• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Elminster's Forgotten Realms

nilang

First Post
Seems like I'm going to spend some money in books if they start publishing edition neutral settings. Specially if they cover most of the timeline in each one.

I'll wait for reviews, but I'm intrigued by an edition-neutral return to "core" FR.

I have a reservation about Greenwood, though -- how much of this will be populated by his Mary Sues?

delericho

Legend
Heck, I'm no fan of the Realms, and I still think this book sounds awesome. If nothing else, it will serve for a really good example of how a world can be put together.

This may well be the product that brings me back into the WotC-customer fold.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
It has Elminster in the title. Mirt the Money Lender will be prominent no doubt. Mary Sues will abound, but will play narrator mostly.

Jeremy E Grenemyer

Feisty
Supporter
That's because SKR did the rules updates, and SKR has a very good understanding of both the Realms and 3.x mechanics.

He's not available this time, though.
Aye, which speaks to my point, i.e. it's possible to include rules with Realmslore without diluting the later.

Though the more I think about it the more I think this will be a rules-neutral product, and that's A OK with me. :)

As for Ed's Mary Sues...I myself don't think of them as such. If we are getting the 100% "from Ed's basement" stuff, then I don't think we're going to see Elminster, Khelben or any of the Seven Sisters presented in the same superhero-ish format as they've been depicted in various novels and sourcebooks.

Time will tell. Don't know about y'all, but I'm excited! :cool:

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
(snip) As for Ed's Mary Sues...I myself don't think of them as such. If we are getting the 100% "from Ed's basement" stuff, then I don't think we're going to see Elminster, Khelben or any of the Seven Sisters presented in the same superhero-ish format as they've been depicted in various novels and sourcebooks. (snip)

Yeah, Ed the Game Designer is very different to Ed the Author (especially Ed the Author is writing to spec). Even a cursory review of things like Eye on the Realms shows Ed is much more focussed on the smaller details and people of lesser import than the often turgid dreck that passes for a Forgotten Realms novel.

HRG

First Post
Not a big fan of Ed's novels but his game lore has always been gold. I love the Volo's Guides, for instance. Those were always packed with awesome fluff and tons of adventure hooks.

This product will mix well with a beer, a pipe and a fireplace, I reckon.

Remove ads