• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

EN World Fantasy Basketball Sign Up - 2008

loki44

Explorer
Just got Mistwell's PM.

Ragnarok is back for the 3-peat!

Edit: Just signed up. I'm assuming you'll set the draft date once the league is full. Also, in Mistwell's PM he mentioned that TOs has been removed as a category. Looks like they're still there, which is fine with me. Can you clarify?

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Yeah I am unclear on whether we decided to leave TOs in or out (the discussion was in a prior thread I think).

Also, for additional reference for any new folks who stop by:

What this is all about.

Every year since 2002 EnWorld and/or CircvsMaxmivs users get together to play fantasy basketball online (for free) by putting together fictional teams (based on real-world stats) of players to compete against each other (in rankings, not by playing directly against each other).

You do not have to know much about basketball, you just have to be willing to learn, take chances, and have fun. The setup includes a message board, where people will be more than happy to offer advice to newcomers, and talk trash with veterans.

How it works (mostly borrowed from the ESPN Fantasy description): The first order of business in creating any fantasy league is collecting its members. As "team owners," these individuals draft real-life, professional players to be members of their respective teams. The statistics these players generate in their real games are collected, and fantasy points are awarded based on these numbers -- the better a player performs, the more fantasy points he accrues for his owner's team. In fantasy basketball, these points determine a winner in a rotisserie manner. The team that accumulates the most points or victories over the course of the season is declared the League Winner.

Fantasy Basketball is the closest thing you can find to buying your own franchise and becoming the team's manager, owner, and president all in one. All decisions are yours to make. Each team owner is supplied with all of the tools -- multiple draft methods, unlimited waivers and trades, free agency, an all-empowering commissioner, chat rooms, league bulletin boards, sortable stats for all players, etc. -- everything needed to build a team in the best manner possible.

Statistical reports, expert analysis, and up-to-date feature articles are readily available to keep owners informed. Armed with this information, owners are free to create the team of their dreams. To win, an owner has to be crafty, as each team competes directly with other owners who are equally determined to come out on top.

Like the race for the final NBA playoff spot, in rotisserie basketball the league champ could be determined on the very last day of the season. Regardless of your regular season record, your team is guaranteed to play in every week of the NBA season.

How much time does it take? Not much time at all. You can set up which player's you want to play when about 4-5 days in advance. If you don't want to, you don't have to change it again until the end of that period, and if you forget, it won't kill you. Players will continue to play in whatever slots you set them in, however it just means that you won't have other players filling in on days off.

For example, if you have player X set to the Point Guard position, and you don't change it, and X only plays 2 games that week, the other days of that week will have nobody getting points for the point guard position. That won't kill you, since you don't need someone playing every single position every day (in fact there is a maximum number of games each position can play before you stop earning points for that position), but if it becomes a long-term issue it will cost you points. That means basically you have to fiddle with things about 1-2 times a week. But each time it can take as little as 5 minutes to change things around. The longest time commitment is how long the season goes...which is of course matched by the real-world basketball season. So, this will go on until about mid-April I believe.

So, join on in! All you have to do is say "I'm in", and come up with a fictional name for your fictional team composed of real-life players to start.

And again, honestly, you don't have to know what you are doing. We will give you advice, and it won't take long to figure things out. You just have to have at least some interest in basketball, and be willing to interact with your fellow EnWorlders/CricvsMaximvs'ers and play for this years basketball season online.

So, who is in? Who wants to hear more? Any questions? Comments? Concerns?

Black Omega

First Post
To clarify. I considered taking out TOs and tossed out the idea on the previous thread. But there was no real consensus for or against so I left them in. I prefer not to make changes unless most people support them.

I personally dislike TOs, they are a negative catagory you want to mediocrely or worse in. Winning in TOs inevitably means you team is doing poorly. But that's just my opinion.:)

Draft day will be set when the league is set. Though time is really flying this year. The regular season starts in only a week. I'd practically have to set the draft day for Monday to get it in before the season starts.

And thanks to Mist for sending out the PMs!

Mistwell

To clarify. I considered taking out TOs and tossed out the idea on the previous thread. But there was no real consensus for or against so I left them in. I prefer not to make changes unless most people support them.

I personally dislike TOs, they are a negative catagory you want to mediocrely or worse in. Winning in TOs inevitably means you team is doing poorly. But that's just my opinion.:)

Draft day will be set when the league is set. Though time is really flying this year. The regular season starts in only a week. I'd practically have to set the draft day for Monday to get it in before the season starts.

And thanks to Mist for sending out the PMs!

We really need to drum four more players up FAST if this league is going to succeed this year! I've tried to PM people and posted over at CircvsMaximvs, but we do not seem to have as much support this year for some reason. Odd...given it's been going since 2002 without much trouble.

Bront

The man with the probe
I'm in. First time since '98, so should be interesting.

TOs don't bother me as a stat. It's an odd stat, but it does make you think about a few players. Some players just turn the ball over too much, and this means you have to value them accordingly.

I make #7, would be nice to have 8.

Last edited:

Black Omega

First Post
I'm in. First time since '98, so should be interesting.

TOs don't bother me as a stat. It's an odd stat, but it does make you think about a few players. Some players just turn the ball over too much, and this means you have to value them accordingly.

I make #7, would be nice to have 8.

I know. I ran it past some people at my work, but they are only football fans. I don't play in any other fantasy leagues so can't advertise there. This has been our worst year for people joining so far. Last year went pretty fast.

Mistwell

I know. I ran it past some people at my work, but they are only football fans. I don't play in any other fantasy leagues so can't advertise there. This has been our worst year for people joining so far. Last year went pretty fast.

I think it's because, with the 4e change-over, usership from prior years is different. New people are not aware of the game, and some older users are not hanging out at EnWorld as much as they used to.

Well, shall we start the game as-is with this many players? Isn't today basically the drop dead deadline for starting?

Remove ads