Elite: Year One - Issue #1

Tokiwong

First Post
Wake of the Comet

Splash page of the planet Earth, it is blue and green, and a backdrop of space surrounds it, a bright purple and red object mars the scene, and a shimmering tale follows. Ghenther’s Comet in all of its glory…

The next panel shows a dark street and one lone teen walking alone. A close up of the truck grill before the next panel shows a man sitting at a desk, working paperwork, a juxtaposition of the last scene.

Gordon Aster

Another day doing paperwork, the 15th of July, and the world couldn’t seem more normal. But in all actuality it was anything but normal; at least for Gordon. It was looking to be another dull morning when Professor Gibbons walked in carrying his blue mug. He cracks a smile, “So Gordon, what do you say, you going to be up for a lunch time game of racquetball?”

It was a weekly ritual, David Gibbons invited Gordon out for racquetball, Gordon gets crushed, and David feels just a little bit better about himself. Of course with the loss of his wife three months earlier to a drunk driver, it is the one thing that seems to bring the professor out of his shell.

“Hey guess what, you won’t believe this, that grant I have been pushing for. Man we go it, we can finally get some quality equipment now, and you said it was a long shot. Maybe I got like super powers of persuasion now or something,” he jokes rubbing his balding head.

The next panel shows the truck speeding quickly down the road, and the driver slowly closing his eyes. Until his head falls forward and the truck continues. The teen continues walking, the panel focusing on his face, impassive and looking bored. He was lanky and not all that handsome, just a normal kid in baggy clothes.

The next Panel shows three men sitting around a table with a few old tomes sitting on them. It is evening time, and one of the men is dressed as a Catholic priest, though very handsome. The other is an older man, and the last is Jan Sverak

Jan Sverak

Sidney speaks puffing on his pipe, “Please excuse my manners Jan, I would like you to meet my cousin of Father William Barnibus.”

William smiles, he was a handsome young man, barely into his mid twenties. He hardly looked like the type be a priest but there he was. He speaks to Jan, “I am pleased to meet you, and Sidney exaggerates. I am still finishing up the Seminary, but God willing, I will be a priest one day maybe even a Bishop…” he jokes.

Sidney chortles, “Boy is about as pious as they come, and I suppose he makes up for my short comings.”

William shrugs, “You jest cousin,” he turns to Jan, “I was actually interested in meeting you Jan, I had read about the incident in the Guardian. Very intriguing, bloke, I hope the subject is not too sensitive to talk about.”

Sidney looks to Jan, allowing him to answer.

The next panel shows the truck speed through a red light, causing several vehicles to honk their horns, nearly causing several of them to crash. But it continues unabated, the driver lost in quaint sleep.

The next panel shows a woman in her mid to late twenties with long brown hair. The room is dimly lit as opera plays in the background, and the air is filled with the sweet stench of a cigar…

Frida Freling

Frida is focusing to tune out the noises around her. It is disconcerting to hear the newlyweds across the street go at it again for the third time in four hours, but thankfully her music was drowning out the sound. It is another evening, lost in her thoughts, trying to just make sense of everything that had happened.

Those thoughts mingled with her own need to salvage her business.

The phone rings and surprisingly the number belongs to Fran…

The next panel shows the youth walking before he stumbles over some trash. He nearly face plants but thankfully catches himself. But that does not stop some teens from laughing at his plight. He turns and shrugs, knowing that he was caught when he starts to turn at a sound…

A lonely stretch of road along the PCH where Ford Mustang Convertible is parked. Three teens sitting inside…

Samantha Clayton

“I can’t believe they are going to give that freak his own show,” Todd says sitting in his car with Jennifer his girlfriend and Sam’s friend.

“Hey Miracle Kid is pretty cool, I mean, he can like fly and do cool stuff, he is sort of cute I guess, especially since he can do that cool stuff,” Jennifer says as she drinks some beer.

Todd lights up his joint, “Whatever, he is a freak, I hear those kind of people can like read your minds and stuff, screw that. They are freaks right, Sam?” he says offering her the lit joint.

The splash panel shows the truck smashing through a parked car. Sparks are flying and the grill looks intimidating as it looms large over the youth, who just looks back dumbfounded…

The next scene shows a single construction worker reporting to work, speaking to the foreman…

Jason McCallister

“Hey JC, I want you to handle sector 4, use that strength you got, so I can put some extra guys on Sector 2, you are doing a great job by the way,” the foreman says as he dismisses Jason.

