• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Endurance

vagabundo

Adventurer
Stalker0 said:
Man, these sound like they were designed for jedi!! An average person goes 30 hours without water, 10 days without food, swims for a solid hour before making checks!!

This is true, you would be surprised what people can survive when they have too, even "normal" people nevermind heroes.

Discovery is your friend:A walker got lost in New York state and survived 55 days without much/any food and very little water, he finally died of exposure. Endurance!!

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Well there is that Rule of Three, where a average generalization is:

1. Humans cannot survive more than three minutes without air (O2)
2. Humans cannot survive more than three hours exposed to extreme low-temperature
3. Humans cannot survive more than three days without water (H20)
4. Humans cannot survive more than three weeks without food

med stud

First Post
Besides, this is a fantasy RPG. I can live with characters surviving long times without food and running long distances.

Also, I suspect that most westerners wouldn't have 10 in Constitution. 10 is the average value in a pseudo-medival world where people would be in much better shape due to heavy manual labour and walking as the main mode of transportation. I would say that a programmer who takes the car to work, work by a computer and doesn't have any physical exercise during the weeks would be about Con 5-6.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
With Endurance you can:

-Endure extreme weather
-Resist disease
-Ignore hunger
-Ignore thirst
-Hold breath (each round after 5)
-Swim or tread water (after 1 hour)

Burr

First Post
More important than any of Endurance's detailed uses, I think, is that it allows high-Con character to do physical stuff in a Skill Challenge.

mmadsen

First Post
med stud said:
Also, I suspect that most westerners wouldn't have 10 in Constitution. 10 is the average value in a pseudo-medival world where people would be in much better shape due to heavy manual labour and walking as the main mode of transportation. I would say that a programmer who takes the car to work, work by a computer and doesn't have any physical exercise during the weeks would be about Con 5-6.
Most modern people have very little endurance as described by the skill -- they've never been truly hungry or thirsty, nor spent all day in the sun and all night without shelter -- but they are healthier than pre-industrial people, because they've been so well fed all their lives, and they've avoided debilitating diseases.

I'm not sure D&D has a good way to model such a "soft but healthy" condition, but low endurance skill and high constitution seems close.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads