Enemy Among Us (DM: Stringbean2142, Judge: TwoHeadsBarking)

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
[sblock=Chains]Hmm, I had forgotten about that. The wording of the power is "If the target moves before the end of your next turn, it takes 2d6 extra cold damage," Compare it to the wording of a Swordmage's Chilling Blow, "target takes cold damage equal to your Constitution modifier each time it attacks until the start of your next turn."

I'm inclined to say that the damage can only happen once, since the condition is if the target moves, not each time the target moves. It's a little brutal for a level 1 encounter otherwise.

Judge? Have any words of wisdom to impart upon us? I admit that I'm a little uncomfortable using precision of language as a basis for interpreting powers, given WotC's wretched track record with saying what they mean.[/sblock]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
[sblock=Chains and Chainer]
You can just say that mage goes before Martelai and Catein needs to delay to make use of it.

Since Catein wouldn't know that Martelai will do, everything goes to next round effects.

We already cleared that any movement (even forced) triggers the effect. It's only rarely set that whole party has an ability and time to spend on such actions. Of course, it is killer against solos and elites if every movement triggers the damage...but even extra 2d6 is fine (and Martelai already spent AP to do it so nobody else has to)
[/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
[sblock=Chains]Hmm, I had forgotten about that. The wording of the power is "If the target moves before the end of your next turn, it takes 2d6 extra cold damage," Compare it to the wording of a Swordmage's Chilling Blow, "target takes cold damage equal to your Constitution modifier each time it attacks until the start of your next turn."

I'm inclined to say that the damage can only happen once, since the condition is if the target moves, not each time the target moves. It's a little brutal for a level 1 encounter otherwise.

Judge? Have any words of wisdom to impart upon us? I admit that I'm a little uncomfortable using precision of language as a basis for interpreting powers, given WotC's wretched track record with saying what they mean.[/sblock]

[sblock=Judge Here]
Reading it I can't imagine it being Each time it moves either. It's a lvl 1 encounter that already has the ability to do 4d6+con dmg, which is pretty great and has a strong controller vibe. If it can all of a sudden do 2d6 extra on forced movement then it's broken IMHO. get a bard, AP, boom 4d6 extra damage, the fighter push, then AP push again, boom, more 4d6 goodness. It could very, very easily add 16d6 this way if each member of the group used an AP and had forced movement (which many at-will powers do). I read it as the target does the moving it triggers, but not if the target is forced to move.

[/sblock]

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
ooc: Well, either it triggered off the forced movement, or it triggered when the mage shifted. Either way it happened, but it's only going to happen once.

Remove ads