• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Empire of the River God OOC

Ghostknight

First Post
Brother Shatterstone said:
Slightly off topic... (sorry all)

GFA, yeah I’m fine I just got back from medical... No concussion, I told you I was hard headed. :cool:

On a side note it looks like my earthlink email is down so if you need me for background information either this thread or… firstname.lastname@navy.mil

obviously use my first name and my last name. ;)

Umm, hope you are Ok, but having a hard head can be useful :lol:

Ghostknight said:
Hmm, the problem is, unless you have been adopted by the Crab I don't see why they would have trained you as a Daidoji bodyguard. Fostering of children between clans/families would be fairly common, but it would be difficult to see a clan revealing there secret training to non-clan members (my view of the clan specific prestige classes). Also, if Bro's character is a Crane noble - why would they trust a Scorpion with his life? So I will OK this IF the background is such that you have abandoned all ties to the Scorpion clan and have been adopted into the Crane clan.
Actually, the Daidoji Bodyguard is in the Crane Clan, not the Crab. :) The Crab is the Hida Defender (unless they have updated the Clans in another source?)

I don't have the complete history written yet, but what I was thinking is this:
Disillusioned over her Clan's dishonor (their exile), and even more so by her family name (since her immediate family did not return from exile, and her extended family did not think her worthwhile enough to reclaim) she abandons the household of the Crane family who had fostered her for several years. At this point, she abandons her family name and sells herself into a binding contract in a Floating City as a geisha. She takes the name "Cherry Blossom" - Sakura.

After two years of living in self-imposed disgrace, Sakura receives a visitor from a Crane family household. He says he knows her history and offers to buy out her contract, if she will live in the household and train as a bodyguard for one of the family's sons. He says that her skill with the warfan, combined with her ability to act as a geisha would add up to be the perfect undercover bodyguard. His own second wife was an abandoned woman of the Scorpian Clan.

And, he said that if she performed well as a bodyguard - she could gain honor in the Crane Clan. But, she would have to foreswear all ties to her Clan of birth and swear allegience to the Crane.

The references to interactions between the two Clans are from the book. I just thought that it would be a neat background - I can still go the original way, if you would prefer. :)

Ghostknight

First Post
Goddess FallenAngel said:
Actually, the Daidoji Bodyguard is in the Crane Clan, not the Crab. :) The Crab is the Hida Defender (unless they have updated the Clans in another source?)

Aargh, I thought I had fixed al my references to Crab (Initially all the Crane references were to Crab - evidently I missed one in my edit :heh:

As for the background - that is fine. As I said, if the background worked I was happy, I just did not want the rather perplexing idea of the Crane clan trusting a noble to Scorpion bodyguard after training theScorpion in a speciality area of theirs!

But the history you have posited makes sense, so go ahead and use it!

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Ghostknight said:
Umm, hope you are Ok, but having a hard head can be useful :lol:
It has its moments... ;)

Its nothing to server, I was playing basketball on lunch yesterday and I took a charge from another big guy. (I’m 6’4 240 lbs. and he’s 6’5 240 lbs.) Anyhow, everything would have been just fine except for one of my other coworkers sort of pushed the guy into me and his shoulder hit my face and it sent my glasses into the bridge of my nose and then up my forehead.

I have a 2-inch bruise up the front of my face where the nose rest of my glasses went. I also have some swelling in my forehead and around my eyes which has left me with a headache and photosensitive to light.

Goddess FallenAngel said:
The references to interactions between the two Clans are from the book. I just thought that it would be a neat background.

I think it's a neat and interesting background also, so you have my approval. :)

Last edited:

Ghostknight

First Post
It has its moments... ;)

Its nothing to server, I was playing basketball on lunch yesterday and I took a charge from another big guy. (I’m 6’4 240 lbs. and he’s 6’5 240 lbs.) Anyhow, everything would have been just fine except for one of my other coworkers sort of pushed the guy into me and his shoulder hit my face and it sent my glasses into the bridge of my nose and then up my forehead.

I have a 2-inch bruise up the front of my face where the nose rest of my glasses went. I also have some swelling in my forehead and around my eyes which has left me with a headache and photosensitive to light.

You know, getting my glasses punched/kicked/elbowed etc into my face during sparring is waht got me to change to contact lenses for training :D

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Ghostknight said:
You know, getting my glasses punched/kicked/elbowed etc into my face during sparring is waht got me to change to contact lenses for training :D
Sadly I don't like anything in my eyes, from plain water, eye drops, and or contacts... I did try once, and I managed to get one contact in after about 3 hours of struggling...

I could get my eyes fixed free with that laser eye surgery but I have no desire to have my eye buffed and then burned with a laser... :)

Ghostknight

First Post
Sadly I don't like anything in my eyes, from plain water, eye drops, and or contacts... I did try once, and I managed to get one contact in after about 3 hours of struggling...

I could get my eyes fixed free with that laser eye surgery but I have no desire to have my eye buffed and then burned with a laser... :)

Contact lenses take a while to get used to. When I first started it took a long time to get them in, and i couldn;t wear them for more than a few minutes at a time. Then I started wearing them all the time over around two months of getting used to them.

Then i started working - the air conditioning in the offices tends to make them uncomfortable to wear so i now only wear them for training etc.

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
I've got a confession to make: I appear to have misplaced my OA book. Brother Shatterstone, o ye of the mighty scanner, might I beg you to send me the wu jen class and any feats important for an arcane spellcaster from the book? I should be able to find my book soon, but I don't want to hold the game up any longer.

rangerjohn

Explorer
Two questions, is there a change to sohei in Complete Divine, and can ijutsu focus be used with the naginata?

They suggest the naginata as a weapon, and ijutsu focus is a class skill, but can they be used together?

Remove ads