Eadric et. al. (The Paladin and his Friends).

Another (tough) CR 30 fiend.

Azazel is based on a trumpet archon built with the elite array, advanced to 24 HD, exalted, and then cast down. Maybe he's a little 'less fallen' than other fiends - he has remained truer to the original philosophical impetus behind the Great Revolt. He retains a kind of corrupt nobility.

His synergy with the standard is what makes him really dangerous.

AZAZEL (Standard Bearer of Hell)

Large Outsider (Evil, Extraplanar, Lawful, Baatezu)
Hit Dice: 24d8 +288 (480hp)
Initiative: +11
Speed: 60 ft., fly 180 ft. (perfect)
Armour Class: 62 (-1 Size, +10 Armour, +9 Deflection, +5 Dex, +13 insight, +16 natural), touch 36, flat-footed 53
Base Attack/Grapple: +28/+54
Attack: large +6 speed unholy longword +55 melee (2d6+19/17-20)
Full Attack: large +6 speed unholy longsword +55/+55/+50/+45/+40 melee (2d6+19/17-20)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities, spells
Special Qualities: Aura of menace, attunement, damage reduction 20 / good and epic and silver, darkvision 60 ft., execrated power, fast healing 12, low-light vision, immunity to acid, cold, disease, electricity, fire, petrification, poison and sonics, magic circle against good, rebuke undead, regeneration 12, smite good, spell resistance 45, telepathy 100 ft.
Saves: Fort +26, Ref +21, Will +27
Abilities: Str 37, Dex 25, Con 35, Int 25, Wis 36, Cha 29
Skills: Concentration +39, Diplomacy +48, Escape Artist +35, Gather Information +36, Intimidate +27, Knowledge (Arcana) +34, Knowledge (History) +34, Knowledge (Nobility) +34, Knowledge (Religion) +34, Knowledge (The Planes) +34, Listen +40, Search +34, Sense Motive +40, Spellcraft +38, Spot +40
Feats: Cleave, Dodge, Empower Spell, Great Cleave, Improved Critical (Longsword), Improved Initiative, Improved Sunder, Mobility, Power Attack, Quicken Spell, Planar Turning.

Environment: Nine Hells
Organization: Solitary or Azazel plus 4 pit fiends and 8 erinyes
Challenge Rating: 30
Treasure: Quadruple Standard
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Advancement:
Level Adjustment:

Spells: Azazel spontaneously casts spells as a 22nd level Cleric with access to the Evil, Diabolic, Tyranny and War domains. He foregoes the need to use divine foci in his spellcasting, and need not use material components if the value is less than 1000gp. He is considered to have an XP cushion of 15,000 XP/week when casting spells which have an experience point component.

Attunement (Sp): Azazel can commune with his master as a move action.

Spell-Like Abilities: At will – detect good, continual flame, greater teleport, message, plane shift, tongues. Caster level 24th.

Rebuke Undead (Su): Fifteen times per day, Azazel may rebuke undead as a 24th level Cleric. He gains +4 on his turning check due to 25+ ranks in Knowledge (religion). Azazel may also turn good outsiders and rebuke evil outsiders: treat each as having turn resistance equal to one half their SR, rounded down,

Aura of Menace (Su): A profane aura surrounds Azazel when he fights or gets angry. Hostile creatures within 20 feet must make a Will save (DC 41) or take a –2
penalty to attacks, AC and saves until they successfully hit Azazel. A creature that has resisted or broken the effect cannot be effected again by Azazel's aura for 24 hours.

Magic Circle Against Good (Su): A magic circle against good always surrounds Azazel (caster level 24th).

Smite Good (Su): Nine times per day Azazel may attempt to smite good with a normal melee attack. He adds +9 to his attack roll and deals an extra 24 points of damage if successful.

Execrated Power: All variable numeric damage-dealing spell-like abilities and spells used by Azazel are considered Empowered. Furthermore, this extra damage is considered unholy damage.

Tongues (Su): Azazel can speak with any creature that has a language as though using a tongues spell (caster level 24th).

Possessions: Azazel wears a +5 heavy fortification mithril breastplate. In his left hand, he bears the Sword of Azazel. When acting in his official capacity, in his right he bears the Standard of Hell.

Sword of Azazel: Large +6 speed unholy longsword; AL LE; Int 5, Wis 21, Cha 35; Empathy, 60 ft. vision and hearing, Ego score 37.
Languages: The Sword of Azazel understands Infernal and Celestial.
Lesser Powers: Wielder has free use of Uncanny Dodge (as a 5th level barbarian) and Evasion.
Awesome Power: astral projection (wielder only) at will.
Special Purpose: Slay good outsiders.
Special Purpose Power: destruction (heightened to 12th level, DC 34) upon those it strikes. This ability is used at the 30th level of spellcasting power.

The Sword of Azazel is a major artifact.

The Standard of Hell

The Standard of Hell is a paradigmatic artifact which grants a +4 morale bonus to the armour class, attack rolls and saving throws of all devils within eyesight of the banner and imposes a similar –4 morale penalty to all celestials within view. When firmly grasped, the Standard of Hell confers a +10 profane bonus to all attacks, damage rolls and saving throws, and spell resistance 80 to the holder. If the bearer of the Standard of Hell is a lawful evil outsider with the Planar Turning ability, he or she may rebuke or command up to 500 HD of evil outsiders, or turn or destroy up to 500 HD of chaotic or good outsiders as a 50th level Cleric. If the targets of this ability are both chaotic and evil, the bearer of the Standard of Hell may choose which function to apply. In all cases, the effective turn resistance possessed by outsiders is not effective against the Standard of Hell.

Creatures of nonevil or nonlawful alignment and less than 6 divine ranks who touch the Standard of Hell must succeed at a DC 50 Fortitude save or be extinguished by the Standard. This saving throw must be repeated every round that the Standard of Hell is grasped: each round the DC increases by +1. Creatures slain in this manner can only be resurrected or reincarnated by the direct intervention of a deity with the supreme portfolio and the life and death salient divine ability.

Last edited:

grodog

Hero
Thanks for sharing these, Sep! Two quick comments:

On Rhyxali, if you're interested, I've got a large document of shadow-related magics (some of which appeared in Relics & Rituals 1); I'd be happy to send you a copy.

Creatures slain in this manner can only be resurrected or reincarnated by the direct intervention of a deity with the supreme portfolio [empahsis grodog] and the life and death salient divine ability.

Supreme portfolio? Is that part of Oronthon's stats? Can more than one god hold the supreme portfolio? If a god doesn't have the supreme portfolio, how can it be gained? (Comments you've made about Oronthon suggest that he rose from a more minor deity into his present, supreme state, and that he has rewritten/redefined/reCreated (capital intentional) history to suit his requirements). Given your prefatory comments in the Ninit post, I'm slightly surprised that such a thing exists, although it does obviously fit with the Oronthon world-view/paradigm.

Last edited:

Noir

Explorer
Can you tell us anything more about Mostin mentor, Sep? Has Mostin surpassed his level of power and understanding just before he disappeared in the Far Realm? Heck, I want to know more about all of the Far Realm in your cosmology. Any more entities? Are there any more alienists or outsiders interested in the far Realms know? Anything is of interest.

grodog said:
On Rhyxali, if you're interested, I've got a large document of shadow-related magics (some of which appeared in Relics & Rituals 1); I'd be happy to send you a copy.

I am very interested in that document of your. Please send me a copy?
voluran@hotmail.com

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
re

Sep,

Shouldn't the Hunt domain grant Survival instead of Ride? Survival seems to be the skill most associated with tracking and surviving for long periods in the wild.

Greybar

No Trouble at All
Shouldn't the Hunt domain grant Survival instead of Ride? Survival seems to be the skill most associated with tracking and surviving for long periods in the wild.

But she is the Huntress and the Rider. Hunt != "tracking and surviving for long periods in the wild" if your culture does it's hunting from horseback...

john

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Greybar said:
But she is the Huntress and the Rider. Hunt != "tracking and surviving for long periods in the wild" if your culture does it's hunting from horseback...

john

Considering that Cleric's don't get the Survival skill, I just thought it might be a more appropriate skill than one of the others for a Hunt domain. Then a cleric could take the Track feat and not have to spend double the normal number of points to be an effective tracker. I'm not sure if Sep plays tracking differently in his world, but by core rules a truly good hunter would need the Survival skill unless they only hunted prey on the open plains in herds.

It's cool idea for a domain. Just thought Survival would be a more appropriate skill for simulating hunting, but if Ride fits better, then so be it.

Lela

First Post
Greybar said:

john

Yes, but wouldn't that be the Ride domain, or some such, rather than the Hunt domain? Any effective hunter absolutely must have Survival, whether they hunt from horse, griffin, ankeg, or on their own two feet.

Noobfier

First Post
Soneillon only CR 26!?

After reading the threads in story hour, I was surprised to find that Soneillon was only CR 26, although she appears to be stronger than Ainhorr and other CR 26 creatures (Like King Irknaan - CR 28) O.O

Anyways, great work Sep, hope to see updates in both your rogue's gallery thread and your story hour thread soon. Your story is much better than most of the fantasy novels I read :D

Moleculo

First Post
You'd think that, but all you have to remember is that even though she is an epic level caster, she doesn't have a lot of hps in comparison. I bet eadric was close to slaying her when he smote her, and he isn't all that high of a CR either. (OR IS HE? coughupdatepcsheetscough sorryi have a cold)

Remove ads