EB's Tyranny of Dragons - OOC (full)

EarlyBird

Explorer

Of course, I'll never roll the required minimums: 15s in Str, Dex, Wis, and Cha, 12 in Int and 10 in Con; unless there's method V array for Bard:
str 8d6, int 5d6, wis 8d6, dex 8d6, con 8d6, cha 4d6. Perhaps a bit ridiculous even though the bard is probably suboptimal over all. Oh well. Back to ftr-mu or some such.

Are we rolling for psionics? :) A psionic bard would be awesome. :)

You may use whatever Method you wish to. ANd yes the possiblilty of getting psionics is small so characters can try, you never know.

tglassy

Adventurer
I know little to nothing about 1e. What does Rolling for Psionics mean? How does character creation work? I might be interested...

Sent from my iPad using EN World

You roll percentile dice and try to get 100. For each point of INT above 16, add 2.5%, WIS above 16 adds 1.5% per, CHA above 16 adds .5% per. (round down at the end)

If successful, you gain attack, defense and disciplines based on other d100 rolls in appendix A of the PHB. Without the PHB it would be hard to work with.

That reminds me, EB, method V assumes there is comeliness. Are we using comeliness?

EarlyBird

Explorer
Here is my take on Milestone XP for this:

[sblock=Experience]
Base XP/Chapter
1 - 1,500
2 - 3,000
3 - 6,000
4 - 12,000
5 - 24,000
6 - 48,000
7 - 96,000
8 - 192,000
9 - 350,000
10 - 500,000
11 - 725,000
12 - 975,000
13 - 1,250,000
14 - 1,550,000
15 - 1,875,000
16 - 2,125,000
17 - 2,500,000[/sblock]

Thinking it will work like this. At the end of each chapter your base XP raises to the xp listed for that chapter. They are not added together, this is a starting point and then you add in any additional xp you may have earned during the game. This could be your +10% bonus, RP rewards, special DM stuff for a great post, playing in character even when it sucks for the group, etc. etc.

The base is divided between all classes you have if multi and then the additional xp can be divided up anyway you chose to this. Except if one class grants +10% while another doesn't (that sort of thing).

Let me know what you think. For now I think this will work.

EarlyBird

Explorer
I know little to nothing about 1e. What does Rolling for Psionics mean? How does character creation work? I might be interested...

Sent from my iPad using EN World

You could tell me the type of character you are looking to play, and from there I can tell you what rolls to make. There are many choices outside of class/race no skills, feats, or things like that.

Here is my take on Milestone XP for this:

Thinking it will work like this. At the end of each chapter your base XP raises to the xp listed for that chapter. They are not added together, this is a starting point and then you add in any additional xp you may have earned during the game. This could be your +10% bonus, RP rewards, special DM stuff for a great post, playing in character even when it sucks for the group, etc. etc.

The base is divided between all classes you have if multi and then the additional xp can be divided up anyway you chose to this. Except if one class grants +10% while another doesn't (that sort of thing).

Let me know what you think. For now I think this will work.

Again, it might be a problem for dual class humans (or bard), For my bard, I intend to get to ftr7 and thief8. Ignoring the 10% bonus and other rewards, the character stops ftr with 96000 xp (wasting 26000xp) at the end of chapter 7 and switches to thief for chapter 8, does he just dump the 96000 xp gained into thief and immediately jump from level 1 to level 8? Then he only needs 14000 to jump to bard? Getting 158000 in a lump from chapter 9 is again inconvenient. He should have been a bard for nearly 144000 of those xp. That's 10 levels of bard missed out on heading into chapter 10. And if you go by the rule that doesn't allow you to jump more than one level per rest period, it means wasting tons of xp leveling far to slowly.

I don't know how the adventure is designed. But if there are acts inside each chapter, splitting up the rewards by acts will be more 1e-like. The magic user and fighter will spend all of chapter 1 and 2 at 1st level. The thief will jump to level 3 when they finally get to level 2.

Oh, and I finally figure out method V. Method V gives you 42 dice distributed as 9d6, 8d6, 7d6, 6d6, 5d6, 4d6, 3d6. So, if you want a bard, just go 6d6 x7 and allow reshuffle. Still difficult to get really high stats. But hey, you need 4 15s. (and who knows what the minimum comeliness value should be? :) )

EarlyBird

Explorer
I was thinking of dual class characters last night and wonder if the chop pff point could be deducted from the base XP, normally you lose the extra anyway. But then you would always have way more xp then needed for the next level.

By your example what if the base XP were restarted for dual classing? You take the 96,000 and are a 7th lvl fighter after chapter 7 (dumping the excess), Then at the end of chapter 8 you get the base 1,500 xp and your base starts up again. You can't level more than once a chapter anyway and this would supplement that.

I remember way back when I ran the Dragonlance campaign, Goldmoon died and Rverwind killed the black dragon. He came back as a Ranger 5/Cleric 1 and we continued on. After fighting /rescuing the refugees and defeating a red dragon, the party gained a lot of XP that Riverwind lost due to not being able to advance two levels at once. So it will happen even if I go rewarding xp/encounter (which I am looking into, but don't wish to do, to hack n' slash), because the monster will be tougher, the traps deadlier, and the RP more involved.

the milestone xp will work overall, it may just not work well for the build you are thinking of trying.

TallIan

Explorer
I was thinking of dual class characters last night and wonder if the chop pff point could be deducted from the base XP, normally you lose the extra anyway. But then you would always have way more xp then needed for the next level.

The trouble with that idea is that AD&D was balanced (for what little there was in AD&D) around total XP of the character. Although you could lose a bunch of XP if you dual classed at the wrong time I think that is a bit different from lowering the XP award if someone dual classes. The dual class character will fall further and further behind, or at least never catch up, since everyone is gaining a level every chapter. IIRC if you would gain more than one level your XP total was capped at 1XP below the second level up. That way you'd gain a level at the very next opportunity, helping you to catch up, and a friendly DM could even throw in a side quest for you to make up the difference.

I think less granular milestones, even if its only for the dual classing character for a few levels, might be the best approach.

Remove ads