D&D 5E EB's House of Randomness - A PotA Campaign (1 brave soul found/FULL)

Three clerics (all with heavy armor domains), two rogues
Two soldiers, a sailor, a guild artisan, and an outlander
A human, halfling, tiefling, elf, and a blue dragonborn

A fine party we make.

tglassy

Adventurer
Diverse of race, not of class. But it can work.

My guy’s a Pirate, a Captain, as it were. At least, he fancies himself one, and my have even been one. I’m going to be channeling Jack Sparrow something fierce.

Sent from my iPad using EN World

EarlyBird

Explorer
What is the campaign world? Generic? WoG? FR? and where in those places does the game start. I know it probably has no bearing on the adventure but it makes backgrounds easier to deal with. Oh, and do you have a former Rank for my soldier?

Forgotten Realms - Who all has played this Adventure path? I will be helping more with the area and backgrounds/hooks after the holidays. You need to decide if you are active, reserve, retired, etc. etc. I think you might have served in the guard for Goldenfields, or you were in the army during an orc invasion, there are lots of directions. We will work on it to fit how you see your character.

Pirate. I’m totally making a Pirate. Any chance of making a Feral Tiefling, from the Sword Coast Guide? I did roll a 78 on subrace, and +2 Dex might work better for my concept than +2 Cha. Though I could make either work.

That is awesome as the Dessarin River floats right down the center of the main area the game takes place in. Think larger Mississippi with plenty of smugglers, slavers, and pirates. One who may become a rival of yours. There are four traits so a 25% chance at each your roll would actually get you Winged (which I support wholeheartedly), also I think you may like a high CHA 14-16 if you wish to be a Captain and have a crew, which I think would be possible.

I certainly will role play him differently.
But mechanically, options will look similar

I think you may be right there unless you take and go full-skill monkey, High INT/WIS and let your combat skills lack a little. As I though of a rogue scout guild artisan, I thought your character could be an archaeologist, or maybe on his death bed an archaeologist gave you clues to a rich treasure. You don't scout per se to guide/track you are just more comfortable in the wilds.

Ok think I have everything from the other thread now to answer questions here.

EarlyBird

Explorer
So, multiclassing? Cause a Tempus Cleric/Storm Sorcerer might be awesome.

Sent from my iPad using EN World

There are a couple ways multiclassing could be dealt with:
1) Just flat out no, since it takes away from the random class aspect of the game.
2) Just flat out allow it, although in a way that also takes away from the random class aspect of the game
3) Only after you reach subclass level, so great for cleric who subclass at 1st level, not as good for rogues who subclass at 3rd level
4) And allow it with restrictions: no dipping, all classes must stay within one level of one another. Thus you can't just dump your random class and be something else.

4 was my first thought. Not sure there is a best solution.

So an interesting party that healing is covered heavily (one cleric may need not take healing spells and go more support? bless,aid, etc), And we have some damage output with two rogues, one to be an assassin for added possible crits - those poor cultist - lol

So here is my thought (and remember your characters aren't in stone yet) - When a player wishes to multiclass we could roll it random as well. We take all the possible classes he could become and roll for one of them. Thus you can "set the stats" as it were that your choices are limited. Also with this the concept would be yours to chose that way it may be more compatible with your current class.

Example: Our Tiefling Pirate
DEX 16 and CHA 16

So he could be
1-2 Bard (College of Swords?)
3-4 Rogue (Swashbuckler what else lol)
5-6 Sorcerer (Tempest)
7-8 Warlock (Hexblade)

All great choices and it adds to the random fun.

I also like the keeping the classes within one level of each other, which in turn will make sure you achieve your random rolled concept.

Other ideals questions?

tglassy

Adventurer
EB's House of Randomness - A PotA Campaign (1 brave soul needed)

I’ll be multiclassing, then. Winged is fantabulous, but it negates the Tempest Cleric’s capstone, free-willed flight. It has some limitations, and isn’t as cool as flying like Superman, but it works.

Because Tieflings are probably the worst Clerics in that their stat boosts are for dump stats, his wisdom will be a little lower to start out. I’d rather use the 16 for a combat stat, or for Charisma to get an 18. That would make for a great Hexblade, as Cha would be his combat stat.

After further consideration, he’s probably best served as a Dex build. He’s missing out on Barbarian and Paladin, and that’s not a bad thing. That means his choices are:

1. Bard
2. Druid
3. Fighter
4. Monk
5. Ranger
6. Rogue
7. Sorcerer
8. Warlock

Could I just roll a D8 now to determine which one I get?

To save posts, I’ll assume the answer is yes, and if not, we can ignore this roll. This will allow me to distribute stats correctly, as I’ll be multiclassing at level 2 basically just go back and forth. My main problem is where to put the 16. If I get Hexblade, it’ll be Cha. Otherwise it’ll likely be Dex.

[roll0]

Storm Sorcerer is it! Not sure how I’m going to play this. The roll play is wonderful. The mechanics...I’ll have to think about it. Unless you would rather we roll for class when the time comes to level up?

(*thinking out lout* Of course, a Str build only has 7 classes to choose from, which would make that roll be for Warlock...)

Last edited:

EarlyBird

Explorer
I’ll be multiclassing, then. Winged is fantabulous, but it negates the Tempest Cleric’s capstone, free-willed flight. It has some limitations, and isn’t as cool as flying like Superman, but it works.

After further consideration, he’s probably best served as a Dex build. He’s missing out on Barbarian and Paladin, and that’s not a bad thing. That means his choices are:

1. Bard
2. Druid
3. Fighter
4. Monk
5. Ranger
6. Rogue
7. Sorcerer
8. Warlock

Storm Sorcerer is it!

Congrats. Really you should have your stats set before making the roll, it would be the only way to truly know what your options are. You need not have a high wisdom if most of your spells you go with don't have saves. Use cleric for def/boost and sorcerer for blasting monsters.

Don't have my book on me but I think that makes me a Quartermaster.

Correct, was your character trying to become a fence at first? As with jmucchiello's character you will need to think on are you reserve, active, retired, wounded and then discharged? But I like that you could be good judge of equipment and if it is usable or not.

EB, may I swap my Musical Instrument proficiency (from the Outlander background) for Woodcarver's tools?

I see no problems if it helps with RPIng the character, I have wonder why Outlander gets a musical instrument and not some other outdoor-like proficiency - cooking utensil's or cartography, leatherworking even, for skinning pelts. Go ahead and if anyone else sees something just not fitting they should let me know.

This game will be played REL-AXED lol

Remove ads