Elysium Squad IC

Nonlethal Force

First Post
The bee shoots downward into the side tunnel, responding to Cassient's initial call to attack any enemies it might come across. As the party nears the tunnel, the following one-sided conversation can be heard. It sounds as though the voice speaks to itself.

"Hmmm. This one is tasty. Mmmm. Yes indeed, tasty. It appears I have indeed found a good selection of ..."

There is a pause as the sound of the bee's wings gets further away down the tunnel.

"Of all the frantic and ferral gods and goddesses of nature! Get away from me you foul yellow-bellied insect!"

The sound of the bees' wings draw closer as if the bee flies by once more for a second pass, this time flying toward the tunnel entrance and the party.

"Dear almighty supreme powers of gargantuan monstrocities! Ouch! By all means, if I catch you ... you ... thousand eyed vermin so help me I'll eat you too! I'll teach you to interrupt a dinner of grubs and spiders and centipedes!"

Turning the corner, the party is confronted by a sight that most likely is not what they anticipated. Sitting on the floor, with its paws and mouth smeared with what can only be described as gooey insect remains, is a badger. And the badger appears to be having quite an extraordinary time trying to fend off the aerial assault. As if to prove a point to the unbeliever, the badger speaks in front of the party before it realizes that the party is standing there. "Come here you overgrown wasp wanna-be! Come a little closer and I'll show you why badgers are feared as much as wolverines!"

Fenris

Adventurer
"Cassient, I don't think he is much of a threat, maybe you ought to call the bee off?" then louder "Good day Badger! Sorry to have disturbed your meal. We didn't know you were there. We mean you no harm." calls out Yavarin to the annoyed mustelid. Yavarin will keep and ear and an eye towards the main tunnel since that was where the bolt of energy came from.

Eluvan

First Post
Cassient, thoroughly amazed by this talking badger and its rather preposterous demeanour, has to stifle a laugh as he calls out in the language of the Upper Planes "<Enough, friend! Thankyou, but be still, this one is no enemy!>" As he does so he puts his palms out in a placating gesture, though it is unclear whether he intends to soothe the badger or the bee. He knows that the bee is only semi-intelligent, and does not precisely comprehend his words, but he feels sure that it will get enough of the message to cease in its harrassment of the poor creature.

As the bee backs off and lands a safe distance away from the badger, Cassient approaches and makes a humble bow. "My sincerest apologies, good sir. I fear that it is my fault your meal has been interrupted. I fully intend to compensate you for the annoyance and inconvenience, but please - I beg you, step back into the tunnel for a moment. We have recently been attacked, and I believe our foe may well still be in the area. It would not do for you to be caught in the crossfire." Cassient makes enough eye contact with the creature to be polite, but all the while he has one vigilant eye on the tunnel ahead, wary of further aggression.

engrishonly

First Post
Though inwardly enthralled by the strange badger-fellow, having never seen such a thing before, Eva eyes the creature warily... her crystal blue eyes focused squarely on the badger's chest as if concentrating on a target. The tip of her spear may not be pointed at the beast, but she is ready to throw the spear at the first opportunity... visualizing a spear in flight/striking a target in her mind's eye.

She stays relatively quiet to keep her ears alert to any warning sounds from her comrades.

Eva mutters quietly, "Some den of evil this is... I try to do Pelor's will, and all I get are badgers."

Nonlethal Force

First Post
The badger's face pans into utter shock as he hears the party speak to him before he realized they were there. In astonishment he adds, "Well, of all the ... " He sniffs the air for a few seconds.

"I should have known something was up. You all reek of being cleaned recently. You have a much unnatural odor about you. I can smell your cleanliness from ... ahh, well. It matters not really."

The badger wrinkles his brow for a moment and continues, "I don't beleive that anyone has been by here for some time. I found this big old rock here - and a rather robust treasure trove of insects living underneath it! You wouldn't believe the size of the grubs that I - wait ... hold a minute ..."

His front paws jabs out to the ground and his claws scoop up a plump green grub. He begins to motion it to his mouth before he adds, "Aw, now that's rightfully rude of me. Would any of you care to sample?"

As he awaits a response he continues in what feels like an absent-minded ramble. "But it took me a while here to move this big old rock and then to get underneath it was something fierce. But after nearly a good long while I managed to settle myself up to this feast set before me. But I've been here a good long time and nobody's been this way as long as I've been here. Of course - there was that flash of light a few moments ago."

He sniffs the air. "If you trust my nose I can tell you all what's further down the tunnel."

General Map:
[Sblock]
Here is a vague map of the intersection: As it is, the party was heading along the main tunnel "up the screen." The B is the Badger's position, and the P is approximately the Party's position - although I realize the whole party cannot fit in one square.
Code:
  |  |
  |  |
--|  |
     |
B  P |
--|  |
  |  |

Yavarin:
[Sblock]Yavarin would know that the parth through the mountain is straight ahead, not down the badger's side tunnel.[/Sblock]
[/Sblock]

Last edited:

Fenris

Adventurer
Yavarin shushes Eva and will move forward to accept the badger's offer and select a juicy grub to eat. As he slurps it down, Yaravin will again address the badger. "Friend badger, do you have a name that we may call you? We would be most interested to know what it is that your nose can tell us of the other tunnel."

Nonlethal Force

First Post
The badger looks astounded at Yavarin as he slurps down the grub. "Well, that I'd not have guesed." Impressed, he uses his claw to root around and scrape up the surface dirt to reveal more grubs. He then extends out his paw to the rest of the party in case they might also like to dine on plump green grubs.

As he roots, he adds, "My former master - destroyer of the world as she was - called me Shorttooth. I suppose that is my name. She made me more than a simple badger, I suppose she has the right to name me."

Eluvan

First Post
Cassient politely holds up a hand, declining to sample a grub. He is still somewhat distracted by the possible threat down the main tunnel, but he must admit to a fascination with the badger. As he speaks of his former master, something clicks into place in Cassient's mind and the whole thing begins to seem to make a little more sense to him. Of course, he thinks to himself. Awakened by this master he speaks of, no doubt. I should have realised sooner. He says nothing though, allowing the badger to tell the story as he wishes. No reason to butt in.

Despite his interest, Cassient still rather wishes that his companions would save this conversation for a time when they are not potentially in peril of their lives. He is too polite to interrupt, especially since he's not even sure there's anything much any of them can do until the enemy shows itself once more. Still, much of his attention is turned outwards and he remains ready to retaliate swiftly to any aggression.

OOC:
[sblock]Another post, another liberty taken. Hope you don't mind; I assumed that Spellcraft +11 was enough to take 10 and know of the Awaken spell. If you disagree, let me know and I'll edit in a jiffy.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads