Electronic copies of Dragon and Polyhedron now available from Archive.org

LeStew

Explorer
One's opinion of the situation can change given new evidence. ;)

And based on this new evidence I believe that WOTC has a valid copyright complaint. And they should pursue it.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
The interesting thing is, a lot of those old back issues of Dragon can't technically be reprinted by even WotC, due to rights of many of those old articles being in limbo or reverted back to the original authors. If you recall, TSR got into trouble when they released the Dragon Compendium CD-ROM.

The downloads aren't working for me in any case. Right mouse click, save as, and Adobe won't open it. I look in explorer and the file has 0 bytes.

You have to click on each individual entry on the list of issues. That will bring up a screen which gives you a choice of file type to download. You then right-click on the name of the file type you want, then do "Save As".

Hypothetically speaking, of course. If I were to have downloaded these (which I am not admitting to), that is what would have worked for me. It also seems that the list may not be complete, if one were to examine it closely (and I'm not saying I did), it seems to be missing issues 336 to 363, and anything after issue 394.

rgard

Adventurer
You have to click on each individual entry on the list of issues. That will bring up a screen which gives you a choice of file type to download. You then right-click on the name of the file type you want, then do "Save As".

Yes, I did try it that way. Must be something goofy with my security settings. Probably best as this now sounds the archive is running afoul of the law.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
They have scans (of so-so quality) of the 5 Best of Dragon. They also have the Strategic Review that preceded Dragon.

These are a great old school nostalgia trip/resource (especially the first two BoD).

Just saying...

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
It's been a few weeks, and I note that the scans are still up. Did we ever get the legal situation clarified?
All of the scans have now been removed, confirming the general consensus that they weren't put there with WotC's permission in the first place.

But, if WotC is listening... please consider adding scans of back issues of magazines to your PDF release schedule. I realize that there might be some tricky rights issues to resolve, but I'd be willing to pay for, say, a complete archive of Polyhedron Newszine in PDF format. (And I say this as someone who already has a complete set of Polyhedrons in print format!)

Remove ads