Jason makes his way to area, another lazy morning, as much of the crew just sort of watches him pass not sure what to make of the man. They don’t say much, they don’t even talk to Jason anymore, he is just… alone.

When he gets to the site, he sees a man standing there his arms folded across his chest. He wears a long black trench coat, with shades. He is Caucasian with short cropped dark hair, and a muscled build. Jason recognizes him right away, Major Grant from his days in the active duty Army…

Major Grant speaks as Jason approaches, “Good morning soldier, I got a proposition for you…”

The next panel shows the truck collide with the youth… he glows brilliantly as an explosion rocks the street stunning the bystanders… the blast consumes the next panel.

The next panel shows a man waking up in bed, next to a woman…

Christopher Jones

He woke up next to her. She said she couldn’t make it, and then there she was on his doorstep at three in the morning. Christopher sees the clock and sees that he is already at least an hour late for work… she must have turned off the alarm, so she wouldn’t be bothered.

Kelly stirs, “Morning,” she says not looking at him, “I thought you had to work?”

The next panel shows the youth still glowing as the flames and wreckage give way to his unscathed form… the Miracle Kid is born… and thus begins Elite: Year One living in the wake of the comet…

Last edited:

Mimic

First Post
Tokiwong said:
Todd lights up his joint, “Whatever, he is a freak, I hear those kind of people can like read your minds and stuff, screw that. They are freaks right, Sam?” he says offering her the lit joint.

"I don't know," she says taking the joint while looking down at the car floor. "I don't think their freaks just a little different ya'know."

She quickly takes a drag and hands it off to Jennifer.

"So how do you thinks you guys did on that English test we took yesterday." She asks them, attempting to change the subject.

Calinon

First Post
Major Grant speaks as Jason approaches, “Good morning soldier, I got a proposition for you…”
Sighing a bit to himself from the attitude of his former working buddies, Jason is more than a little surprised to see Major Grant standing on his construction site. "This would be where that monthly check comes up and bites me in the hiney," Jason muses to himself.

"Hi Major Grant," Jason says. "You know, if you are going to proposition me, you could have at least worn a skirt," he says jokingly, remembering a similar statement Major Grant had said to a recruit some years back, though his mood is still muted by the cold reception he seems to be getting from co-workers these days.

"If you don't mind walking with me, you can tell me why you came to see me while I work. I doubt you came because of my less than stellar soldiering from five years back, so I'm guessing you want to see what's happened to me," he says, handing the Major a hardhat from the control booth.

Synchronicity

First Post
Christopher Jones

Tokiwong said:
Christopher Jones

He woke up next to her. She said she couldn’t make it, and then there she was on his doorstep at three in the morning. Christopher sees the clock and sees that he is already at least an hour late for work… she must have turned off the alarm, so she wouldn’t be bothered.

Kelly stirs, “Morning,” she says not looking at him, “I thought you had to work?”

Christopher sighs slightly at Kelly's words and puts a hand on her shoulder. "Look, please don't be like that. I already took a load of sick days recently because of some nasty flu I got hit with."

For a moment, the panel splits..on the left, Christopher explaining why he was off work to Kelly, an unhappy and apologetic expression on his face..and on the right, Christopher racing around his house at incredible speed, running up the walls, along the ceiling, all over the place, his face set in a massive smile. Underneath the right hand images, a caption reads.."Nasty flu indeed!"

"I can't take today off as well, or else it'll take forever to catch up with the work. I'm sorry, Kel. It's very delicate work, and at the moment it's kind of..." Christopher trails off, knowing that Kelly isn't really listening to his excuses. He gently squeezes her shoulder in a silent apology, and then gets out of bed, beginning to get dressed and ready for work. He glances slightly at Kelly as he puts on his shirt, a strange look in his eye, before he asks - in an offhand manner, were it not for that odd glint - "Heh, maybe if I'm lucky, one day I'll get some super-powers of being able to work really fast or something...what do you think?"

Last edited:

Rybaer

First Post
When Professor Gibbons walks in, Gordon looks for a place to set down the latest volume of Journal of High Energy Physics. His desk has only ten square inches of open surface which is reserved for his coffee mug - currently absent while soaking in the lab sink. Gordon sets the journal gingerly on the top of the shortest stack.

