• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Elements of Magic Errata

Tuerny

First Post
Hi,
I am about to use Elements of Magic in my soon to be started home D&D campaign. Anyway, because of this I think it would be useful to put together a list of EoM errors and suggested fixes for said errors.

Is anyone interested in helping out?

If so post errors or potential balance problems on this thread. We can discuss potential fixes and perhaps determine what we need to do to make this product reach its full potential.

Tuerny

First Post
Error #1:

Evoke Element and Evoke Area Element's damage are identical. Evoke Area Element has a more intense elemental side effect than Evoke Element does. This makes Evoke Element largely redundant.

Potential Fix: On the chart for Evoke Area Element's Damage move the damage rating down one level. Set the level 0 damage to 1 point.
So, for example, the damage for a 3rd level Evoke Area (Black) Element is 3d6+1/level (max 10)

Tuerny

First Post
Error: Targeting planar creatures with certain Lists

The lists Charm Creature, Command Creature, Compel Creature, Dominate Creature, Enthrall Creature, Instill Emotion in Creature, Mass Compulsion Creature, Polymorph Creature, and Telepathy Creature have no way to (with the exception of Polymorph Element) affect elementals or outsiders thus making it impossible to charm demons.

Suggested Fix:
Add lists that are identical to the previously mentioned lists with the designator [Outsider] and [Element] with the caveat they only affect elemental creatures of said type.

Tuerny

First Post
Error: The Elemental Side-Effects Table

Lava goes from the side effect fire at low levels to the side effect low fire, lava at medium levels.

Suggested Solution: Change it to go from low fire to lava, fire.

Tuerny

First Post
Error: Magical Boon (Breathe Water)

The major magical boon Breathe Water is somewhat useless in the face of immunity to the medium intensity effect: water (which confers an immunity to drowning).

Suggested Fix: Make a note that unlike immunity to drowning, Breathe Water enables the mage to cast spells underwater without difficulty.

Tuerny

First Post
Possible Error: Paladin Spell Progression

For some reason the paladin has a spellcaster level +1/2 from levels 1 to 5.
Rangers have a spellcaster level of +1/2 starting at level 5. The two classes should probably be more unfied, perhaps by making the paladin start to get spells at +1/2 level at level 5.

scholz

First Post
Re: Possible Error: Paladin Spell Progression

Tuerny said:
For some reason the paladin has a spellcaster level +1/2 from levels 1 to 5.
Rangers have a spellcaster level of +1/2 starting at level 5. The two classes should probably be more unfied, perhaps by making the paladin start to get spells at +1/2 level at level 5.

I don't think that is an error. The low spellcaster levels are there to duplicate the lay on hands and turning ability (I think).

-s

Tuerny

First Post
Ahhh....
Yeah that makes sense.

Though it is a bit inelegant.

Oh well.

Thats why I noted it was a possible error rather than a confirmed one. :)

Thanks!

scholz

First Post
Biomatter's Side Effect = Bludgeon?
Seems redundant Evoke Biomatter does bludgeon damage and then extra bludgeon damage?

Potential Fix: Replace Bludgeon with Tangle
As per Net Rules (maybe with a Reflex save)... character is 1/2 move (no run) -2 AC, -6 Dex. Can break free with Escape Artist 20 or by doing 5pts of Damage (or 25 Strength DC).

That would also make it easier to replace the Entangle spell.
A Create Elemental Object could make traps and weapons with tangling effects.

Not sure how that would work for infuse creature with element (although the tangle resistance would be cool).

-Steve

Remove ads