• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Eberron] What Craft Choices Should an Artificer make?

Denaes

First Post
I don't have my 3.0 books with me, just d20SRD.org and the Eberron Campaign Setting.

d20SRD.org doesn't mention any suggestions for Craft.

Eberron just makes mention of you having to have the proper craft skill or hiring someone out to make the item and you enchant it.

Weapons --> Weaponsmith
Armour --> Armourcraft/smith
poisons --> Alchemy

Do I need Alchemy to make potions?

What would making a Ring or good quality box fall under? Boots?

How about a Hermeculi? The monster section of Eberron mentions creation and just says that if the Artificer can't make them, the Artificer has to have someone else make them. I want to make them.

In Eberron, is there like a craft mechanics/clockwork skills... what would a clock be made under? Something else that seems kinda gizmoish?

Any help with this would be grand! Thank You :)

Poisons go under Craft (Poisonmaking).

You don't need alchemy to make potions; you just need the Brew Potion feat. Alchemy will let you make things like thunderstones, alchemist's fire, and smokesticks.

A magic ring would fall under Forge Ring. A nonmagical ring would fall under Craft (Jeweler). A good quality box would be (Woodworking) or (Carpentry). Boots are likely under (Leatherwork) or (Cobbler) if you want to make them out of something other than leather.

A homunculus generally states what's required to make it. Usually, it's something like Craft (Pottery) for a clay-based hom, or Craft (Armorsmith or Blacksmith) for a metallic hom.

For instance, the base Monster Manual homunculus requires:

SRD said:
The materials cost 50 gp. The creature’s master may assemble the body or hire someone else to do the job. Creating the body requires a DC 12 Craft (sculpting) check or a DC 12 Craft (pottery) check.

The other homunculi in the ECS will tell you what's required in order to make them (I think the Iron Defender - the dog-shaped one - requires Blacksmith or Armorsmith).

For mechanics / clockwork, I'd imagine Craft (Clockwork) would work - but ask your DM. ;)

Denaes

First Post
Ok, thanks for putting that out there.

For the Hermuculi (in the ECS book) there was a basic Hermuculi stat block and then a breakdown by specific type. I must have been reading the basic block.

For rings, you say that Forge Ring is required for magic rings, but isn't Craft: Jewlry also needed? You still need to have a masterwork ring... so you have to make or buy it. Same with swords, armour & hermuculi. Forge Ring doesn't give you an automatic freebie in making a ring, does it?

I figure for the most part, it'll be relatively easier in a city setting to buy a nice non-magic weapon/armour than have a Hermuculi body built.

Well this is enough to start my 1st level character off, thank you :)

Denaes said:
For rings, you say that Forge Ring is required for magic rings, but isn't Craft: Jewlry also needed? You still need to have a masterwork ring...

No, you don't. This is a common misconception, however, among many DMs. The only magical items that require a masterwork base part are armor and weapons. Anything else is subsumed in the magic item creation cost.

Homunculi don't require masterwork base pieces; they require a body, which takes a certain amount of skill to make, but it isn't masterwork.

I figure for the most part, it'll be relatively easier in a city setting to buy a nice non-magic weapon/armour than have a Hermuculi body built.

It'll probably be pretty easy to get both; after all, potters, blacksmith, and weapon / armorsmiths are pretty common. Glassblowers are a lot more rare, but you probably won't need one to make a homunculus.

Well this is enough to start my 1st level character off, thank you :)

Welcome!

Remove ads