• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Eberron] The Forgotten Forge

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
Plonk, Rawhide: Plonk drops a torch into the room. It lands on a stone floor in the midst of a pile of rubble — the debris is a mix of stone and wood, with what appears to be a metal shape pinned underneath it. You can make out some dusty shelves on the southern wall and what appears to be some sort of forge/furnace combination in the east. Otherwise, the room is dark.

Rawhide: When you jump in [Tumble check, roll of 18 on d20, +6 skilled, total 24, success, allows Rawhide to ignore first 10 feet of falling, converts other 10 feet to nonlethal damage; 4 hp nonlethal damage], you see a pair of metal eyes moving towards you from the darkness.

Plonk: You don't land gracefully, but you don't hurt yourself badly either [Jump check, roll of 14, -1 Str, total 13, +3 action point, total 16; 3 nonlethal damage]. A pair of metal eyes moves towards you from the darkness.

Initiative
Plonk 20, Rawhide 8a, Flawed 8b, Gannon 7, iron dogs 3

OOC: Actions from everyone for the next three rounds...

[sblock]OOC: Hey, folks. Y'all have action points, you know — 5 of them, to be precise, which you can use to add 1d6 to any roll of a d20. I'm also going to use a variant rule from Bad Axe Game's Grim Tales — these are exploding action dice — if you roll a 6, you keep on rolling, adding the total to your d20 roll... At 2nd level, you'll get 6 AP, but you'll lose all of your 1st level APs. Anyhow, I added one to Plonk's Jump check as I didn't really feel like knocking him out of his gourd again right yet. So, I guess what I'm saying, is feel free to use them. There are three other ways to use them, which I'll list here:
  • 2 AP get you an extra use of an ability such as rage, turn undead, smite evil, and so on.
  • 1 AP allows an artificier to hasten an infusion (cast it in one round).
  • 1 AP allows a character to stabilize.
Anyhow, that should help things get a little bit more of that swashbuckling vibe. And, if MadMaxim likes, possibly allow Gannon to climb the wall (although he'll have to roll and can only use 1 AP per roll). ;)
[/sblock]

Knight Otu

First Post
[sblock]Yeah, I kind of forgot them, but I did plan to use one before reading your sblock :D[/sblock]
Unaware that a fight will start soon, Flawed will wait for the door to open first. Once it becomes aware that a combat is happening, Flawed will climb up as well, using an action point.
If it can see from and keep at the hole, it will cast true strike and fire its crossbow from above. Otherwise, it jumps down as well.

Ashy

First Post
Until attacked, Rawhide will grab the torch and move to the door. He will also yell out, "Hey Boss! Der's some eyeballs down here!"

Once attacked, he will do the shifter shuffle (shift, rage, attack - cha-cha-cha!), if able, using his battleaxe. Whatever is going on, he will keep on yelling out details. I.e., "Ouch! Mes stumped mes toe on this pile o' shiny rocks, Boss!", or "Hey! Look, a big black lizard wit its mouth on fire!", etc, etc...

MadMaxim

First Post
Unaware of the combat, Gannon waits for the door to be opened. If he hears Rawhide, he'll try to get up the wall once again (using action points, though seriously hate to spend them on skill checks that I'm almost certainly going to fail... ;) ). If he gets in, he will start attacking whatever threatens the party with his morningstar (he has no combat spells left, after all...).

Krug

Newshound
Plonk takes out his crossbow and shoots at the dogs, trying to stay as close to Rawhide as possible. He tries to act brave, but that's not quite his priority as much as staying alive.

Old Fezziwig

Round 1
Initiative: Plonk 20, Rawhide 8a, Flawed 8b, Gannon 7, iron dogs 3

Plonk draws his crossbow and pulls the trigger, but the mechanism has jammed. The gnome spends the rest of the round trying to unstick the trigger [ranged attack, natural 1 on d20, automatic failure]. Meanwhile, Rawhide yells out to Gannon, "Hey Boss! Der's some eyeballs down here!" as he grabs the torch and heads towards the door.

Gannon and Flawed wait outside for the door to be opened.

The two iron dogs attack the shifter, both hitting, one grazing Rawhide's left arm, the other rends open his stomach [16 hp damage]. He yells in pain and falls to the ground, unconscious and bleeding heavily.

Conditions
Flawed 7/7 hp
Gannon 5/9 hp
Plonk 6/7 hp
Rawhide -3/13 hp (Unconscious)

[sblock]OOC: And we pause as the situation changes dramatically. I'd like to find out what Plonk will do before I move along.[/sblock]

Krug

Newshound
Dumping his crossbow, Plonk runs over and tries to open the door. He's shaking like a leaf, and thinks that repairing watches doesn't sound so bad now... He'll use an action point to dodge past the dogs and another one to open the door, if necessary.

Old Fezziwig

Round 2
Initiative: Plonk 20, (Rawhide 8a), Flawed 8b, Gannon 7, iron dogs 3

Plonk cleverly rolls past the iron dogs and towards the door [Dexterity check, roll of 5 on d20, +1 Dex, +6 on action die, +6 on 2nd die, +6 on 3rd die, +2 on 4th die, total 26, success]. You look at the door. It's locked here, too, so you start to see if you can't work the lock a bit [Open Lock check, roll of 20 on d20, automatic success]. You're not sure if it's luck or chance, but you roll one of the tumblers over just a bit, adjust another, and jam the third, and the sucker pops open. So much for magic locks.

Gannon, Flawed: The doors snap open to reveal Plonk and two iron dogs inside an old forge. Rawhide lies on the ground, bleeding and unconscious, just beyond the dogs.

Conditions
Flawed 7/7 hp
Gannon 5/9 hp
Plonk 6/7 hp, 3/5 AP
Rawhide -3/13 hp (unconscious)

[sblock]OOC: And that's what we call an exploding action die — at the Boston Game Day, CarlZog rolled something like five 6s followed by a 5 for healing (in GT, you can use them for healing). And, apparently, my dice don't only roll natural 20s for me (that DC was sick high, but a 20's a 20 and y'all are heroes, so...). Good times. And we pause again in the middle of round 2 to allow Knight Otu and MadMaxim a chance to change previously stated actions...

OOC for Ashy: Did you want to use an AP to stabilize Rawhide if he doesn't get healed?[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads