Empire of the River God OOC

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Ghostknight said:
Hosa and the Empire have an uneasy peace.
GK, are you wanting us to be all from the same area or does it not matter? :)

Ghostknight said:
Hosa is governed in much the same way as the Empire but tends to be more rough around the edges, similar customs exist in both, but the ones in the empire tend to be more elaborate and time consuming.
GFA, I'm not to concerned about which country we are from, the Empire's long drawn out customs would make my guy nearly insane in annoyance. (Though he will hide is feels well enough) In Hosa, he probably wouldn't be as frowned upon... :)

GK, one more question or more likely an FYI, I'm looking at probably some sort of noble, the rogue class, probably CG, who’s probably had “face” issues in his past, but tries to behave himself out of love and respect for his family. Is this fine with you? (I went rogue simply cause none of the more oriental classes made sense, its not a pure fighter so GFA character should be able to outshine him in combat, does this sound good? (Be honest.)

GK, if you like the above how do you feel about the rogue variant from unearthed arcane that has no sneak attack and instead gets fighter feats? (Not sure how much sneak attack would be frowned upon in a game of honor so I figured I should ask before it was an issue)

Ghostknight

First Post
Brother Shatterstone said:
GK, are you wanting us to be all from the same area or does it not matter? :)

It does not really matter - but since you will be starting in the Empire (Unless everyone comes from Hosa), you would need a reason to be there - but it would explain why you are there with a body guard (if you and Goddess are linking back stories)

GK, one more question or more likely an FYI, I'm looking at probably some sort of noble, the rogue class, probably CG, who’s probably had “face” issues in his past, but tries to behave himself out of love and respect for his family. Is this fine with you? (I went rogue simply cause none of the more oriental classes made sense, its not a pure fighter so GFA character should be able to outshine him in combat, does this sound good? (Be honest.)

GK, if you like the above how do you feel about the rogue variant from unearthed arcane that has no sneak attack and instead gets fighter feats? (Not sure how much sneak attack would be frowned upon in a game of honor so I figured I should ask before it was an issue)

I am happy with the UA variant - while you get the fighter feats, you don't have the HP, BAB and weapon proficiencies, but his is covered by extra skill points. It does make sense that a noble "rogue" would not use sneak attack (not necessarily wrong if just seen as getting attacks in to vulnerable locations/nerve junctions etc). But I would like to see some perform/craft skill as for any other noble - it would be part of your childhood education.

Goddess- as for your concept - it is fine - "undercover" bodyguards fit in well to an oriental campaign, but would have a lower class background, so as not to be concerned with the lack of honor in hiding ones abilities, especially as a geisha. Also not that being a geisha is not a dshonourable thing. They are seen as fulfilling a necessary function in society - many noblemen would visit "Floating cities" regularly, even with their wives knowledge. A geisha is seen as an outlet where the man can reveal himself even in ways he could not to his wife. As such a geisha is trained as a conversationalist/comforter/poetess/artist etc to provide succour to her clients. As such to pose as a Geisha you would need a least surface knowledge of these aspects and courtly behavior.

For all here is a new skill that is available to all characters as a class skill

Knowledge(Civilised behavior) (Intelligence) This skill covers the basics of how to act in society. It gives knowledge of the correct modes of dress/customs/behaviors for all daily behaviors.
Synergy: +2 bonus to Knowledge(Local) if you posses five or more ranks in this skill. Knowledge (Local) provides a +2 synergy bonus to this skill if you possess five or more ranks.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Ok, I believe I am going to go as a samurai. I will be a female samurai of Dragon clan, unless you are enforcing gender rolls, in which case I will be male.

Also, Ghostknight, could you check the Planetouched Peril IC thread? Thanks.

Ghostknight said:
Goddess- as for your concept - it is fine - "undercover" bodyguards fit in well to an oriental campaign, but would have a lower class background, so as not to be concerned with the lack of honor in hiding ones abilities, especially as a geisha. Also not that being a geisha is not a dshonourable thing. They are seen as fulfilling a necessary function in society - many noblemen would visit "Floating cities" regularly, even with their wives knowledge. A geisha is seen as an outlet where the man can reveal himself even in ways he could not to his wife. As such a geisha is trained as a conversationalist/comforter/poetess/artist etc to provide succour to her clients. As such to pose as a Geisha you would need a least surface knowledge of these aspects and courtly behavior.
That is pretty much what my concept was :) Geishas were often highly educated (for someone not of the noble caste), and I was thinking of taking at least one perform skill (probably singing), as well as a craft skill (painting or calligraphy). Now, just the problem of getting enough skill points...

Also, if I have enough ranks in the new knowledge skill, would it be possible for me to get a bonus on acting "in character" in my disguise check?

Bro - that sounds great for background. I could have easily been sent along by your family to 'protect' you.

Last edited:

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Goddess FallenAngel said:
Now, just the problem of getting enough skill points...

Yeah, this game seems like it needs alot of skill points... :\

GK, what if we bumped the skill points up a bit for each class, like by increasing the base number by one would give an addition 11 points. (It's just an idea. :)

Bro - that sounds great for background. I could have easily been sent along by your family to 'protect' you.
Very true, and your geisha heritage would make others see you as anything but a bodyguard. :)

Someone

Adventurer
So far I like what I´ve seen a lot. I´ll work on a character concept; right now it´s shaping like a monk, but that will likely change.

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Isida Kep'Tukari said:
Ok, I believe I am going to go as a samurai. I will be a female samurai of Dragon clan, unless you are enforcing gender rolls, in which case I will be male.

Not sure if I get a day in this but I would rather see everyone play what they want to, including gender. I say we limit gender rolls to at least after character creation. :)

:lol:
(and then we can put women in there rightful spot...) Just Kidding btw
:lol:

GFA, did you give any thought for how long your characters been a thorn in my characters side? :)

Last edited:

I think she meant gender roles as in the fact that women generally were not trained as samurai - although sometimes women in samurai familes were trained in use of the naginata. ;)

GFA, did you give any thought for how long your characters been a thorn in my characters side? :)
Let's say for as long as you have been 'adventuring' - basically, I was sent with you when you left home on trips. Most likely, I have been trained since I was a child, with the final purpose of becoming the personal bodyguard to one of the scions of the family. Perhaps you were the first-born son (thus warrenting the need for a body-guard)?

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
I think she meant gender roles as in the fact that women generally were not trained as samurai.

True enough, then again in medieval England where not normally trained as knights yet in “normal” D%D there are no limits upon the gender of the character so I don't see the need for fallowing that custom. :)

Let's say for as long as you have been 'adventuring' - basically, I was sent with you when you left home on trips.
Works for me, but if you've been a thorn in his side for that long he's probably use to that irritation... So does that mean our two characters are friends and such?

Perhaps you were the first-born son (thus warrenting the need for a body-guard)?
I don't see this guy as being a first-born son... I don't know the culture that well but I imagine that some of the responsibility is lost the farther you go down the food chain. (I was thinking second son or maybe the third.)

Remove ads