• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eladrin Knight is up on DDI

BobTheNob

First Post
Im sorta thinking that, much like Intelligent blademaster, the class should have had a feature, or at least a feat option, baked into it. Something like

Eldrich Knigh Training
Pre-requisists : Eladrin, Knight
Use Int in place of strength for basic attacks

Wouldnt have been that hard to put one more paragraph into the article. (In place of that one advising putting 18 into Str)

Klaus

First Post
Im sorta thinking that, much like Intelligent blademaster, the class should have had a feature, or at least a feat option, baked into it. Something like

Eldrich Knigh Training
Pre-requisists : Eladrin, Knight
Use Int in place of strength for basic attacks

Wouldnt have been that hard to put one more paragraph into the article. (In place of that one advising putting 18 into Str)
Uh... That's what Melee Training is for.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
I am inclined to agree, though I suspect that their line of reasoning concerning the balance of it went something like,

Cool at-will teleports are worth:

1 feat for slightly lowered damage (Melee Training), or

2 feats and a multiclass for full damage (MC Swordmage + Intelligent Blademaster).

That makes it consistent with the Tiefling Knight + MC Paladin + Crimson Legion (use Cha for MBAs).

Last edited:

Klaus

First Post
Yes, but without the half damage rider that melee training has, since people are going to MC swordmage to get around that anyway
Those that *want* to can MC into swordmage. But the benefit is really minimum, and you pass up on the opportunity to get, say, Thunderwave as an encounter power (by MC into wizard).

ppaladin123

Adventurer
Those that *want* to can MC into swordmage. But the benefit is really minimum, and you pass up on the opportunity to get, say, Thunderwave as an encounter power (by MC into wizard).

Since you want to keep enemies next to you and in your defender aura, thunderwave wouldn't be particularly beneficial to a knight.

Klaus

First Post
Replace with Wizard power of choice. Or use Thunderwave to push enemies back, spend action point to charge them, lock them further away from the party.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Isn't there some Corellon-based feat that allows you to take a Wizard at-will as an encounter power?

I looked for it; I can't find it, but I was sure I'd heard it mentioned somewhere recently, probably in connection with this very topic. I looked it up in the Compendium when it came up, but now can't remember the name of it and searching for Corellon (or anything else I could think of) doesn't turn it up.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Replace with Wizard power of choice. Or use Thunderwave to push enemies back, spend action point to charge them, lock them further away from the party.
This option starts to make the Staff Knight seem like a not bad idea; you get a wizard implement that works with all your knight powers, has reach and makes it so your ranged attacks don't provoke OAs with the requisite Expertise feat.

Tack on War Wizard's Staff so you can slide another enemy into your blast, and you have a decent little setup; line them up, blast them away from the party, then AP charge them.

You could go Staff Fighting and TWF for a bit better damage and to bring it back to Heavy Shield AC via the Defensive property that your staff now has.

You could use Beguiling Strands instead so that you hit Will rather than Fort and have Blast 5 for even more enemies pushed away, and pushed further because your Wisdom mod also probably isn't going to be better than 3.

Then, when you're done, your party Wizard, Sorcerer, Hunter, or whatever can lay a nice area burst on the cluster of baddies you just made.

It's not optimal but it would be fun.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads