EN World Picnic In The Park - Saturday (9am-4pm) [Updated 7/25/06]

FickleGM

Explorer
*UPDATE* *UPDATE* *UPDATE*

Please review the following updates and let me know if you have any questions, concerns or issues:

• Park - Military Park, (nothing is currently listed on their events calendar for that day) a little over a mile from the Hyatt and Embassy, a little over 1.5 miles from the Westin Sidereal Knight corrected me on the distance, as it isn't that far - the distance I looked at assumed driving, including one-way streets going the other way first.
  • Time - Saturday, August 12, 2006 from 9:00am until 4:00pm (come when you want, stay as long as you want)
  • Attendees - We currently have 20 people who have shown interest in attending. PLEASE RESPOND IN THIS THREAD IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON ATTENDING, SO THAT I WILL HAVE AS ACCURATE A COUNT AS POSSIBLE
  • Consumables - Bread, sandwich meat, chips, water and soda will be available.
  • Activities - At the very least, a frisbee will be available. I am running a pick-up game from 9am-1pm at the picnic (One Opening Left). People are encouraged to run a pick-up game, bring cards or a board game and play, bring other equipment (balls or whatnot) to play with.
  • Cost - If you'd like to donate a few dollars to the cause, it would be appreciated, but is not required.
  • Contingency - A contingency plan will be developed on-site at GenCon, as I will need to scope out the area for a suitable location.
  • Tasks - I have need for volunteers to perform the following tasks:
  1. Communications Guy/Gal - Someone to communicate with the Ennies booth, so that people will have a place to learn the status of the picnic. This person does not need to be working the booth (but should either provide me with his/her cell phone number so that I can reach him/her or perhaps can borrow my cell phone (can be split up to cover the time)).
  2. Assistant Guy/Gal - Someone to assist where necessary. Basically, this person would help me to keep things moving. Direct people to where the consumables are, grab a frisbee and play catch with Stebbins if he looks bored, get stuff if necessary (can be split up to cover the time).
  3. Cleanup Guy/Gal - Someone to help cleanup at the end of the picnic. The picnic will end at 4pm or earlier if nobody is left attending (only needed after 2pm).

FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS:
  • Time - Should this be changed to better accomodate people (perhaps Sunday morning would work better next year)?
  • Events - Should we do anything specific games? Should we add prizes?
  • Feedback - Was it worth your time? Did you notice anything that I could have done better?
  • Miscellaneous - Do you have any other comments?

*END OF UPDATE* *END OF UPDATE* *END OF UPDATE*

The purpose of this thread is to gauge interest in a Saturday picnic (barring bad weather, of course) at a nearby park. The location is as of yet unknown, but I hope to locate a few alternatives in the case that one or more are busy.

Possible Picnic Goers
  1. FickleGM*
  2. MrsFickleGM
  3. DaveStebbins (?)
  4. Sidereal Knight (I'm not sure if your post was just for logistics or if you are interested in attending)
  5. reveal*
  6. Seanaci
  7. Xath
  8. Dire Wolf
  9. Queenie122
  10. Crothian
  11. Ethernaut*
  12. Steve Jung
  13. Cthulhu's Librarian
  14. JediSoth
  15. Piratecat
  16. Rel
  17. Quartermoon (sorry, I told ;) )
  18. nakia*
  19. Fett527
  20. Fett527's +1(?)
  21. Ds Da Man*
  22. jcfiala
  23. jcfiala's wife(?)
  24. Seri(?)
  25. Seri+1(?)
  26. Seri+2(?)
  27. Seri+3(?)
  28. Seri+4(?)
  29. Boz(?)
  30. Mrs. Boz(?)
  31. Seonaid*

* Participating in - D&D - Heroes For Sale! SOLD! (9am - 1pm)

I realize that some people aren't as fond of the outdoors (especially during the summer in Indy) and it isn't a problem if you do not want to take part. I also realize that there are still things going, like the booth, seminars, games, etc.

