Elven Critfisher build

Gavin O.

First Post
Xanathar's guide to everything printed a feat for elves and half-elves called Elven Accuracy, which allows you to reroll one of the d20s you roll when you attack with advantage. If you have a way to attack with advantage every round as well as a way to crit on a roll of 19 or 20, your odds of landing a critical hit rocket up to about 30% (a little less than 6/20) This is my attempt to build a character around this feat.

Race: Wood Elf. I experimented with half-elf, but since Elven Accuracy only gives you a +1 to a stat of your choice and this build already needs 3 feats to work, I had to go with Wood elf for the natural +2 to Dexterity.
Ability scores (point buy)
13 Str (+1 mod)
15+2 Dex (+3 mod)
14 Con (+2 mod)
8 Int (-1 mod)
9+1 Wis (+0 mod)
13 Cha (+1 mod)

13 Strength and 13 Charisma are required for Paladin Multiclass, but sadly that’s basically all we’re using it for. 17 Dexterity at level 1 allows us to get to +4 modifier with the +1 dex bonus from Elven Accuracy, the remaining points go into Constitution for extra hit points. This build will be casting concentration spells and also be in melee, so we need all the Con we can get.

Background: Criminal (We’re a Dexterity Build, we want Stealth Proficiency.)

Fighter Skill proficiencies: Acrobatics and Insight (Being an Elf we get perception for free)

Final Class levels: Fighter(4)/Rogue(7)/Paladin(9)

We need four feats/ASI: Elven Accuracy, Mounted Combatant, Great Weapon Master, and 1 bump of +2 Dex

Level 1: Fighter(1)
We start as fighter in order to get proficiency in constitution saving throws
Fighting Style: Dueling
Weapons: Rapier and Shield
Armor: Light Armor
Level 2: Fighter(1)/Paladin(1)
Divine Sense, Lay on Hands
Level 3: Fighter(1)/Paladin(2)
Divine Smite, Spellcasting, Second Fighting Style: Defense
Level 4: Fighter(1)/Paladin(3)
Sacred Oath: Oath of vengeance
Level 5: Fighter(1)/Paladin(4)
New Feat: Elven Accuracy (+1 dex)
Level 6: Fighter(1)/Paladin(5)
Extra attack, and level 2 paladin spells, most importantly find steed
Level 7: Fighter(2)/Paladin(5)
Action Surge
Level 8: Fighter(3)/Paladin(5)
Martial Archetype: Champion (19-20 crits)
Level 9: Fighter(4)/Paladin(5)
New Feat: Mounted Combatant
Level 10: Fighter(4)/Paladin(5)/Rogue(1)
Bonus Skill, 1d6 sneak attack, Expertise (stealth and perception)
Level 11: Fighter(4)/Paladin(5)/Rogue(2)
Cunning Action
Level 12: Fighter(4)/Paladin(5)/Rogue(3)
Roguish Archetype: Assassin, sneak attack dice improves to 2d6
Level 13: Fighter(4)/Paladin(5)/Rogue(4)
Ability Score Increase: +2 Dexterity (total 20)
Level 14: Fighter(4)/Paladin(5)/Rogue(5)
Uncanny Dodge, Sneak attack dice improves to 3d6
Level 15: Fighter(4)/Paladin(6)/Rogue(5)
Aura of protection(+1 to saving throws)
Level 16: Fighter(4)/Paladin(7)/Rogue(5)
Relentless Avenger
Level 17: Fighter(4)/Paladin(8)/Rogue(5)
New Feat: Great Weapon Master(Which gives us a bonus action attack whenever we crit)
Level 18: fighter(4)/Paladin(9)/Rogue(5)
Third level Paladin spells (Haste)
Level 19: Fighter(4)/Paladin(9)/Rogue(6)
Expertise in two more skills (
Level 20: Fighter(4)/Paladin(9)/Rogue(7)
Evasion, Sneak attack dice improves to 4d6

With Mounted Combatant + Elven Accuracy, we get 3 d20 rolls for each attack, and thanks to the Champion Martial Archetype, we crit on a 19. With three attacks per round thanks to Extra Attack and Haste, we can crit almost every round.

The Second-level Paladin spell Find Steed gives us a free Mount, which we can resummon if it dies. The important thing is that the Mounted Combatant feat gives us advantage against any creature we hit in melee that's smaller than our mount. This is what lets us trigger Elven Accuracy every round.

