Eberron: Forging Fury [Full and Live]

Kerrz

First Post
Bront: Go ahead with that. It's ridiculous... but we can deal with ridiculous as long as it's fair. That's why I allowed everyone the chance. Besides... there is nothing more ridiculous than a warforged bard - so he might as well be a SKILLED warforged bard..

Shaggy: You rolled a 13 and an 11, failing your first attempt. You rolled a 6 and an 8, failing your second attempt. You rolled two 7s for your third attempt. My dice must hate you.

Amy: Work up a character. I'm willing to accept a fifth, simply because I'm sure someone is going to bail out sooner or later.

That makes the cast of characters up to be:
Ringmereth - Warforged Necromancer
d'Anconia - Warforged Paladin of the Silver Flame
Bront - Warforged Bard
ShaggySpellsword - Warforged Artificer
Amy Kou'Ai - Warforged Mystery (To be determined later)

That closes up the ranks, from now on we'll be accepting a couple alts if folks are interested, otherwise we're good to go. Get your characters in as soon as possible and I'll go over them.

Bront

The man with the probe
Ahh, I missed d'Anconia.

Thanks Kerrz. I did it fair for all to see, just in case it got rediculous :)

Timeboxer

Explorer
Well, there's that post that says, "If Bront wants in, we're good to go"... Also I think between a Warforged paladin, wizard, artificer, and bard, I may be a bit out of ideas. ^.^;

Though, things I can think of offhand might be a Warforged cleric of the mystical and insightful sort, or a Warforged psion who's a prototype model, created because House Cannith (or someone) was influenced through some Dreaming Dark corruption.

Kerrz

First Post
I must warn you, I have no idea how to use psionics, nor do I really have much interest in them.

You're free to make whatever choice you want, I'm just warning you that I will probably screw up alot if you choose to go that way. Then again, I will probably screw up alot anyway.

Bront

The man with the probe
I just started dealing with Psionics myself. A Psi-Warrior doesn't have enough powers to get into a lot of rules trouble, and in general, the powers aren't too bad.

Since you can always look up the power at www.d20srd.org or in any SRD, it's not as hard to deal with as it could be.

And don't worry about screwing up. We'll be here, like vultures, poised to ridicule you to no end when you do. :)

Timeboxer

Explorer
Well, to be honest, I'm somewhat disinclined to play a manifester if the GM isn't interested in them -- it really requires GM cooperation to be interesting, rather than just having you be a slightly more powerful caster who has no access to usable items.

I'd also like to play a warforged artificer who eventually becomes a Spellcarved Soldier, but I think that probably two artificers are enough... hmm.

d'Anconia

Explorer
Just to give a few quick notes on how I see my character background emerging. I'm not sure what the official stance of the Silver Flame church is on Warforged is, but if it's ok with Kerrz, here I was thinking something along the lines of the following (keep in mind this may contradict the ECS, I was just thinking about it at work today):

The church does not think highly of Warforged. In fact, the church, until recently, did not have an official position on Warforged, but many in the hierarchy held the view, shared by much of the populace, that warforged are not people, but very advanced machines. The reason that there had been no official position by the church is that there have never been warforged interested in the clergy, and any scattering of ‘forged worshippers that the Silver Flame attracts are undoubtedly viewed by the hierarchy with bemused resignation, but not with any type of hostility. Although this hasn’t been too much of a problem, as the number of their warforged worshippers can probably be counted on one hand.

You can imagine, therefore, the consternation that greeted the arrival of Flame (my character) in (the big temple of the Silver Flame in Thrane – I don’t have my books for reference right now) claiming to have received a vision from the voice within the flame telling him that he was called to be a Paladin. The attending priest politely (if rather nervously) asked the ‘forged to wait in the temple, as he went and consulted with his superiors. So, Flame waited. And waited. And waited. Finally, after 5 days of rushed meeting between the hierarchy, during which Flame sat in unending prayer (attracting quite a gathering of curious onlookers in the process), he was told by the hierarchy that he must be mistaken, because Warforged just cannot become priest or paladins because, quite simply, they are machines. After a few minutes of resigned protestation (Flame had encountered this sort of bigotry before),

Flame left, with his head hung low. How could this have happened? Hadn’t the flame spoken to him, telling him this was his destiny? Was he mistaken? He had thought this was his purpose in life, a purpose he had lacked since the day he came out of the forges. As one of the last to be forged, Flame had never seen combat. In fact, before he was even 3 months into his training by the Canniths, the Thronehold treaties were signed and he was freed. Free, but with no understanding of what was occurring. So, he worked several odd jobs for a while, trying to come to terms with a life he was never intended to lead. And then, the vision. What a glorious thing! He finally had purpose to his life, granted he didn’t know much about the Church of the Silver Flame at first, but he learned. He spent days talking with a local priest, who was slightly bewildered, but generally accepting of Flame – completely unlike his colleagues in Thrane.

So you can imagine the emotional turmoil that enveloped him as he began to make his way back to Sharn. His purpose, his hope for something greater had been, quite unexpectedly, yanked from him. However, halfway home, he had another vision. In this vision, the flame told him to ignore the hierarchy. Her power would be manifest through him for all to see. One day, she promised. One day the entire church will see warforged no differently than they see humans or elves or any other race. An he, Flame, was to be one of the people who opened the eyes of the world to the reality of the warforged.

So, when Flame received the summons from Juarin, he was hungry to begin fulfilling his destiny. He hoped that he would encounter other forged who felt the same.

(How's that sound, Kerr? if it's to big a departure from the ECS for you, just let me know and I'll work up somthing else)

Ringmereth

First Post
In light of Bront's absolutely insane roll, I think I'll go for the latter set of stats, with the justification of playing a wizard, who would have some difficulties getting by with a 14 Int. My character sheet shall follow shortly.

Kerrz

First Post
The Official Stance on Warforged and the Flame:

From http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebds/20050711a
Keith Baker said:
The Silver Flame: The Church of the Silver Flame has much to offer the warforged. The Flame itself is not an anthropomorphic deity, and it is not supposed to have created or shaped human civilization. Instead, it can guide a warrior and empower her in the battle against evil. Warforged that fear death may take comfort in the concept of immortality through the Flame, since noble souls are said to bond with the Flame after death. Most importantly, the church is a militant order, and for the warforged soldier who feels lost without a war, the Church of the Silver Flame offers an anchor and a chance to take part in a battle that will never end -- the struggle against evil itself.

Many in the church still feel that the warforged do not have souls and are not the equals of the true servants of the Flame. However, as more warforged join the church, cardinals, ministers, and templars alike are being impressed with the dedication and good works performed by these tireless servants of the light.

So to sum it up: You were close... but your character is too young to be treated that way. Undoubtedly Thrane would have bought Warforged for the war effort. Some of them would have followed the example of the other soldiers and begun to believe in the Flame. Some other Warforged would have come to the calling during the war. Your character is not that old. So you can either make him older, and have served in the war, or you can make him get shut out by the lower, pigheaded clergy, but after travelling to Flamekeep the clergy accept him into the church on a probationary basis.

This is why I asked you folks to read the Dragonshards articles. They're really really handy, and I consider them Canon.

Remove ads