• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Empire of the River God OOC

Ghostknight

First Post
rangerjohn said:
Two questions, is there a change to sohei in Complete Divine, and can ijutsu focus be used with the naginata?

They suggest the naginata as a weapon, and ijutsu focus is a class skill, but can they be used together?

Well, while on the surface I would balk at a pole arm being "drawn" for combat - rules wise there is no reason to disallow it and this could easily be interpreted as "getting the weapon into a ready position for attack" rather than a literal "drawing of a weapon from a scabbard" - the more traditional view of iajutsu.

So yep, I would say that there is no reason to disallow a naginata being used as a weapon with iajutsu focus, especially for a Sohei (the fact that a naginata cannot be used with adjacent foes but only with foes at a distance may be a bit of a problem though :) )

As for there being any changes - well somebody with the book will need to let us know! (And then provide us with details of the changes!)

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Paxus Asclepius said:
Brother Shatterstone, o ye of the mighty scanner, might I beg you to send me the wu jen class and any feats important for an arcane spellcaster from the book?
Sure, I can probably do that but you need to grovel first... So start and I'll let you know when I seen enough. I’ll need to see if I can find your email address also... ;)

(FYI: I'm not seeing anything for magical feats except create crystal weapon and crate talisman... Someone correct me if I’m wrong.)

Goddess FallenAngel said:
Bro, I am glad that you are feeling better. :) Go home and rest for a change.... ;)

I'm home now and I promise I’ll take it easy. :)

GK, hey I have my own silly question I'm not seeing any rules for special materials in arms and weapons so I'm I right to believe that the materials in the DMG are available?

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
rangerjohn said:
Two questions, is there a change to sohei in Complete Divine, and can ijutsu focus be used with the naginata?

They suggest the naginata as a weapon, and ijutsu focus is a class skill, but can they be used together?

As I recall, Iajutsu Focus requires the weapon to have been drawn that round; I don't see that a naginata can be drawn at all, as it's a polearm.

rangerjohn

Explorer
While its up to GK about the DMG materials, that will figure into DR. Also, there are two new materials in the magic item section. Jade and obsidian, although it says there is a chance of obsidian being cursed. 30% if I recall correctly.

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
rangerjohn said:
While its up to GK about the DMG materials, that will figure into DR.
How so? We're running with 3.5's damage reduction... ;) (GK, will you confirm that also?)

Also I'm more interested in Mithral. :)

rangerjohn said:
Also, there are two new materials in the magic item section. Jade and obsidian, although it says there is a chance of obsidian being cursed. 30% if I recall correctly.
Indeed it is 30% and thanks I had missed them to be completely honest. :)

PA, I sent your class in good faith of future groveling so check you in box. :)

Edit: Was there anything else I needed to scan..? :\ Or did that get taken care off?

Last edited:

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
Hmm. The wu jen is rather too anti-social and mystic for my character concept. I think I'll have to go with a wizard, then. My core personality concept is something on the lines of Face is gold, pretty but useless. Duty is iron, strong and unyielding.

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
If not, there's the sorceror; perhaps the battle sorceror from Unearthed Arcana? Also, how would you feel about the Signature Spell feat from FR? If you don't have the book, it requires Spell Mastery, and allows the caster to convert a spell of at least level X into a single spell, chosen at the time of taking the feat, of level X. I'd likely use it for Dispel Magic.

Remove ads