Elminster's Guide to Deities and Avatars

Ash Mantle

Adventurer
As the avatar of a god, I think he should also be immune to the charmed condition but otherwise, I really like this.
Heh, my reasoning for this was that Valkur is noted as being capricious with his attention, a lovely siren or mermaid probably causes him to stray all the time.
However, as the avatar of a god he really should be immune to the charmed condition. I've included that in the statblock.
I've also included that any sailing vessel that has Valkur on board cannot capsize and is unsinkable as part of this Captain of the Waves ability.
Also, thanks heaps.

Ash Mantle

Adventurer
I think his abilities are very weak. I don't see him being much of a threat to levl 17 characters, let alone level 20

How do you figure?
Something like his Calm the Tides basically means an elder tempest's living storm, lightning storm, lightning strike and screaming gale don't function in a 120 foot radius. Spells like storm of vengeance also wouldn't fully function.
Maybe I can increase the radius to 1 mile though.

Why would he need a recharge ability to calm the seas?

Basically because he's not really a deity of weather or the seas but only of favourable winds. A deity like Umberlee or Silvanus to use Forgotten Realms examples would be able to control the weather without expenditure of resources.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Are you missing a paragraph of explanatory test at the beginning of OP? I don't see explanation of what you want us to use the statblock to do.

neogod22

Explorer
How do you figure?

He does no real damage. He has no real threatening abilities. You're saying this guy is supposed to be able to take on a team of level 20s that's going to average about 50-100 damage per player per round and has nothing that comes remotely close to that kind of damage. My level 17 warlock could probably solo him.

neogod22

Explorer
If I were statting the actual deities themselves, I'd definitely have their hit dice go off d20s. The avatars, on the other hand, would still all likely have humanoid hit dice, or just as likely have hit dice based off their creature type.

However, I'll include regeneration based off their position on the divine strata. Valkur as a demigod would have regeneration 20. Tiamat has renegeration 30, while Lathander would have regeneration 40.

You'll like my potential plans for Lathander; he can Divine Blast, and has Glory of the Morning (Recharge 5-6). Lathander unleashes sunlight of such intensity and radiance that it appears as the coming of a second dawn. Each creature in a 170 ft radius must make a DC 27 Constitution saving throw, taking 49 (9d10) radiant and 44 (8d10) fire damage on a failed save and is blinded for 1 minute, or half as much damage on a successful one and is blinded until the start of Lathander's next turn.
A creature blinded by this effect makes another Constitution saving throw at the end of each of its turns, and on a successful save it is no longer blinded.
Any undead within the radius with 80 hit points or fewer are instantly destroyed.
This also dispels any darkness or deeper darkness in its area.

But this also highlights the disparity between Lathander, a divine rank 17 greater god, and Valkur, a possibly divine rank 5 demigod.
That's actually pretty scary. I'd probably not give the blind condition on the pass though. At a DC 27, it's not going to be possible for most characters to even make. I like it though

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
That's actually pretty scary. I'd probably not give the blind condition on the pass though. At a DC 27, it's not going to be possible for most characters to even make. I like it though

Nah, that DC is fine. It's the same DC as Tiamat's breath weapons and the demon lords are just a little bit easier with a DC of 23 for most of them. If you're going to fight the avatar of a greater god then you better be prepared and hope that the cleric can restore the sight of anyone who was blinded.

neogod22

Explorer
Nah, that DC is fine. It's the same DC as Tiamat's breath weapons and the demon lords are just a little bit easier with a DC of 23 for most of them. If you're going to fight the avatar of a greater god then you better be prepared and hope that the cleric can restore the sight of anyone who was blinded.
I think you're not understanding the mechanics of how this works. At a DC 27, the only characters who has a chance of passing are fighters and paladins. Even then at level 20, they have a 75% chance at failure. Even if you house rule and say a natural 20 is an automatic success, that's only brings everyone else from a 0% to 5% chance of succeeding. So that means there is a huge chance that 100% of the party will be blinded for the remainder of the fight.

To cure blindness it takes a GREATER RESTORATION spell, which is a 5th level spell. A cleric has only 3 slots of 5th, 2 slots of 6th, 2 of 7th, and so on. They do not want to waste all of their high level slots on casting greater restoration o. The party when they can all be blinded again the next round.

Next issue is, it does damage AND blind the characters for the entire fight. Yes 1 min is the entire fight. This could be fine if it's a 1/day ability, but it's rechargeable, which means on good rolls he can spam the ability every round until everyone is blind (which takes maybe 2 or 3). The next problem is, even if the fighter makes his save, he is still blind for 1 round, which is also a problem, because he can't hit his target, unless he has a magic item that gives him blindsight or tremorsense. At a 50% recharge rate, if it was damage plus blind for 1 round would be fair on a fail and half damage and no blind on a pass would be fair.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I think you're not understanding the mechanics of how this works. At a DC 27, the only characters who has a chance of passing are fighters and paladins. Even then at level 20, they have a 75% chance at failure. Even if you house rule and say a natural 20 is an automatic success, that's only brings everyone else from a 0% to 5% chance of succeeding. So that means there is a huge chance that 100% of the party will be blinded for the remainder of the fight.

To cure blindness it takes a GREATER RESTORATION spell, which is a 5th level spell. A cleric has only 3 slots of 5th, 2 slots of 6th, 2 of 7th, and so on. They do not want to waste all of their high level slots on casting greater restoration o. The party when they can all be blinded again the next round.

Next issue is, it does damage AND blind the characters for the entire fight. Yes 1 min is the entire fight. This could be fine if it's a 1/day ability, but it's rechargeable, which means on good rolls he can spam the ability every round until everyone is blind (which takes maybe 2 or 3). The next problem is, even if the fighter makes his save, he is still blind for 1 round, which is also a problem, because he can't hit his target, unless he has a magic item that gives him blindsight or tremorsense. At a 50% recharge rate, if it was damage plus blind for 1 round would be fair on a fail and half damage and no blind on a pass would be fair.

No, I understand how it works. You can still fight if you are blinded, albeit with disadvantage to the attack roll. Also, lesser restoration can cure blindness, go look it up.

If you go up against the avatar of a greater god, you better be prepared. You aren't going to fight this guy just for the hell of it, it is going to be the end point of an entire campaign where the party has been preparing for it and they will likely have items, spells, artifacts that help them fight this avatar.

neogod22

Explorer
No, I understand how it works. You can still fight if you are blinded, albeit with disadvantage to the attack roll. Also, lesser restoration can cure blindness, go look it up.

If you go up against the avatar of a greater god, you better be prepared. You aren't going to fight this guy just for the hell of it, it is going to be the end point of an entire campaign where the party has been preparing for it and they will likely have items, spells, artifacts that help them fight this avatar.
It's more than just disadvantage. You have to choose the square you think the creature is in, if he is not there (aka he was smart enough to move) you automatically miss. You can't cast spells because you can't target anything. Also, you give up advantage to all of his attacks. I'm not sure what your experience is in Dming or playing with high level characters, but no one wants to fight an unwinnable fight.

Remove ads