Elven Fighter-Mage... what do I do???

Halivar

First Post
It's in the Hidden Lore web enhancement for Tome and Blood. Actually, this does, in fact, look much nicer than the TaB version, and I think I can perform some minor modifications to my concept to make it fit.

The character enjoys finery and asthetics. Perhaps he provides musical entertainment as prominent social functions? When somebody says, "All right, everyone, let's have a ding-dong!", he's the guys who jumps on the piano.

Yeah, I can make it work. Thanks for all the advice. d12 and E-B especially.

WattsHumphrey

First Post
I'd suggest trying to go for Spellsword if you're less than interested in Bladesinger. It's not that great of a class, but I like it.

You probably want to go light armor in the mean time (and at character creation) and either focus in long-lasting spells that you can cast while your armor is down, or protection spells to make up for the lack of armor in combat.

From there, using tactics can make life interesting with a fighter/mage. I'm especially fond of true strike/sunder, not that you couldn't be just as interested on focusing on tripping. Either way, if you focus buffs around a tactic, you should be better at it than most, and both sundering and tripping sounds more diplomatic than straight-out killing. (Unless you "carry a big stick" :) ).

Skaros

First Post
Halivar said:
d12, I think you on what I'm looking for.

While bards and rogue/wizards are very good for numbers, the concept itself is more like this:

An elven wizard-in-training has his whole family killed by a rival political group during a revolution. He joins with a underground rebellion and is trained as a guerilla fighter. He also works the social circles however, as the "political" arm of the rebellion.

This certainly, I feel, justifies the levels of rogue for all those nice skills. Also, the fact that he's a rebel fighter seems to fit well with roguishness. The wizard is in there because my original concept was a fighter-mage, and I'll cling to it no matter how nice a fighter-rogue looks.

As for the bladesinger; I'll admit, it's a very very nice PrC. It just doesn't fit the concept. I mean, my character may very well suck in usefulness without it, but I can't see this character singing and dancing. Very same reason I couldn't make him a bard.

But we'll see... the campaign hasn't started yet, and we'll see how this character develops...

PS: I think I may opt for the gray elf... +2 dex, int, -2 str, con... what do you guys think?

Rogue/Wizard is great. For guerilla fighting, you may also consider Ranger/Wizard. You'll have better BAB, and more wilderness oriented guerilla fighting feel to it.

Just a thought.

Skaros

d12

First Post
My existence is justified. I feel warm and fuzzy.

Please, please post your PC when you're done. Thanks.

Halivar

First Post
Here he is, well on his way to Bladesinger:

Cerililiaricér "Cerrick" Erialannis
Elven Div2/Ftr2 (necro opposed)
Alignment: CG

HPs: 2d4+2d10+8 = 31 (Got some good rolls)
Init: +8 (Hopefully, always get to cast shield before combat)
AC: 19 (+4 Dex, +5 armor) (Like E-B said, goes up to 28 after the first round)
Attacks: longsword(+1) +7 melee
Damage: longsword(+1) 1d8+3

Saves: Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +4
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 13 (Got the toad familiar; this is a 3e game)
Skills: Bluff +4(3.0), Concentration +6(4.0), Diplomacy +4(3.0), Perform(Dance) +2(1.0), Perform(Singing) +2(1.0), Perform(Lute) +2(1.0), Tumble +7(3.0) (I now have all the skills needed for Bladesinger; now I can concentrate on diplomatic stuff)
Feats: Dodge, Improved Initiative, Stll Spell, Weapon Focus (Longsword) (Now I only need Expertise and Combat Casting at lvl 6)

Equipment is as E-B specified, except I may dump some stuff to make room for love potions (I envision my character using them with regularity).

If anybody wants me to post my 2-page character write-up, I can.

Last edited:

Remove ads