• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eladrin Knight is up on DDI

Mapache

Explorer
The Design and Development talks about Fey Guardian being based off of Int. But as far as I can see, it isn't based on Int at all.

I assume it did Int damage in development, until they realized that if you took Melee Training or Multiclass Swordmage+Intelligent Blademaster it was substantially better than the feature it replaces, so they dropped that in favor of just the teleport. That article also refers to "Flickering Blade", which is pretty clearly the power they finalized as "Glimmering Blade".

Klaus

First Post
As an extension of this concept, an eladrin knight could take up the "Staff Build" option from an earlier Dragon, then take Arcane Initiate to gain a wizard power, in addition to the power granted at 11th level. If/when we get full multiclass options for Essentials classes, this character might take more wizard powers.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I like it.

I like the idea of articles that focus on one race's particular expression of a class.

I kind of wish they would've kept the idea of "Trained in Arcana" as a prerequisite for the powers. Given that Eladrin get free training thanks to Eladrin Education, and that a background would be all anyone else needs, I could see someone easily hitting those prerequisites without spending a feat. I grok that this tactic might be a little "advanced" for an Essentials build, though. It just means that the abilities are less useful for knights of any other race. So if my half-elf knight trains with the Eladrin, he can't pick up these powers by RAW. Which isn't as cool or useful. But I suppose that's a minor quibble when the purpose of the article is certainly to focus on eladrin + knight.

Can't wait for dwarf + warlock, and elf + ranger. ;)

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
As an extension of this concept, an eladrin knight could take up the "Staff Build" option from an earlier Dragon, then take Arcane Initiate to gain a wizard power, in addition to the power granted at 11th level. If/when we get full multiclass options for Essentials classes, this character might take more wizard powers.
I had been thinking about that option. Another reason to look forward to the eventual release of those MC rules for Essentials!

I like it.

I like the idea of articles that focus on one race's particular expression of a class.

I kind of wish they would've kept the idea of "Trained in Arcana" as a prerequisite for the powers. Given that Eladrin get free training thanks to Eladrin Education, and that a background would be all anyone else needs, I could see someone easily hitting those prerequisites without spending a feat. I grok that this tactic might be a little "advanced" for an Essentials build, though. It just means that the abilities are less useful for knights of any other race. So if my half-elf knight trains with the Eladrin, he can't pick up these powers by RAW. Which isn't as cool or useful. But I suppose that's a minor quibble when the purpose of the article is certainly to focus on eladrin + knight.

Can't wait for dwarf + warlock, and elf + ranger. ;)
I agree in that the race-specific flavour is neat, but that they should have left the requirement as "trained in Arcana" because there are lots of ways that mesh well with this build that give you training in Arcana.

The downside of that ends up being that some other races might be better at being an Eladrin Knight than an Eladrin (like ones that get Int + Con, for example).

Still, if I were DM, I'd houserule it back to the other way if someone had a good reason to work it into their background.

And on that note, I have to say I really dug the fluff in this article. It just really fired my imagination; the whole time I was reading, I just kept coming up with neat character and setting ideas. I'll have to make a point of trying to work something like this into my campaign world.

Mapache

Explorer
The downside of that ends up being that some other races might be better at being an Eladrin Knight than an Eladrin (like ones that get Int + Con, for example).

Oh, how you taunt us, you cruel internet poster you. (The only race with Int+Con is the monster manual appendix writeup of the Githyanki.)

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Oh, how you taunt us, you cruel internet poster you. (The only race with Int+Con is the monster manual appendix writeup of the Githyanki.)
Oh, geez, you know, you're right! Here, I had been thinking Tiefling, but no, that's Cha + Int/Con. Whoops!

Heh. :)

Spelljamming Knights of Glorious and Gratuitous Teleports, anyone?

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich

I am "Basically OK With That"(tm). Unusual race/class combos are, for me, a lot of fun. This is speaking from my Gnome Assassin, my Dwarf Bard, and, recently, my Githyanki Pyromancer experience in my current campaign. ;)

Besides, it still won't mesh as well in fluff and even powers. A race that can't already teleport grabbing some of those teleport powers can be more incongruous.

See, I think the story of how an interplanar militaristic pirate who worships an undead soul-consuming goddess learns how to master the esoteric charms of the Feywild could be a really interesting story.

Perhaps she was abandoned on a raid? Perhaps her military group captured an eladrin that taught some secrets to be released? Perhaps there is an Eladrin organization making a devil's pact with some Githyanki outpost?

But, interesting stories aside, I'm also one for "future-proofing" game stuff, making it as broad and adaptable as possible. If I, as a DM, create an Int/Con teleporting race for my homebrew, and then don't have eladrin, my players should still be able to whip up an "eladrin knight" for use in my games.

PS: To tie this into another article...I think Rogue Modrons should be Int/Con. ;)

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
I am "Basically OK With That"(tm). Unusual race/class combos are, for me, a lot of fun. This is speaking from my Gnome Assassin, my Dwarf Bard, and, recently, my Githyanki Pyromancer experience in my current campaign. ;)

Besides, it still won't mesh as well in fluff and even powers. A race that can't already teleport grabbing some of those teleport powers can be more incongruous.

See, I think the story of how an interplanar militaristic pirate who worships an undead soul-consuming goddess learns how to master the esoteric charms of the Feywild could be a really interesting story.

Perhaps she was abandoned on a raid? Perhaps her military group captured an eladrin that taught some secrets to be released? Perhaps there is an Eladrin organization making a devil's pact with some Githyanki outpost?

But, interesting stories aside, I'm also one for "future-proofing" game stuff, making it as broad and adaptable as possible. If I, as a DM, create an Int/Con teleporting race for my homebrew, and then don't have eladrin, my players should still be able to whip up an "eladrin knight" for use in my games.

PS: To tie this into another article...I think Rogue Modrons should be Int/Con. ;)
I agree, for the most part. I was just pointing out one possible drawback to that approach.

I think that drawback only actually matters in the case where the race a particular 'thing' was designed for actually flat out sucks at it compared to other choices. That would be where I begin to draw the line.

I am hoping that more races get a choice of secondary stat boost - then we might see more races with an unusual set of stats. Genasi might be a good candidate for this as well, being Int + Str/Con, as a possibility.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I think that drawback only actually matters in the case where the race a particular 'thing' was designed for actually flat out sucks at it compared to other choices. That would be where I begin to draw the line.

I am hoping that more races get a choice of secondary stat boost - then we might see more races with an unusual set of stats. Genasi might be a good candidate for this as well, being Int + Str/Con, as a possibility.

Totally in accord!

Remove ads