"Sure, I guess you could talk me into taking another beating," Gordon says. He unfolds his lanky frame from the decrepit office chair and runs a hand through his mussed hair while looking around for the gym back he keeps on hand. "I'm pretty sure I've got my stuff here somewhere."

Professor Gibbons said:
“Hey guess what, you won’t believe this, that grant I have been pushing for. Man we go it, we can finally get some quality equipment now, and you said it was a long shot. Maybe I got like super powers of persuasion now or something,” he jokes rubbing his balding head.

Gordon raises his eyebrows in surprise. "Really? That's great news. I'd be a little careful bragging about having super powers, though. Someone in Biochem overhears that and next thing you know they'll have you strapped to a table in one of their labs and sample every conceivable tissue in your body before you can say 'Bose-Einstein condensate'.

"Now, if only I could get me some superpowers useful in a raquetball game..." Gordon gives the professor a wry grin. "Meet you at lunchtime, then?"

By the time Gibbons leaves, Gordon realizes that he has in fact left his gym bag in his apartment. Making sure no one is watching, he folds space so that his vision extends into his apartment. There you are, he mutters to himself as he spies the errant duffel sitting under the coffee table.

Gordon's vision returns to the office. He peeks out into the hall to be sure no one will be coming for the next ten seconds or so. Satisfied, he folds space, superimposing the office with his apartment living room for the smallest fraction of a second. Space snaps back, leaving him in the apartment. He quickly collects the gym bag, then reverses the process back to the office.

Gordon stuffs the bag under his desk and flops back into the chair. He idly thinks about how easy it would be to tweak the flight path of a raquet ball by bending space. Wouldn't the prof flip out over that? Just as quickly, Gordon casts aside the idle fancy and returns to reading his journal until it's time for his weekly thrashing.

Mordane76

First Post
"Gott, was könnte sie vielleicht wünschen?" Frida thought to herself as she traced the back of the phone. "Ich werde ließ gerade die antwortende Maschine sie abholen," she says to herself walking away, then paced back towards the phone. Making an obscene gesture towards her window, and the bawdy newlyweds across the way, she finally resigns herself to pick up the phone.

"Ja, was kann ich für dich tun, Fran? Du hast nicht im Alter benannt," she says into the receiver.

Translation:
1 - God, what could she possibly want?
2 - I'll let the answering machine pick it up.
3 - Yes, what can I do for you, Fran? You haven't called in ages.

My German is a bit rusty, so some of this may be a bit of obvious "foreigner-talk."

Samnell

Explorer
Tokiwong said:
Sidney speaks puffing on his pipe, “Please excuse my manners Jan, I would like you to meet my cousin of Father William Barnibus.”
Jan politely smiles at Sidney's cousin and greets him in unaccented English, "Hello."

William smiles, he was a handsome young man, barely into his mid twenties. He hardly looked like the type be a priest but there he was. He speaks to Jan, “I am pleased to meet you, and Sidney exaggerates. I am still finishing up the Seminary, but God willing, I will be a priest one day maybe even a Bishop…” he jokes.
"Then we are both students," Jan agrees. "Our fields of study may even be complimentary." Jan doubted it. Seminarians studied theology and Jan studied history. Unless William wanted to speak about medieval theories of statecraft, which were primarily theological in nature, his education probably touched on little of the same ground Jan's did.

Sidney chortles, “Boy is about as pious as they come, and I suppose he makes up for my short comings.”
"I would not have known," Jan said with more than a hint of irony and a small smile. If Sidney had darkened the door of a church in the past several years, Jan didn't know it. Then again, it wasn't as though Jan would be there to catch him in the act. "I have only ever seen you preach the virtues of Antiquity and Guiness."

William shrugs, “You jest cousin,” he turns to Jan, “I was actually interested in meeting you Jan, I had read about the incident in the Guardian. Very intriguing, bloke, I hope the subject is not too sensitive to talk about.”
So that's what this was about. At least Sidney hadn't done this before. Others hadn't been so courteous.

Sidney looks to Jan, allowing him to answer.
"Not at all. What would you like to know?"

Last edited:

Tokiwong

First Post
Calinon said:
"Hi Major Grant," Jason says. "You know, if you are going to proposition me, you could have at least worn a skirt," he says jokingly, remembering a similar statement Major Grant had said to a recruit some years back, though his mood is still muted by the cold reception he seems to be getting from co-workers these days.

“Please just call me Charles,” he replies, “I haven’t been called Major in over two years now.

Calinon said:
"If you don't mind walking with me, you can tell me why you came to see me while I work. I doubt you came because of my less than stellar soldiering from five years back, so I'm guessing you want to see what's happened to me," he says, handing the Major a hardhat from the control booth.

Charles takes the hardhat and follows. He produces a letter, “I came because you are a soldier; and you have some new gifts soldier, new gifts that could benefit many people.”

He hands Jason the letter, “So in the matter of National Security, President Bush has offered you a choice. I am not much of a salesman but I do know that the offer we are proposing is much better then the alternative.”

Jan Sverak

William smiles, “What is it like? To be able to do the things that you can do? I have often sat and thought about the subject myself, the how’s and whys of this new phenomenon; trying to puzzle out the grand design, or perhaps his plan?”

“Maybe there is no grand design?” Sidney speaks.

“I would like to believe there is a reason or a purpose to these powers. The debates have been fierce amidst my peers,” William finishes.

Frida Freling

Fran replies speaking in German, “Always the pleasant conversationalist; sister. I know I have not called in ages, but I have something important I wanted to tell you. I am getting married, and I just wanted you to meet the man I am going to call husband. It would man a lot to me…”

She pauses, waiting for Frida’s reaction.

Gordon Aster

Gordon races back and forth across the racquetball court, as David once again puts the hurt on Gordon. During a brief break after the fourth game, David sits against the wall with a sigh, “Super powers,” he mutters, “I don’t get it. I mean, all my career I have studied the laws of reality, and these super powers totally throw all of my work on its ear. I mean…” he smirks, “These powers could put me out of a job.”

“But… well that sort of ties into the grant we received,” he finishes softly.

Christopher Jones

Kelly sighs, “You know I would have thought you have been happier to see me, I mean I try and surprise you and you just-” her phone starts ringing. She check who called, and then places it back in her jacket hanging next to the bed.

“It is fine Chris, and I doubt I could picture you as some kind of super powered freak. You are too cute for that, when you are not being an idiot; tell you what… How about you go to work, and I will meet you for lunch…” she bites her lip.

Samantha Clayton

Todd shrugs, “I think they are scary, and my dad does too. I mean if I ever met one of them freaks…”

Jennifer takes the joint, “Shut up, and stop being such a bigot.”

Todd waves her off, “Hey they are the freaks not me.”

Jennifer rolls her eyes and takes a long hit, “Tests suck. I hate summer school, but who cares about that, there is a big party this weekend. You going?”

Mimic

First Post
"Great, now I'm a freak of nature..." Sam thinks quietly to herself, flinching involuntarily when Todd says what he would do to an elite if he ever met one.

"I don't think thats very fair, its not like they had a choice in getting those abilities. They didn't wake up one day and decide that today is the day that I am going to get extra-ordinary powers so people can stare and think I'm a freak..." She starts off quietly, her voice raising up to a normal level by the end. "What would you do if it happened to one of your parents?" She asks him.

"I don't know, I get enough abuse at school not to sure if want to include it into my weekend and there is a dress rehersal Saturday at the theater, Mr. McDonald would be pissed if I missed that. Although I would love to see the look of those bitches faces if I did go." She tells Jennifer with a smile.

Calinon

First Post
Charles takes the hardhat and follows. He produces a letter, “I came because you are a soldier; and you have some new gifts soldier, new gifts that could benefit many people.”

"I don't see how getting some extra strength will make me a better soldier. I can still get shot and killed as easy as anyone else. I make a good target, remember. I was what... fifty second in my platoon in shooting?" Jason says, taking the letter.

He hands Jason the letter, “So in the matter of National Security, President Bush has offered you a choice. I am not much of a salesman but I do know that the offer we are proposing is much better then the alternative.”
Jason's brow furrows worriedly at the way the Major had said alternative. "I have a good thing going here. Another year and a half and I'll get my engineering degree. That's a pretty good alternative to going back to the military and getting shot out of war-time," he says, opening the letter.

Remove ads