• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Elements of Magic Comments

Selganor

Adventurer
I'm still wondering if I should give the Mages in Glantri in my Mystara Campaign the EoM-Magic instead of the "normal" magic. This way they might well be as snobby as they always appear compared to other spellcasters. ;D

Dave Blewer

First Post
Slight ranger confusion

On page 32 the book states that rangers gain +1 to various skills plus weapon damage. It then states that this bonus also applies to the chance to hit bonus on page 33.

I am seriously loving everything I have read so far by the way :D

Dave Blewer

First Post
I have some more questions. They have probably been asked and answered elsewhere, so please excuse any redundancy in this post.

Abjure [Creature]: The Warding component of this spell does not state the size of area that can be warded

Abjure [Magic]: The spell description of this spell implies that the caster can have access to five different uses for this spell. However the Dwarven Mage Maelus Kaison (detailed on page 48-49) has a Spirit Mask spell that only accesses the Non Detection part of Abjure [Magic]. How about giving a mage who does something like this a bonus to the effect that he has chosen?

Favoured Class: How is this effected by these rules? Do Gnomes and Elves now have a choise of either Mage or a seperate coloured Mage as their favoured class?

How do I cast a Comprehend Languages or Tongues Spell?

Command [Creature]: This ones a little nit picky. the 5th level version causes an individual 1d6 damage per hour (with a save). 6th level spell states as 5th level except that the target suffers 2d6 damage per day that they fight the spell. I take it that this damage replaces the 1d6 per hour from the 5th level version?

Companion [Creature] I am a bit confused on this one. If you have Companion [Animal] and no other Companion [Creature] list you can only have 1 HD of companion per spellcasting level (+ a similar level of Animal HD back home playing guard dog.

If you have two Companion [Creature] lists (say Animal and Beast), then you can have up to 1HD per level in each category. So A 1st level Green Mage with these lists could have a Badger and Stirge companion, plus another Stirge and a Monkey back at his home base.

Where I get confused is the text on page 66 that states that a typical starting companion [creature] is a 2HD Wolf. What am I missing/not understanding?

Also I was expecting that this list would give you the ability to Awaken a Companion Creature... I suppose that Alter Reality could be used to do this very slowly or there might be something later that I haven't seen yet.

Compel [Creature]: The Dance component of this spell states that the penalties to AC, skills, damage, attacks etc are included in the table on page 66. They are not.

Enthrall [Creature]: What is the area of effect for this spell?

I'll add more if I come across them. Really Love the Book though! :D

Last edited:

Dave Blewer

First Post
More questions...

It seems to me that the Grenade component of Infuse Object with [Element] should have a saving throw for those caught in the blast radius.

Abjure [Creature]: The Warding component of this spell does not state the size of area that can be warded

I think there was a post early about this. Something like 5-ft. radius/level?

Abjure [Magic]: The spell description of this spell implies that the caster can have access to five different uses for this spell. However the Dwarven Mage Maelus Kaison (detailed on page 48-49) has a Spirit Mask spell that only accesses the Non Detection part of Abjure [Magic]. How about giving a mage who does something like this a bonus to the effect that he has chosen?

Each spell does only one thing from those five. So for Abjure Magic you have to choose whether you want an antimagic effect, or nondetection, or spell resistance, etc. You'd have to cast it 5 times to get all 5 effects, but you only have to choose the spell list once.

Favoured Class: How is this effected by these rules? Do Gnomes and Elves now have a choise of either Mage or a seperate coloured Mage as their favoured class?

Forget favored classes and just ignore them. I completely see no reason for them, except for flavor's sake, to persuade more people to play warrior Dwarves and sneaky Halflings. You don't need to use them at all. If you want to, though, just use the generic Mage class as the favored class for all races that currently have a spellcasting class favored.

How do I cast a Comprehend Languages or Tongues Spell?

*coughs nervously* Yeah, we forgot to put that one in. If you want a sorta freaky application, you could use Polymorph Sonic 3 or 4 as a way to emulate Tongues. For comprehend languages, maybe it could be a magical application of the Decipher Script skill. Use 1 MP to understand a document of any language.

I skipped a couple of your questions because I don't know the answers off the top of my head.

Compel [Creature]: The Dance component of this spell states that the penalties to AC, skills, damage, attacks etc are included in the table on page 66. They are not.

I think they just lose their Dex bonus to AC and are considered flat-footed. I might be wrong.

Dave Blewer

First Post
Yet another question...

But I am really near the end now :)

The Sight spell mentions that it cannot effect Phantasms because they effect the mind. Where is rge Phantasm spell or effect ?

Bandido

First Post
I'd really love to get The Elements of Magic, but I hate reading PDFs off computers. Are you going to be doing a print version in the near future, or at least making it a 'Print on Demand' product at RPGNow? Home-printed stuff is never the same.

Moonsword

First Post
When is that FAQ going to be ready, and where will it be posted? I'd like to look through it.

Great product, very interesting ideas. I'm looking at mixing it with d20 Modern in a few ways.

Dave Blewer

First Post
Another Question

Abjure Humanoid... Would this protect against/Ward/Bind all Humanoids or would the Mage have to specify at the time of casting Humans, Orcs, Goblinoids, Giants etc...?

Remove ads