Endur's Return to TOEE part 2

Endur

First Post
Lylamwyn looks at the book and quickly realizes that Raner is the best person to read it, for it is a book on mining written in dwarven.

After Raner reads through the torn book, he realizes that it is a set of instructions by a Master Miner to his apprentices. Although the book is missing parts, it describes many details of the mining operations that his clan was either using or planned to use, including the use of earth elementals.

Pyrex

First Post
"Given what Kerwyn saw while scouting I'm thinkin that the room where the big beastie was kept'd be the safest place for us to hole up. Not only is it nice 'n defensible but it gives us a clear shot at any one who comes lookin."

Endur

First Post
The party rests in the large room where they defeated the Huge Howler. The members of the party on watch load the Ballistas in the event of an attack.

During the middle watch, two human warriors enter through the double doors in area 1. The party members on watch easily take the two surprised warriors prisoner. The warriors were out hunting and brought back deer meat.

The warriors give their names as Det and Kef. They claim to be newly hired mercenaries and don't know much except that their employer was a half-elf named Merelcar. They were hired to defend the gate.

Thanee

First Post
Lenya

As she weaves her hand in a hypnotic pattern, Lenya says to Det: “Are you sure you havn't forgot anything?”

Afterwards, she says: “The gate is well-defended, as you see, but we could need some help with the rest of the mines. What are your typical earnings? I'm sure we can work something out.”

OOC: Using Charm on Det. And Diplomacy on both.

Endur

First Post
Det and Kef are eager and willing to work for Lenya. They want 1 gp a week in pay, plus 1 gp per fight plus any loot they scavenge.

Det adds to Lenya, "There are four lesser temples in the mines, Earth, Wind, Water, and Fire. In the center is the Greater Temple, the Temple of Evil. Only the Priests are allowed to visit the Temple of Evil."

Thanee

First Post
Lenya

“We all know, that this is a dangerous place here. To make sure, that you understand, that I appreciate your help, I will give you ten times that much as payment. 10 gp per week and for every fight you participate in. In addition, if I especially like what you do, you'll receive a generous bonus as well. And once your service ends, you are free to go, which is something you could not expect from your former employers, who would probably simply have killed you and turned you into some walking corpse at some point, so consider yourself lucky, as I really doubt, that this is a fate you would gladly embrace! As for the loot, however, you certainly understand, that there are a few more interested in what we find down here and I cannot just give you all that you pick up, of course. But you will not leave here with empty hands, either. You will get some share of the valuables, but not from the enchanted goods we find. You might get some of those issued for use or as a bonus, though.”

OOC: I suppose the Charm did work, since you didn't say anything to the opposite? Wow, didn't know that it has such a long duration, I thought it was just 1h/lvl like Charm Person.

Last edited:

Endur

First Post
Det agrees to Lenya's offer.

Kef glares at Det and responds, "We don't want what you find. We want what WE find. If we take all the risk of killing some terrible monster and we take its diamond or pick up its enchanted weapon, we want to keep it. So anything we find, we take the risk, and we keep.

"Standard mercenary scavenger rights."

Thanee

First Post
Lenya

“That would be fine, if you were fighting alone... but that does not seem very likely. Do you think I would send you in there alone? How far do you think would you get? You don't take all the risk, thus you won't get all the treasure either. As I said, if you do your job well, you will find yourself with a decent enough share of the loot. And you will get some of the stuff we find to use, to better our all chances here. But who is going to keep what depends on a little more than who dealt the killing blow.”

Seonaid

Explorer
Toriah's eyes almost pop out of his head when he hears Lenya's offer to the mercenaries. He restrains himself from saying anything, wondering at her methods.

Remove ads