Vow of Enmity is used in situations where Mounted Combatant wouldn’t give us advantage: being forced into ranged combat, against foes of size large or greater, and if we can’t use our mount. Our Roguish Archetype gives us automatic crits against surprised enemies.

Extra Attack + Haste + Great Weapon Master(assuming a crit) is four attacks per round, we get 4d6 sneak attack (doubled on crits) As well as up to level 3 divine smites. (also doubled on crits)

So what do you think? Does this build look viable? Does it look fun?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
EDIT: Welcome to ENWorld! Have some XP for posting.

That feels like it comes on very late - most campaigns I've been in reach the 10th to 12th level range, we're 75% or more through play by the time we reach 9th.

I've played around with this concept using Shield Master and shove prone to generate Advantage instead of Mounted combat, but had the same problems making it work at lower levels.

Barbarian seems a way to generate Advantage that comes on sooner, but only works with strength based melee attacks. I guess half-elf to pump STR by 1 could work. The good news is that Str-based melee can use weapons with larger dice, and Barbarian gets extra weapon dice on crits at higher levels. Samurai can also generate Advantage but that means no Champion fighter.

This might be one where party synergy is a good option. For example, play with a barbarian (wolf) for Advantage.

Sneak attack is only on one attack per round. It's the rather permissive DM that will let you troll all of your attacks, see if any are crits, and then apply it to that one. You can always roll in order and hold off if you roll just a normal hit, but then a miss could end up not applying it at all.

Divine Smite is nicer in that regard, enough so that levels of a pure caster to boost the number/damage of your Divine Smites might be a better choice. Sorcerer will stack caster levels, Warlock will give you a different set of slots that renew with short rests - both have their advantages.

Gavin O.

First Post
That feels like it comes on very late - most campaigns I've been in reach the 10th to 12th level range, we're 75% or more through play by the time we reach 9th.
Yeah, but I don't think it will get better than this. Since Elven Accuracy is a feat exclusive to a race that isn't variant human, and you pretty much require another feat to have always-on advantage, this will never come on earlier than level 8. It's not like this build is unplayable until then, you get 18 Dex at level 5 and you're only delaying your extra attack by one level.

Barbarian seems a way to generate Advantage that comes on sooner, but only works with strength based melee attacks. I guess half-elf to pump STR by 1 could work. The good news is that Str-based melee can use weapons with larger dice, and Barbarian gets extra weapon dice on crits at higher levels. Samurai can also generate Advantage but that means no Champion fighter.

Sadly, Elven accuracy doesn't apply to any attack rolls using Strength, so reckless attack doesn't work with it.

As for Sneak Attack, I think the best option is to save it for your last attack or until you get a crit. you're taking the best roll from 3d20, your odds of missing are extremely low.

mellored

Legend
Consider a warlock. They can get advantage reasonably easy, can use Cha with either eldrich blast or hexblade.

Hexblade/blade pact 3, with agonizing blast, devil's sight, and spamming darkness should cover mist situations. Or just hexblade 1 and rogue.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Consider the Samurai.
It's limited in number, but it's free advantage for a bonus action.
Or maybe Assassin.

Gavin O.

First Post
Consider a warlock. They can get advantage reasonably easy, can use Cha with either eldrich blast or hexblade.

Hexblade/blade pact 3, with agonizing blast, devil's sight, and spamming darkness should cover mist situations. Or just hexblade 1 and rogue.

Eldritch blast has a verbal component, so I'm pretty sure casting it stops you from being hidden, even in the area of Darkness. Hexblade looks really good though, if only to not require an attack-caliber Dex. Also allows us to wield a Greatsword and use the -5 to hit for +10 to damage feature of GWF. Probably going to drop Rogue for Warlock. Thanks.

Gavin O.

First Post
Consider the Samurai.
It's limited in number, but it's free advantage for a bonus action.
Or maybe Assassin.

Samurai is a fighter archetype and thus incompatible with Champion. (Champion is the only way I know of to have permanent expanded crit range) I already am an assassin.

Grue AC

First Post
Hexblade is probably best answer for crit-fishing. Can get advantage from either darkness combo or Find Familiar if tome.

Don't need fighter for expanded crit range either. Between Shadow Blade and curse you should have most combats covered.

Remove ads