Eclipse Phase: Sexy

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Keen, Shem!

Maybe you can give us a quick overview, if you get a chance? Is the system as intimidating as that charsheet implies? Any other neat tricks you saw that rise to the surface?

Uzzy

First Post
I'm surprised no one mentioned that this ruleset sounds like it'd be perfect for running games in the Culture for. So looking forward to this book getting released to stores generally.

Aloïsius

First Post
Interesting. Note that the "solutions" to death are not that new... Rêve : the dream ouroboros already had a built-in way to restore automaticaly your character to life and change its skills and ability. When you died, you just wake up elsewhere, and your former life (lives...) are just faint memories of a dream.
It likewise removed the problem of absent players through similar mechanics.... And it's a 20+ years old game.

Shemeska

Adventurer
You are allowed to hate me more now, because I picked up one of the 25 copies for Friday this morning as well.

Clueless was sick, so I snagged it for her, and got it signed by Rob Boyle for her since she wanted that as well.

Cadfan

First Post
So I keep hearing that this game is going to be creative commons. Can someone who knows clarify what that means, precisely?

Ie, will I be able to download this game without paying them?

coyote6

Adventurer
Anime. Video games. See two things and look for the third....where's the WoW comparison? :)

No, there are clearly too many science fictiony things going on, what with space and genetic engineering and cloning and such. It's nothing like WoW.

Eve is the MMO comparison you're looking for. ;)

Clueless

Webmonkey
And thank you for that Shem - seriously. The crowd on the 3rd day sold it out in under 30 seconds. I don't think *anyone* would have appreciated my "biological containment" imitation at that hour in that sort of crowd. Stupid airplanes and their germs... ;)

The book is *gorgeous*. Rob's work has always inspired my brain - and this is just that much worse. Hard science style space games with a horror bent have always been a thing for me - I've inflicted them often enough on my players.

So I keep hearing that this game is going to be creative commons. Can someone who knows clarify what that means, precisely? Ie, will I be able to download this game without paying them?

Creative Commons means the work is - essentially - a shared world. You have permission to create derivative works, to modify, enhance, and so forth so long as you release your stuff also under Creative Commons. At least that's the most common interpretation I've seen. More info: Creative Commons

For example, along those lines I set up a wiki/forums for Eclipse Phase this week as a fan site ( Darkcast if you're curious). Unlike my work with Planewalker, I don't have to worry about Catalyst coming back at me for their IP, nor do I have to negotiate for permission. It's already given in CC.

Andor

First Post
Or Raise Dead.

Not Quite. Raise Dead bring you back with memories intact. Restoring from a back-up leaves a gap with all kinds of plot worthy oportunities. Why does your best friend hate you now? Why does your worst enemy think you owe him a favor? When did you fill your freezer with blueberry poptarts?

Cadfan

First Post
Creative Commons means the work is - essentially - a shared world. You have permission to create derivative works, to modify, enhance, and so forth so long as you release your stuff also under Creative Commons. At least that's the most common interpretation I've seen. More info: Creative Commons

For example, along those lines I set up a wiki/forums for Eclipse Phase this week as a fan site ( Darkcast if you're curious). Unlike my work with Planewalker, I don't have to worry about Catalyst coming back at me for their IP, nor do I have to negotiate for permission. It's already given in CC.
Creative Commons Licenses

That's the link to the summary of the various CC licenses.

All six of them include the right "To Share - to copy, distribute and transmit the work." They then include various restrictions, such as Attribution, or Non Commercial, or Share Alike, or No Derivative Works.

So what I'm getting from this is that, if indeed this is a creative commons work (and I haven't got the book to verify that), that someone can scan it in and post a link here for everyone to download.

Now I know, its moral to pay for stuff you want, they deserve reward for their work, yadda yadda yadda. I know those are the theories. However I am cheap and like not paying for things and don't much care for economics through guilt. So if in fact this does have a CC license on it, and sharing it is legal, I'd like it verified so I can go download a free copy of this and not pay for it. All I can verify from the internet is that the webpage is CC, not that the book itself is CC, and if the book IS CC, whether its the same CC license as the webpage.

So can someone double check this? Its a very, very big difference.

Remove ads