• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Edition Love (not War)

the Jester

Legend
I love D&D of all kinds.

BECMI and 1e share a lot of strengths- a style of play I really like, quick and dirty, with lots of oddball stuff and light-hearted humor. I'll never forget the guy who had about 30 different pcs named Super Pretzel at various points!

2e has the best priest system for D&D ever, given sufficient dm investment in making sure they were varied and balanced. Oh man, I'd love to see the return of serious priestly differentiation.

3e has a great toolbox approach to everything that lets you build up odd combos, interesting concepts and strange monsters. Nothing like a pseudonatural feral half-troll kraken of legend!

4e does an incredible job of encouraging teamwork and does the best job ever of putting all the cards on the table; the math behind the system is transparent.

DumbPaladin

First Post
I almost miss the scandalously drawn women from 2.0 illustrations. Surely someone else out there remembers that stuff. At the same time, I am glad 3.x and 4th Edition didn't use them. ;)

Edit: Oh, and I love D&D.

Last edited:

TheNovaLord

First Post
Sticking to the +ve only...

BECM: i liked this as it was quite simple compared to stuff i played previous (RQ,DQ), plus i had a 10 month gap to fill from school before going to uni in 1984 and we played 3 times a weeek getting from 1st to 27th level

3.x: brought me back from a long D&D gap, and i really enjoyed many of the improvements. AC getting more positive for example!

Pathfinder. arrived at the right time to refresh my d20 lurve. playing Kingmaker campaign which is reminescent of the Test of the warlords et al from companion days

see, all +ve!

well done me

thedungeondelver

Adventurer

I love the concept of D&D. I don't love all forms of D&D. I do love AD&D (1st edition), original D&D (with or without SUPPLEMENTS), and some forms of basic D&D.

I appreciate what Wizards attempted with "3rd edition".

I love Paizo's love of GREYHAWK, which I am told carries over (in spirit) to PATHFINDER.

jbear

First Post
I love D&D. It was love at first sight. It was a forbidden love.
It was a love ignorant of editions.
That love is still alive and burning today 20 years later.
It is a love I freely share.
It is a love I have seen grow in those with whom I have shared it, others also bissfully unaware of editions.
It is a love I will pass on to the next generation and if I live long enough, to the next.

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
BECMI - Started with the Red Box and became addicted to D&D forever after. Rules Cyclopedia was my Bible for a long time. :D

AD&D 1st Edition - Only exposure to this until recently was hand-me down copies of the Monster Manual and Monster Manual II. Loved the idea of the demon lords and arch-devils and especially loved the Cat Lord for some reason.

AD&D 2nd Edition - Oh the quirky settings, how I loved them. Council of Wyrms and Spelljammer were my favorites and I still use ideas from them in my current Pathfinder campaigns.

3.0/3.5 - I started world and setting building with 2nd Edition, but 3rd really fostered and nurtured that particular love.

Pathfinder - Takes everything I love about 3.x and improves on it. :D Also the "edition" that got me my first professional editing credit.

4th Edition - The edition of choice for introducing my kids to my addiction.

Smoss

First Post
And the love fest begins...

BECMI/1e/etc - Much love for introducing the world to D&D - Though I have never played with you myself.

AD&D - For introducing ME to D&D back in college

3e - For being almost exactly the feel I was looking for in D&D at the time

4e - For having a couple good ideas to steal for my RPG system
------------------
Smoss

Remove ads