With all of this in mind, here is my current idea (I am deviating from my previous idea of a longer timeline in that I think that a shorter gathering will work better sticking with the idea of a longer timeline, since I'll be starting my game early):

• Prior to 9am on Saturday, I locate a space that will accomodate us (with the help of the natives).
  • From 9am to 4 pm (or everyone leaves), I will hang out in the park.
  • At 4pm or when we call it quits, anyone still around can help clean up and head back to the convention center.

Activities can include:

• Chips, sandwiches, soda - I'll supply some stuff, but feel free to bring your own (I'm not going to specify anything else, of course) ;)
  • Outdoor activities - plenty of stores around to get frisbees, football, etc. (I'll bring at least a frisbee, if nothing else)
  • Games - cards, dice, rpgs - there will be enough time for a scheduled game if you want to do some outdoor roleplaying
  • Socialize - just hang out, come late, leave early

Considerations:

• Location - the closer the better
  • Attendees - to better know how much space we will require
  • Food and Drink - for the most part, this will be a bring your own, but obviously people can coordinate to get supplies
  • Sunscreen - very important to avoid sunburns
  • Schedule - for any games so that people know who is doing what (only necessary for games that need a list of participants, such as a roleplaying game)

This is what I have so far. What I am looking for now is an indication of how interested people are, recommendations and opinions. If this looks feasible, I will start a signup.

Well, that's all for now...

Last edited:

Sidereal Knight

First Post
As an Indy resident, I would be glad to help with logistics.

Re: location

There aren't many options within easy walking distance from the Convention Center. The closest real park (Military Park) is about three blocks north of the Convention Center's northwest corner. It has open areas, mature trees, and a shelter with tables.
http://www.indy.org/indianapolis/we...8089454:militarypark:showhide&x=1147532917644
Indianapolis: What To Do said:
Toss a Frisbee, walk your dog, or simply settle into the grass in this 14-acre green space bordering the IUPUI campus. Although it was a Civil War encampment and home to the first state fair, the park drew its name from its shape-like a military badge. The park is home to many festivals and Indy JazzFest annually.
It is also close to the Museums and Canal Walk.

The downside to this location is that it is frequently used for festivals and other events, although nothing is listed for August on the web site above.

Last edited:

Seanaci

First Post
That sounds like it might be fun. I'll post a link to this thread over on the GoG boards and see what they think. After 2 days of being inside with soooo many people, I think it might be nice to get out and get some fresh air for a bit.

Also, might I suggest, if people have loads of games scheduled for Saturday and might not be up to this on Saturday, perhaps try for Sunday? Not sure how many people fly out on Sunday, but, it's just a suggestion.

Last edited:

FickleGM

Explorer
Seanaci said:
That sounds like it might be fun. I'll post a link to this thread over on the GoG boards and see what they think. After 2 days of being inside with soooo many people, I think it might be nice to get out and get some fresh air for a bit.

Also, might I suggest, if people have loads of games scheduled for Saturday and might not be up to this on Saturday, perhaps try for Sunday? Not sure how many people fly out on Sunday, but, it's just a suggestion.

What is GoG (I can't think of anything - hopefully it's not too obvious ;))? Anyway, that is a good suggestion. I know that I will be busy on Sunday (packing, playing in Alenda's game, helping tear down the booth, leaving), so I will not be able to coordinate a Sunday picnic.

I am also hoping that people who have scheduled activities understand that it's okay to stop by any time between 12 and 4. Like I said, come late and leave early if you need to. The costume contest that Xath mentioned is a perfect example of an event that will be a consideration for many people.

Also, if you are running an EN World game during that span, I would encourage you to consider running it at the park.

Dire Wolf

First Post
I am interested but would be one of the people showing up late as I have a game scheduled until 2:00. I would be willing to bring some quick easy games to demo/play.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
I can't say for sure right now if I can make it. But I think that Rob is busy earlier in the day and I can probably stop by with Bella. I would like to make it and will try. :)

Remove ads