Does this limit also apply to npc classes?

Actually, instead of limiting monsters to 6 classes, I typically limit their class-based advancement to CR 6. Once they're CR 6 I might add templates or monster hit dice but not "levels" per se. Does that answer your question?

Ry

Explorer
wolfpunk said:
Using those feats would you allow a caster of any type to have more slots of a higher level than the ones below it? For example 7 third level spells but only 6 first and 5 second level spells.

My initial reaction is to just say yes, you can be top-heavy. Do you think there should be an additional requirement like you describe?

Ry

Explorer
also, avr - they've been mentioned on other boards more than here, but incantations from UA are a perfect fit for this kind of campaign. I use them mostly in the background for things like the creation of more powerful undead than a 3rd-level spell can generate, or opening portals between ancient sites of power.

avr

First Post
Thanks, I missed that Restoration feat in the 1st post. It covers the commoner version of the problem (undead level drain), but not the cockatrice-in-the-face problem. Did the latter ever come up for you?

wolfpunk

First Post
Gotcha on the monster advancement, seems like it could work either way. I was just wondering if it was possible to create monsters by the same rules that would have a large number of feats.

I don't know that it is a problem, would probably have to play it to find out, it just doesn't exist as an option at the moment, unless you use a point based magic system.

Ry

Explorer
Oh, absolutely. Hose monsters down with feats. That old crafty dragon? Crack open the Draconomicon and grab feats like candy.

Ry

Explorer
avr said:
Thanks, I missed that Restoration feat in the 1st post. It covers the commoner version of the problem (undead level drain), but not the cockatrice-in-the-face problem. Did the latter ever come up for you?

Didn't come up in my campaign, but I'd just do the exact same thing; allow a feat that fixed it. I'd probably make it an arcane caster thing, though - Alchemy plus transmutation spells as a prerequisite.

wolfpunk

First Post
So lets say I start with a CR 6 creature, I then add four feats to it, would you consider this to be a CR 7 creature, obviously I am asking for an approximation. Would another four feats make it a CR 8?

Ry

Explorer
I'd ballpark it at about 5, but keep in mind that just like in D&D certain abilities can be unexpectedly devestating; don't be afraid to peg a CR differently depending on what you see. Another great way to compare is to look at the CR change of templates that do a similar thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads